A Chilean copper and gold mine that is located 500 miles in the North of Santiago collapsed since August 5. That is 69 days since the 33 miners have been trapped underground. On August 31, rescuers team landed on the place and started to drill a preliminary test hole with a 31-ton drill. The process was interrupted on September 2 due to geological faults and at this moment engineers suggest that a rescue within 4 months would be optimistic.
Finally, the process had to continue and these men have all been rescued and taken to hospital for medical check up. All these miners do not have the same age and were not rescued at the same time. The eldest man who was rescued, Mario Gomez, 63, is being treated for pneumonia and the lung disease silicosis. The second man out of the mine, Mario Sepulveda, also has silicosis and two of the miners are receiving dental surgery. Others have gotten sight trouble. The miners had been told they would need to be held in the hospital for 48 hours. Despite this, their medical doctors said they are surprised by their general good condition. All of the miners are now in hospital in Copiapo, being treated in two different wards that have been darkened to allow them to adjust to the light. But officials revealed that they may leave hospital within 48 hours and join their respective families as early as this Thursday, October 13.
It is believed that this country was stretched out in a near perfect rescue operation that concluded when the last miner, Mr Luis Urzua became the last man freed from the trap. Indeed, he surfaced to jubilant cheers at around 9:55 pm local time on Wednesday, that is at 24: 55 GMT on Thursday. This was the end of this rescue operation that lasted more than 22 hours.
For the Chilean Head of State Sebastian Pinera, the country showed unity and strength than ever in this hardship. As for the future of this mine, we wonder if all these miners will ever return to the underground elsewhere, considering what has happened to them. Elsewhere because, the president said that this mine will definitely never open again. This statement came out after a dizzying day in which these 33 miners were pulled out thanks to a narrow escape chute from nearly ½ mile down in under 23 full hours. He also mentioned that the conditions that lead to this incident cannot go unpunished. Those who are responsible will support any outcomes. This rescue was too hard and it would cost between 10 and 20 million Us $.
The job of miners is too risky considering the way this is done. However, it should be noted that mines are in good state as not to endanger the lives of the minors. The mines should for instance have more than one entry and exit. This would easy the rescue process in case miners are trapped inside. But thanks God the efforts of the rescuing team did not fail. So, they need applaud as they achieved their mission.