With the ongoing pandemic, it has become increasingly difficult to stay fit and exercise. People are finding new ways to get back a healthy lifestyle. Cooking food in a way that retains its nutritional value has become the top choice and using Dutch ovens is one of the best ways to do so. Here are some healthy Dutch oven recipes to get you started:
Full of fresh vegetables, pasta, and tasty broth, this is a classic dish you can’t miss!
- Elbow macaroni
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp dry red wine
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup celery stalks
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup zucchini
- 14 ounce canned tomatoes, diced
- 14-ounce canned kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil, sage, and oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt, ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Over medium heat, sauté celery, onion, zucchini, and carrot in extra virgin olive oil till softened.
- Add garlic, basil, and oregano.
- Add wine, followed by vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, and sage. Bring to boil and simmer to add pasta. Cook for 9-10mins.
- Add spinach and cook for 2mins. Add seasoning to taste, serve with parsley.
2. Greek style tomato-braised beans
This is a versatile dish, rich in aroma and flavour! Immerse yourself in the delightfully creamy texture. Healthy eating has never been tastier or easier.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pound lima beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 28 ounce canned tomatoes
- 3 cup vegetable stock
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and sauté onion till translucent.
- Add garlic, oregano, and paprika. Followed by beans, tomatoes, and stock.
- Season, and bring to boil.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 1.5 hours till ready.
3. One-pot chilli chicken
Who doesn’t like a satisfying bowl of chicken packed with flavour? Make this in a jiffy in your Dutch oven and enjoy a healthy and equally delicious meal.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 56 oz canned tomatoes, crushed
- Whole cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded meat
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil and sauté onions and garlic for 3mins. Add bell peppers, chilli powder, sugar, salt, paprika, and cumin; stir till tender on medium heat.
- In high heat, add tomatoes, broth, and shredded chicken and let boil. Cover immediately and let simmer for 10mins in reduced heat.
- Serve with preferred sides like taco shells, cornbread, etc.
4. Vegetarian Thai Curry
Don’t miss out on delectable cuisines due to your diet. Enjoy Thai flavours with a healthy punch, packed with nutrients.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 240g artichoke hearts can
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 sliced bell pepper
- 1 sliced zucchini
- Lime juice
- Heat oil and sauté onions till golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, red curry paste and stir for a minute.
- Add the vegetables and stir till slightly cooked.
- Add the stock, soy sauce, coconut milk, and sugar. Bring to a boil and let simmer till vegetables turn soft.
- Add bell peppers, zucchini, and seasoning to taste. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot and squeeze lime juice for added flavour.
5. Garlic Basil Shrimp Farrotto
Add a healthy twist to your regular risotto with farro instead of rice! This is a well-rounded meal in itself, with earthy flavours and a creamy texture to blow your mind.
- 2 cups farro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ small onion diced
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds peeled shrimp
- 1 cup chopped basil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In 2 inches of water boil farro in the Dutch oven till tender but firm, around 25 mins. Drain.
- In the same pot, sauté onions till translucent and add garlic and a generous amount of seasoning.
- Add wine and stir till evaporated.
- Add broth slowly while stirring till farro is creamy.
- Season and add the shrimp; stir for 2-3mins. Use broth to maintain creaminess.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, basil, and lemon juice. Serve hot.