Sunday, December 17, 2017

What Is A Country For?

by Ray Colon (writer), Tobyhanna, PA, October 22, 2010

Credit: AFLCIO creative commons Flickr
The persistently high unemployment rate has made uncertainty our common bond.

"For the concept of unemployment benefits to be viewed as a bail out, is to miss the point entirely."

Earlier this year, prior to the Pennsylvania Primary, I wrote this blog post. With the midterms just 11 days away, it seems appropriate that I share it with my Broos. Elections matter, and in my lifetime I'd say that this one matters more than most. I ask that you vote your conscience, vote your outrage, or vote your hope. But please don't choose to sit this one out.

I’ve worked hard all of my life.

Most people can make this claim, so I’m not special. In life, I’ve experienced my share of ups and downs. Some of the lows were self-induced while others could be attributed to happenstance. The same can be said for the highs.

Except for one period of unemployment, I’ve worked continually since my first job at the local bodega at 14. As an adult, I’ve worked for some great companies, so my family has access to health insurance through my job. We live in a modest home with only two hundred and nineteen payments remaining on our mortgage. A number of payments have been late in recent years, but we’ve somehow managed to hang on. My 401(k) plan has even reclaimed some of the losses that it sustained during the stock market slump of a few years ago.

The American dream is possible.

As many would attest, making it through the last few years has been a struggle. Fortunately, for my family, we are not among the hardest hit by the faltering economy. When assessing my situation I can say, unequivocally, that hard work has not been the determining factor.

Lots of people can tell a very different story that begins the same as mine, “I’ve worked hard all of my life.”

Their stories, however, include things like:

• losing a job and their health insurance;
  • getting sick and having to sell their homes to pay for their treatment;
  • having the interest on their adjustable rate mortgages jacked up to unmanageable levels and falling behind.

If those of us who are not experiencing these nightmare scenarios are unwilling to pitch-in and help our friends and neighbors, I ask you, what is a country for?

What is a country for if good fortune is mistakenly viewed as self-sufficiency? Those who claim that results are determined solely by individual action are massaging their egos. The false dichotomy of this “cause and effect” argument prompts much of the irrationality and short-sightedness of the conservative ideology. I can recall many instances in my life where things could have easily gone another way, and there was nothing that I could have done about it.

People tend to project their circumstance upon others when making judgments:

• “I have a job, so why can’t she get one.”
  • “I pay my mortgage, so why should the government help those that have fallen behind.”
  • “I have health insurance, so I’m not paying for yours.”

To those people I ask: What is a country for?

Are we just a loose collection of people bound together by nothing? Is the idea of having a safety net so repugnant that every effort to strengthen it should be shouted down?

Had there been a Tea Party uprising in response to unfunded mandates like the wars, prescription benefits, and tax cuts that mostly benefited the rich, I would be able to take them more seriously now. To me, their message of fiscal responsibility is no more than a clumsy cover for their general displeasure with being out of power. Moreover, their message is often mean-spirited in nature and devoid of hope.

If we do not care for the fates of our neighbors, why should we continue the charade? One cannot love their country, but hate the people that are in it. Hard work helps, but hard work alone, as many of us know, guarantees nothing.

Do we really want to become a country where everyone is basically on their own?

If so, I ask again, what is a country for?

Ray Colon is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on What Is A Country For?

By Lady D on October 22, 2010 at 01:09 pm

I am currently on unemployment. Many large companies are just asking for resumes they are not actually hiring.

We need to see with new eyes and quit believing the propaganda of 50's thinking.

By Ray Colon on October 22, 2010 at 01:22 pm

Hi Lady D,

You're in a difficult place right now, and I hope that your employment prospects improve soon. I've posted a couple of job ads in recent months and was overwhelmed by the number of qualified applicants who responded in just the first day. The unemployment rate doesn't even begin to tell the story of the pain being inflicted on our citizens. Keep the faith. Ray

By BusinessLife on October 22, 2010 at 01:25 pm

What is sad but true is that 7.9 million jobs have been lost and still counting. Many of these jobs will not be available again.

If some jobs are available, these positions may be contract positions with no healthcare benefits or part-time positions, again with no benefits.

And being unemployed for more than 6 months is apparently inexcusable to many companies/corporations. These businesses and head hunters will not pass along resumes with qualified candidates if the person has not held a full-time job within the last 6 months. It's back to how can I get a job if I don't have a job. And it sounds so much like getting out of college when one says, 'how can I have the experience a company requires when no one will give me the chance to get the experience in the first place?' The beat goes on in a most distasteful way for millions who want to work.

By Ray Colon on October 22, 2010 at 01:54 pm

Hi BusinessLife, you've described a cirsumstance that has ensnared many. Clearly, it is not unusual for people to be out of work for six months these days, so it's particularly distressing for job seekers to have the length of their employment gap viewed as a strike against them -- one more hurdle to overcome.

I'm in year one of paying for my daughter's college tuition, and I cringe when I consider the economic conditions that may be awaiting her when she enters the job market after four years of hard work.

Ray

By Theresa H Hall on October 22, 2010 at 06:55 pm

A real and viable option is encouraging and supporting the new energy jobs, because if I understand correctly, this will not only get our country moving in the right direction again, but will create millions of jobs. The infrastructure needs to be updated from coast-to-coast, and this also would create many, many jobs.

What an appropriate and sensitive article.

By Ray Colon on October 23, 2010 at 09:16 am

Hi Theresa,

I agree. Much of the future job creation will be in the efforts to go green. This is one area where the government can play an important role in spurring innovation. It will take some time to get to the point where the cost of green technologies comes down enough for most to afford. For instance, I would love to have solar panals on my roof, but the cost is still too high for me. Ray

By Credo on December 30, 2013 at 12:12 am

The economic signs suggest that times will appear very bleak, the jobs are falling by the way side and people are losing confidence in the system. Something most change...

:)Credo