Saturday, November 18, 2017

Man Plans, G-D Laughs

by taking off the mask (writer), Los Angeles, April 30, 2011

Credit: myself
Just another Shabbath

A simple example of the following phrase, brought into view based on today.

I pull on the blinds to peek out the window, a little cloudy but look like hope is near. I jump out of bed and start planning my outfit for the Sabbath lunch. I open the left side of my closet which is dedicated to Sabbath clothing and scan the colorful clothes before me. I spot my sister’s Juicy Couture baby blue dress with cute little gold buttons, perfect I think as I grab it out of the closet. I pair it with a white three quarter sleeve fitted shirt to wear under neither making the dress more modest. I then pull on some white heeled sandals and ponder which earrings I should finish the look with. I find gold thin hanging earrings which work well. I review my outfit in the long full length mirror leaning on my wall. “Perfect” I say smiling, this time out loud. I grab my key and was about to open the door to cross the drive way to my parents house when I noticed my bed looked nothing less of the result of a hurricane due to my tossing and turning night. Fine I think as I start the struggle to make my bed, it was never an easy bed to make because of the wood frame on the left side of it.

I finally finish and BOOM I hear a loud noise from outside and again peek out the window; it was as if rain was being poured from buckets, seriously? You must be kidding I think as I picture G-D, laughing at me. I look down at my summer outfit and shake my head in pure failure. I hang back up my dress, fold my white shirt, place my shoes back on the rack, and hang up my earrings. I make my way back to the closet this time looking for a more winter look.

I grab a gray button down dress that hits right above the knee and right under the elbows. Eh good enough I say as I close the closet. I put on a black short sleeve shell and black shoes. I hear the rain stopping on the other side of the door and decide to make a run for it. I open the door to see wet floors and puddles but a perfectly blue sky with a few white clouds, beautiful weather. You must be kidding I laugh as I shake my head. They say “Man plans, G-D laughs”, but I say “Man plans, G-D Laughs out loud.”

taking off the mask is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

6 comments on Man Plans, G-D Laughs

By taking off the mask on May 01, 2011 at 12:46 am

@Askcherlock - They have no idea how easy they have it. Let's not even get into the whole makeup topic. Guys have it easy, especially if G-D doesn't tease them with his humor

By Frank - icare2be on May 01, 2011 at 12:48 am

Wonderful tale. I have often chuckled and even chortled when I caught in G-D humorous life events. In days gone by Sabbath required a separate set of cloths to show respect and to put the best foot forward,

Now, I have seen jeans and shirts with holes. I am just glad they are there. I have found that some folks can not afford a separate set of cloths for Sabbath services.

I think G-D has the greatest sense of humor and sometimes enjoys being a trickster.

By taking off the mask on May 01, 2011 at 01:02 pm

well I can afford it because I worked 12 hours a day 5x a week inorder to buy clothing for over 6 months. I also do not spend a lot on my clothing, all of them cost less than $30 and some cost as little as $4 or $6 bucks (plus I share my clothing with my sisters and give the things I outgrow to the poor) . When theres a will theres a way. I also gave charity from every single pay check to help those who aren't as fortunate as I am. But I do not find having a seprate side of a closet for sabbath clothes a snoty thing to have, I worked for it, so I can enjoy it and show respect to the shabbath by dressing diffrently than i do the rest of the week.

By Frank - icare2be on May 01, 2011 at 01:33 pm

@TOTM - Please forgive me if my words inferred anything derogatory. That was definitely not my intent. I admire you and how you treat the Sabbath and now even more for your sharing with those less fortunate. Thank you for letting me know my words a negative side. I loved your tale and just wanted to share an observation. Please continue to share your thoughts on the Sabbath.

By taking off the mask on May 01, 2011 at 01:45 pm

@ Frank - icare2be - I am sorry, I misunderstood your comment and felt you were looking down on the fact I had shabbath clothing while other didn't have basic clothing

By taking off the mask on May 03, 2011 at 02:46 am

@Melody J Haislip - Good point!