If you have been searching far and wide for the most interesting job in the world, you might have landed on the term ‘Data Scientist’.
Several questions have been thrown into understanding who data scientists are and what they do, what skills they possess and how they contribute their expertise to the world’s problems. There is no one definition of a data scientist, they are more of a collective from various educational backgrounds, work experiences and expertise.
If you are excellent with numbers and data interpretation, this just might be your thing. More often, a data scientist is considered someone who can decode difficult data and interpret its importance to the organisation. It involves the process of aggregating, hand- picking and validating the right information from the cluster to make better decisions. For this, one needs to have a solid foundation of statistics and probability, a core understanding of business domains, software or computer programming knowledge and the ability to communicate these terms to the audience.
As confusing as this may sound, there is no one way to pinpoint what exactly a data scientist does. But for reference, there are skills that one needs to become an incredible data scientist.
Here are a few:
- The ability to spot data analytic issues and fix them to benefit the firm
- Writing or modifying critical algorithms to help maximise results
- Ability to ensure credible, high quality and optimal data for accurate, minimal risk and reliable results
- Ability to interpret the implications through communication to fellow engineers, teams and top management and project the future numbers
- Take ownership and explore different ways to leverage data to accomplish business goals without relying on management expertise
- Spot potential risks or losses that would derive from the data at hand and bring in remedial measures to ensure minimum damage to the firm
To summarise, there are no particular characteristics that define a data scientist. The nature of their work is broad in scope and different areas require different statistical models that have to be worked with. A few data scientists could be experts in some fields while others might have conquered maybe machine learning or model recreation.
You could also choose an android development course to see where your skills could match the requirements. As long as an individual has a solid understanding of Data, business intelligence, statistics and is a subject matter expert in whichever field, he is tuned to become a data scientist sooner than later.
To gain a better understanding of what the scientist does, you could pick from the options of big data course or data science course in India. With the boom in Database technologies, where there is innovation almost every day, products and services constantly change to beat competitors in the marketplace. With so much focus and constant growth in this space, there has never been a better time to consider or even become a data scientist.