Errors in web design affect the effectiveness of the website, so it is very important to get them out. In this article we will give examples of errors in web design, and also we will show how they can be avoided.
1. The ill-conceived layout
Users come to your site because they need information, but if this information is poorly organized, they go away. Therefore, the entire structure of the page must be thought out so that the user can understand where to find what he needs, just by running his eyes through it.
To prevent major web design mistakes from reaching your next layout:
- Always use a grid. It divides the layout into vertical and / or horizontal guides, around which the content of the page is built.
- Apply the rule of two third: divide the image into 9 identical parts (3 x 3) and place the object to which you want to draw attention at the intersection of these lines.
- Adhere to the rule of the golden section - you do not even need to do the calculations manually, just use one of the many online calculators. The page layout is divided into two parts, large (a) and smaller (b), with (a + b): a = a: b.
2. Inconvenient navigation
If the user can’t find a link to go to any section of the site, he simply decides that there is no such section. In addition, clicking on the menu item, the user expects to go to the appropriate section of the site, and with drop-down menus, he has to again choose where to go:
Remember the following:
- The user expects that the horizontal navigation will be at the top and the vertical navigation will be on the left.
- If the partitions are small, do not use the drop-down menus.
- The most attention is drawn to the items that go first and at the end. Therefore, place all the most important at the beginning, and let the last item be the data for communication.
3. Inconsistency in page design
When the pages of one site have a different design, it can be confusing (after all, visually the user may feel that he moved to another site). In addition, if the placement of the navigation and the search box changes from page to page, the overall impression of the site will be extremely negative.
What to do:
- Use the same color scheme on all pages.
- Make sure that the vertical and horizontal distances between the layout elements are the same everywhere.
- Headings on different pages should be the same size.
- Do not change the location of navigation on different pages.
- Adhere to a single link design.
- Use icons made in one style.
- Ensure the unity of the design of the forms.
By knowing the three mistakes above and how to get rid of them, then you can go one step further in designing your website.