Saturday, October 21, 2017

She Must Live in a Bubble

Credit: (c) Jason Davis
Dear Shari...

When did living one's life positively become living unrealistically? Why do we accept being negative as a much more realistic way to live? We all have choices. What do you c

“How can you possibly be so happy all the time?” “You must be in denial.” “Do you live in a bubble?”

These are statements and questions I’ve heard most of my life. When did our society decide that being positive is unrealistic or one must be living in a bubble or living in denial? Why is it that we’ve accepted negativity as a realistic way of living? Perhaps some think it’s easier to expect the worst so they aren’t let down. Let me tell you something, though, about expecting the worst; you’re always going to find it. Even when beautiful things might be right in front of you, you won’t even have the eyes to see it because you are too busy looking for something to be wrong.

Being positive doesn’t mean living in denial or not acknowledging certain events in your life. It’s about recognizing them, taking the lessons from them and then using those lessons to better yourself. You then can always walk in the wisdom that ALL events in your life are for the betterment of your spirit even when you don’t have the sight to see it.

So how does one become happy? Happiness isn’t something you achieve through a job, another person, money, fame or anything outside of yourself for that matter. Happiness is a choice and it’s something that you decide to be. So that’s it? CHOOSE to be happy? Yes! There it is. No big secret. You don’t actually have to do much. Then again, one of the hardest things to do is to find gratitude for the simple things in our lives. Another secret: the simple things are usually the most beautiful.

So perhaps I do live in a bubble. Maybe I am in denial. But, I believe that we all have choices in this world and I CHOOSE to sit in the light instead of the darkness. I know there are a lot of people sitting in a dark corner more than willing for me to join them. But I’m good. Thanks for the invite though.

*Over the coming weeks, you will probably notice the continual theme of positivity in my posts because I have found that when I allow myself to see the beauty in the world, the beauty always shows up! This is what I will continually share with all of you each week. This is what motivates me. This is what I’m passionate about. Life! And getting everyone on board with living!

For daily inspiration and to find out more about me, please feel free to check out my website www.sharingwithshari.com . Also, on Friday’s, you can find my advice column right here under “Dear Shari.” You can write in regarding any article I write, or any advice you want in general. Please email me at shari@sharingwithshari.com . All emails are anonymous. I look forward to your questions!

Shari G is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on She Must Live in a Bubble

By 'Mean' Mike Duffau on June 15, 2011 at 09:37 am

bravo on your first column and to this great piece! funny how the happiest things are the simplist while i make things difficult for myself at times...with these write-ups i can learn alot but it takes constant practice...thanks champ!

By teddyD on June 15, 2011 at 10:56 am

"Californians are so fake!" This is the reason I moved out of New York City. Somehow the dark cynicism of New Yorkers never struck me as more "real" than the positivity of the Californians I met when I visited here. I think I'm a fair balance of skepticism and mirth but I'd rather be surounded by positivity.

Thanks, Shari, for the article and congratulations on this cool endeavor!

By Shari G on June 15, 2011 at 01:22 pm

You guys have made me smile even bigger than I usually do! :) I'm so happy to be able to share a little sunshine with all of you each week! I'm grateful, appreciative and damn excited to be given this opportunity to do what my heart calls me to do. That is to love and to share a whole bunch of it! :)

By Shari G on June 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Melody - you make me smile from ear to ear! I'll join you on the rainbow! Spread your love girl! xo

By JohnM on June 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Ya!! Congrats on the first of many more awesome Articale's to come. You are an amazing writer and I'm so proud of you! Thank you for the inspiration you give to the world and me on a daily base! <3 Thank you a zillion times!

By charlie nitric on June 17, 2011 at 03:40 am

Hey Shari -

Wonderful post! Happiness is a perception; is the glass half empty or half full type of sighting. Happiness is attitude's vision allowing us to witness glory in a thunderstorm and beauty through the gray-sky rains that damper many people's weekend.

Happiness is seeking the cheer of relationship resolve, the combination of souls mediating, instead of resenting the obscure one-sided look where "I" prevails in that "I am always right." Happiness is the Christmas gift we can open each moment of our lives. Santa during the summer time in Chicago is a good thing.

This early morning is my first time to read you. How nice and thank you for that. Happy Friday to you and the Broowaha world. :)

By Caballero_69 on June 17, 2011 at 04:25 pm

Shari,

I reviewed, but did not comment aside from the review.

"Why is it that we’ve accepted negativity as a realistic way of living?"

I am dealing with this phenomenon in an article I wrote and in a larger context in a book I am currently working on. To me in my contexts, this and its variations seem to be an escape hatch.

If reality is inherently tragic and positive actions and ideals are hopelessly niave, all we have to do is endure. We do not have to get off our duff and do our stuff.

If I must go down, I would rather go down fighting for and toward what I believe is good and true and worthy rather than succumb to cynicism like some premature senility of the soul and thereby die long before dirt is thrown on my casket.

As a song once said, "To fight for the right without question or pause, to be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause, no matter how hopeless; no matter how far; to strive with one's last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable star." This is my quest.

People can call me niave or a pain in the ass, but I with you choose not only to sit in the light rather than the darkness, but to march toward it.

Great philosophy; great article. Keep it up - POSITIVELY!