Monday, December 11, 2017

Salvation Army takes credit and debt thanks to NC company

by BusinessLife (writer), The Carolinas, December 08, 2010

Credit: The Salvation Army of High Point, NC
Donate by credit or debt instead of loose change

Carolina company helps non-profit ring in 650% increase for charity

The Salvation Army has become a traditional part of the holidays as it's organization's volunteers ring the bell outside businesses all across the country to solicit funds for charity. But it took a company in Reidsville, N.C. to create the organization's ability to accept both credit and debt cards.

Don Brock, the President of Secure Pointe Technologies was featured on CBS affiliate WFMY News 2 in Greensboro, N.C. and said that his company tested the concept in Dallas and Atlanta first.

"The net result was, the average cash gift was $2, and the average donation with debit and credit was $15. So it was a 650% increase," said Brock.

Since last year's successful test, more than 100 Salvation Army organizations, including the Triad, picked up the card reader mechanism across the country.

"We went from two cities to over 100, so if we keep that up, I guess we'll probably be in a 1000 cities. Hopefully, in 30 to 40 states. And within three to five years, we want to saturate the country," said Brock.

He says he came up with idea after doing some research on the age group of 25 year-old adults and younger. Brock realized a credit card reader like you find in a grocery store would be a perfect solution for the generation that doesn't carry cash or checks,

"You just pick it up. You touch debit or credit. You actually punch in the amount you want to give and you swipe your card. It transmits in 2 to 5 seconds and you get two tax receipts back. You put one in the kettle, keep one for your taxes and you are done," Brock said.

The Salvation Army's new ways of giving doesn't stop there. A new iPhone app for the same purpose is expected to increase this year's donations, as is a new national “text-to-give” program enabling donations via text message.

Specifically, through Dec. 24, donors can text "GIVE" to 85944 to make a USD 10 donation to the Red Kettle Campaign.

Visit The Salvation Army for more information or check out the history of The Salvation Army's kettle.

BusinessLife is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

6 comments on Salvation Army takes credit and debt thanks to NC company

By BusinessLife on December 09, 2010 at 12:33 am

Askcherlock: I was even more pleased to find out that the region where I live is home to the company that developed this technology for the national non-profit organization. I would think that other non-profits might want to consider such technology to use at any fundraiser breakfasts, luncheons and so on so that people attending could truly donate on the spot! :) (So looking for the next article in your series. I could easily read a book on this story. I'm trying to be patient. I hope there are many more articles to follow as well. :)

By Kent5 on January 01, 2011 at 07:03 pm

It would be good to see this spread to more places. This past Christmas season, I worked as a Bell Ringer for the Salvation Army here in the San Diego area, and someone asked me if they were taking credit cards now (they aren't yet doing that here). If it could help them increase their donations anywhere as much as those statistics indicate, it would be a very good thing.

By BusinessLife on January 03, 2011 at 06:09 am

It's really an honor to hear from someone who gives of his time for the Salvation Army. Even when things can seem at their worst, there are always people who are in need more than I am. I have to admit that sometime it's hard to walk by the various bell ringers even when I have donated a bit. I have a suggestion. You may be able to let your local chapter know about the credit and debit card opportunity so that they can obtain access to this payment/donation method next holiday season for all bell ringers!! :) Thanks again for all you do.

By Paul Wylie on February 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I'm sorry, but I can not in good faith agree with ANYTHING in this article. The Savation Army has become little more than a taxpayer funded scam operation over the past 2 decades. I, as someone with expertise in the field, know that most of the 'national charities' are little more than rip off mob like corporate entities who spend most of their dollars garnered from the populace on further enriching themselves, period.

By BusinessLife on May 04, 2011 at 06:49 pm

Paul, I can't for one minute be any happier than to have someone offer another opinion or thought about something. Thank you for your honesty.

By BusinessLife on May 05, 2011 at 07:59 am

TAZZ - I am so humbled by your honesty. So many Americans live without a job and have no desire to do so. They are forced to live with very little and work as pizza delivery folks to try to feed a family of 4 when they once lived in large homes and had 6 figure salaries.

It has been very tough for me for the last few years as well. And indeed it has been a learning experience on how people perceive non-profit or charitable giving and the people who receive it. For me, when I have received and not been the one to give, I have always been so very thankful and blessed and become richer for the gifts for me and for my two boys.