Saturday, December 16, 2017

What is Happening to Our Country?

Questioning the integrity of politicians and the future of America.

Are the people of America going to do anything about the direction this country is going? Have we all became so lazy and complacent that we are going to sit around and just let these corrupt politicians make our decisions for us?

I'm not talking about just the goons in office now but those that want in office too. We need another Reagan--someone that believes in this country. I've attended the teaparty movements but I'm still not sure they have the answers either.

The average middle class American doesn't seem to have a voice anymore. It's so expensive just to maintain a comfortable lifestyle that there isn't time to do anything but work. I was born in 85--my generation is the future.

There are some shady and disgusting things being done in Washington but no one takes it any of it seriously because Fox News is such joke. The media is controlled by the government anyways so looking for the truth is like being Sherlock Holmes. I mean, what is going on? I'm curious what others are thinking that are sick and tired of the greed and the lying and I don't care if your liberal, conservative, democrat or republican. What are people already doing to get out and change things around? I want to be there too.

master of none is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

13 comments on What is Happening to Our Country?

By Libdrone on October 27, 2010 at 03:26 am

Fox News is controlled by the government, which is controlled by the Obama administration??? I hear your rant, but you confuse your facts, which makes it less effective.

By Lady D on October 27, 2010 at 01:11 pm

I believe that this is a great time for inner reflection. We can change our thinking to see just how we are interconnected.

The 50's way of thinking (us vs them) is dying. We must evolve to be more.

There are great frontiers ahead. Life is moving, what we see is the past.

By Lynda Lehmann on October 28, 2010 at 03:54 pm

I wrote a poem on this very dilemma, last night, which I will post soon, if I can get up the nerve to do so. I can certainly empathize with your consternation.

Make your voice heard, brainstorm with others for solutions, vote, keep writing, use you influence at school or in the workplace. You are young enough to vest some time in making this a better world, and it will enhance YOU in the process.

"Us versus them" is the prevailing mentality, and as we all can see, it's getting us nowhere. I feel bad for people who are addicted to the idea of an evil generalized-other, don't you?

Hang on to your dreams and don't get discouraged!

By master of none on October 28, 2010 at 05:11 pm

@Libdrone When I said that the government controls the media I was referring to the FCC which is the federal communications committee.

@Lady D it is a time for inner reflection and deep consternation.

@Lynda Lehmann put your poem up! I am going to keep writing because it is all I can do at this point. I don't work or go to school and I move around to much to vote. I really appreciate your comment. I wrote another rant on my blog today but am hesitant to post it on here.

By master of none on October 28, 2010 at 11:09 pm

@Hurricane Dean A grassroots movement is what I would love. Something to vote for.

By master of none on October 29, 2010 at 07:06 am

@TheTAZZone I'll stick with the writing until I can find a group worth supporting. I would like to get very active but I have to find the right group. lol, or start my own..mwahahaha

By Lynda Lehmann on October 31, 2010 at 03:57 pm

TheTAZZone and HurricaneDean, I was a member of so many peace and environmental groups at one time that my husband threatened to divorce me. Really!

I was always amazed at how the various groups corroborated (or am I looking for a different word?) each other's premises, and the bent of truth I found by being so involved. I saw the nuclear issue as the "mother" of all peace, justice, environmental and public health issues, so I made that my focus. What was life altering for me was reading Dr. Helen Caldicott's books and realizing how are removed our everyday reality is, from ultimate negative potentialities that are very real and certainly exist to this day, especially when coupled with the idea of terrorism.

I ask both of you, whatever happened to "initiative and referendum," and has that happened only in California? I am way out of the loop now, but I could no longer look into the abyss while raising our child.

master of none, see, you have stimulated this conversation and that in itself is a good thing. and why not publish your other "rant" here, as Broowaha seems to be an intelligent and supportive community?

By Lynda Lehmann on October 31, 2010 at 04:10 pm

I forgot to say that I believe in grassroots action. I feel that I've seen it influence legislation on a national level, although that would be hard to prove.

But it takes great commitment to make change, and it seems the American people only find a political will when they are personally sliding underwater.

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on November 11, 2010 at 07:33 am

Leaders' powers come from the population; in this way, the leaders must involve this population in managing the country. The future of a country will not be in the hands of a certain category of people but this is the issue of everyone. The grassroots have good ideas if they are consulted and involved.

By Agit8r on November 13, 2010 at 02:26 am

"AS soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall. When it is necessary to march out to war, they pay troops and stay at home: when it is necessary to meet in council, they name deputies and stay at home. By reason of idleness and money, they end by having soldiers to enslave their country and representatives to sell it." -- J.J. Rousseau

By Lynda Lehmann on November 13, 2010 at 08:49 am

Good quote. I think that when people are "too comfortable" they become complacent and sell out.

By Caballero_69 on March 13, 2011 at 05:58 pm

I think we should heed the admonition of Robert F. Kennedy,

Laws can embody standards; governments can enforce laws—but the final task is not a task for government. It is a task for each and every one of us. Every time we turn our heads the other way when we see the law flouted—when we tolerate what we know to be wrong—when we close our eyes and ears to the corrupt because we are too busy, or too frightened—when we fail to speak up and speak out—we strike a blow against freedom and decency and justice."

June 21, 1961

Although there are some "goons in office", we must not allow this to pllunge us into defeatism or despair. Now is the time to rise up and live out the true meaning of the American creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident - all are equal, governments are instituted among men, it is our right and it is our duty to alter or abolish forms of government that become destructive of the rights and principles they were created to secure. I do not mean we should resort to violence; I mean we should stand up, speak out

Steppenwolf echoes RFK -

"Don't be silent, agitate, yes, rock the boatSpeak your mind, say your peace, go cast your voteWhen you see wrong don't look away, go do what's rightNever take it lying down, stand up and fightGot to keep on tryin' 'n make the best of what we gotAin't no use in sighin' make the best of what we gotAin't no use denyin' the time is now, ready or not."Don't be silent, agitate, make the best of what you gotDon't be silent, agitate, make the best of what you got

By Caballero_69 on March 13, 2011 at 06:05 pm

In the previous comment, the quote from Best of What You Got was garbled and crammed together. This is what it should be --

"Don't be silent, agitate, yes, rock the boat!

Speak your mind, say your peace, go cast your vote.

When you see wrong don't look away, go do what's right.

Never take it lying down, stand up and fight!

Got to keep on tryin' 'n make the best of what we got.

Ain't no use in sighin' make the best of what we got;

Ain't no use denyin' the time is now, ready or not.

Don't be silent, agitate, make the best of what you got!