Mobile phone and app usage has surpassed all records and expectations in the past couple of years. Smartphone users have been spending more time in apps than in years past, and now use more than 30 apps on a monthly basis as per a new report from App Annie. The 30 apps are estimated to be one-third to one-half of the apps users have installed on their phones. Using apps has become a daily habit and people on an average use 9 apps every day says this report. An interesting insight into the app user demographic shows that iPhone users tended to use slightly more apps than Android users, the report shows.
Needless to say the time is quite opportune for iOS app development and following the money. The stimulus for this growth is the overarching phenomenon of ‘mobile-first’, where businesses look to the mobile as a primary channel of communication with their customers. Any brand that is seeking to survive the digital wave and the competition must accept mobile as an essential to its strategy. For companies considering to go the app way, there are definite advantages of outsourcing compared to in-house development. From cost-effectiveness to expertise, we bring you the top five reasons that you should consider for outsourcing your iOS app development:
1. Faster time to market: Mobile app development companies and teams specialize in app creation and optimization, no matter the size or complexity. The experience and expertise they have gained over the years, means that not only do they project a realistic time frame to the client but also ensure timely delivery of important milestones so that the app development is profitable in terms of developer hours. They are well aware of the implications of missed deadlines and will turn around the project in the most efficient time frame for them to move on with their pipeline.
2. In-depth research: The skill to collate a database of information on the intended audience and the industry is key to the success of any app development project. Experienced app development firms conduct in-depth market research and also use existing reports to deliver an effective app. Understanding the market environment, target personas and the intent of this app is what separates a good app from an average one. Quality app developers know this difference and strive to make every project shine out.
3. Higher productivity: When you in-source your mobile app development, it is likely that your in-house team has several other projects to multi-task with. The team might just treat your app development project as one part of their to-do list. They may not be motivated enough to maintain the app well causing slower version releases, bug fixing and so on.
But when you outsource iOS application development, you can rest assured the company you hire will be dedicated and engaged in your app as that is their raison d'être. This ensures higher motivation levels and productivity. Doing the same type of projects repeatedly makes them specialists in their own right.
4. Quality assurance: Mobile app testing is a difficult, costly, time consuming and error prone process. There is no ‘One solution fits all’ remedy. There is a wide range of solutions and products out there for automation; picking one takes time and trial and error. Consider the exhaustive range of tools. For frameworks there are tools like Appium, Robotium, Calabash, Espresso, for infrastructure you have local machines, real devices, and emulators, and for cloud providers Sauce Labs, Testdroid, Perfecto etc.
Specialized app development teams are well-versed in QA and testing and ensure smooth, bug free and app-store ready applications. They are well-versed with ASO criteria (app store optimization) and also understand the reasons for App Store rejection. Therefore, they typically deliver first-time right and quality apps.
5. Monetization: There are three main approaches to monetizing your iOS app: advertising, premium paid app, in-app purchases. Some businesses also opt for affiliations, sponsorships, etc. This is where your professional app development partner can put their wealth of experience and expertise to good use. An app development company knows all the tricks of the trade and can be your strategic consultant to take the best route for app profitability. What’s more they can help you leverage the right marketing channels and strategy based on your location, type of app and user personas.
Summary: Building an app might be a relatively easy undertaking but building a successful app is quite the fine art. You need the guiding light of someone that’s been there and done that. Outsourcing your iOS app development might be the smart thing to do if you are new to the territory. Do you have any thoughts or feedback on this subject? Please let us know in the comments section below.