Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Audacity of Lies: Turning Abused Children into Gold

by joshuaallen (writer), Los Angeles, September 29, 2010

Credit: Joshua Allen
Turning Abused Children into Gold

Treating abused children as commercial assets is offensive and objectionable. There must be another way.

“When the only thing you have ever worked with are words, how can you not lie?”

Politicians running for office such as Governor Brown and Los Angles DA Steven Cooley have found a legitimate “culture of corruption,” with the prosecution of the corrupt and pathetic leadership of the city of Bell. Handpicked city council members were paid close to 100 thousand dollars a year to work part time, and voted or acquiesced, to city managers and the police chief who paid themselves millions of dollars in salary and pension benefits over less than half a decade.

So what does this have to do with foster care?

As I noted previously, CEO’s of Foster Care Agencies have used the same model of corruption for years, putting friends and cronies on their board of directors who in exchange for- Lord knows what- vote huge and inappropriate salaries to administrators, CEO’s and whatever connected family and friends are allowed in on the spoils.

The latest Foster Agency to be snared in this culture of corruption is Teens Happy Homes which is run by CEO Beautina Robinson and administrator Dr. Nikki Milani.

Dr. Milani and family is expected to leave within the next 2 weeks as county audits continue a thorough investigation examining the inner workings of an agency that grew in just 2 or 3 years from caring for over 20 cases of abused and neglected children to over 200 children.

For those not familiar with the foster agency system in Los Angeles, this represents a great deal of money. Similar money to the corrupt takings from those involved with the city of Bell and, thus the comparison.

We are speaking about millions of dollars of tax dollars, and if you work it right, a lot of it can be yours!

A foster care agency with 200 cases of abused and neglected children may gross more than 5 million $5,000,000 annually with just a fraction of these monies actually making its way to foster parents for the care of abused and neglected children.

Five (5) or ten million dollars a year is a lot of money for a bent agency to divide up between friends and family members. The trick, for the more astute, is to ensure foster children remain properly cared for, just enough to allow the agency to stay under the county auditor’s radar while friends and family grow fat off the land. (Well actually, fat off of the abused children.)

Details about why Dr. Milani and friend have to leave are a bit hazy, but seem to have something to do with how she bought into Teens Happy Homes FFA contract, paying Beautina Robinson 10’s of thousands of dollars (contrary to county and state regulation if not law) to buy into the agency. This purchase of a large or even a controlling interest allowed Dr. Milani to install herself and cronies on the board of directors of Teens Happy Homes.

This controlling interest is very important since Agency Board Members vote and control salaries and hiring. Therefore Dr. Milani was able to control her own salary and personnel evaluations as well as the large salary of a family member who along with Dr. Milani is being forced to leave their positions at Teens Happy Homes.

One source quotes CEO Beautina Robinson as characterizing the payment by Dr. Milani as a “charitable donation,” rather than an outright payment for agency control. Of course, - everything is on the up and up!

Yes ladies and gentlemen, it is now official. According to Ms. Robinson, we must be stupid.

County auditors continue to comb through agency books daily and the investigation by no means ends with the departure of Dr. Milani and family.

Dr. Milani was last heard from as administrator for disgraced CEO Craig Woods of the now defunct agency United Care. United Care later shut down after the death of Viola Vanclief who died from being bashed on the head with a hammer and whose foster parent Kiana Barker is currently being charged with her murder.

Dr. Milani was an administrator for United Care for many years and it would appear she was in a strong position to understand the allegedly corrupt and unethical business practices she may have witnessed there. It is alleged for example, that United Care has yet to return over $200,000 dollars from the quarter million the county says is still owed them because of some type of fraud or misappropriation a few years back. Unfortunately this is not unusual in the foster agency system in Los Angeles.

Milani was said to have come to Teens Happy Homes with the goal of doing things differently, but apparently this was not the case. Evidently, setting your own (and family members) salary can be quite seductive. One can only imagine the glowing descriptions present on her mandatory employee evaluations. Clearly worth the paper they were printed on.

At the beginning, Dr. Milani almost doubled the census case numbers (abused children) for Teens Happy Homes, and brought over (stole) many foster families from United Care. Several of these foster parents found it to be a profitable move in many ways, and many liked Milani personally and were only too happy to leave United Care.

The county frowns on this practice but has been unable to prevent it. Treating abused and neglected children as commercial assets is offensive and objectionable, but this is what has happened in this flawed system that is resistant to reform.

And it is resistant to reform because of the money. Isn’t it always about the money? That the county found out about this growing scheme is commendable. Keep up the good work.

Eventually however, DCFS is going to have to look in the mirror. Who will be commended then?

joshuaallen is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on The Audacity of Lies: Turning Abused Children into Gold

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on September 30, 2010 at 02:41 am

Nice read. this is shame to people who behave this way. Abused children need social assistance as to make them reintegrate society.

By C S Coleman on October 26, 2010 at 02:30 pm

Joshua:

Contact me ASAP. I have four kids trapped inside of this corrupt agency for almost two years. I Have filed multiple complainst wit theh LA County Auduitor, California CCLD, LAPD for the abuse of my kids by Teens Happy Home staff and foster parents, and with of course the usefess and corrputed DCFS. I have alot of first hand info on this agency's corrupt practices and financial fraud.

craig.cooleman#gte.net.

By C S Coleman on October 26, 2010 at 02:30 pm

Joshua:

craig.cooleman#gte.net.

By C S Coleman on October 26, 2010 at 02:30 pm

Joshua:

craig.cooleman#gte.net.

By C S Coleman on October 26, 2010 at 02:31 pm

Sorry about the multiple postings...

By C S Coleman on November 18, 2010 at 09:40 am

OPEN LETTER - YOU ARE THE SYSTEM

November 18, 2010

TO: LA COUNTY DCFS CSWs Federico & Dorsey. SCSW Henry. ARAs Montoya & Paahana. Executives, County Counsel Robin Leftwich, & DCFS Director Trish Ploehn

Many of you entered into social work to save children from abuse. Maybe some of you were abused and know the pain and anguish of it. But what happened to you all? What changed? Why did you change? Why have too many of you become the abusers you once reviled and despised? And those of you who still are true to your calling and do your jobs - why do you allow the corruption and lies to infect your system?

"But I was just doing my job. Just following orders. Just covering for my colleague. I've got too many cases anyway. I more interested in that other case anyway. Doing a favor for a friend. Noting personal." Where have we heard those excuses before?

I would be surprised if any of you can go home after work and truly enjoy your families and friends and get any real sleep at night knowing and not being able to tell anyone out of guilt and shame about the evil that you have done to so many children and families and to my seven children in particular.

"If I just sort of exaggerate here, make up something there - I'm done for the day! No one checks this stuff anyway, No one ever challenges my Interim Reports to the Court, the County Counsels make sure no one questions these findings. I turn it in the day of court and the parents and their appointed attorneys have no time to read it or question it (they would dare if they want to keep their jobs anyway) and the court will schedule a hearing three or six months later - by then its all forgotten. I'm covered."

How can you look in the eyes of your own children, nieces and nephews, husbands and wives and even your own parents - and even think to tell them what really goes on with your child welfare system? Too many of you are perfectly comfortable with persecuting and framing innocent parents - got to fill those quotas - gotta to get those Federal monies to fed the Beast - earn those bonuses and promotions.

Each step up you earn you knowingly sacrifice more layer of your humanity. Everyone does it to get ahead. Business is business, right? But does everyone destroy childrens and family's lives to earn their paychecks, to get promoted? This is not like selling defective products to consumers.

Too many of you - especially at the top of the DCFS pyramid - have turned children into statistics. Cold numbers. Some of them now dead cold bodies rotting in the ground. Just memories for their families. Lives lost. Yeah, sure, just like generals in a war - there are casualties, acceptable casualties you say to yourselves.

They are not your kids - so what does it matter you? Pure Social Darwinism. "I am smarter so I deserve to be alive and on top and in control." Those people were stupid. They shouldn't have had kids. They fell into our caring and loving hands. Suckers. Besides - its all 'For the Children', right? Nothing in it all for us, right? And I would bet that there even some of you think that there are just too many darn people in world. Its all about sustainability. Too many pesky people. That is the real problem. As long as I have my green space and comfortable living zone - then everything will be okay, right? Enlightened self interest.

Will you see the faces of Collette, Brittany, Wesley and Heidi in your dreams? Chris, Kyle or William? Or do just try to turn your head as you sleep hoping those faces will just go away as you try to go back to sleep?

In the still of night, will you hear their anguished cries of despair as they try to sleep, lost in a nightmare world you created for them. And you then you might remember that you have documented in your reports their having cried night after night in an abusive foster home of a diagnosed mentally ill foster mother. Will these thoughts haunt you all for the rest of you lives? Awake or asleep?

Is there no more morality and conscious left in your hearts and minds? Has it all come down to the paycheck and pension and the power to destroy childrens futures and their family’s lives forever? You cannot simply blame on the system or as 'The Beast' as so many of you aptly call it. YOU ARE THE SYSTEM.

The time will come probably sooner than later, that your system will collapse under the weight of its own hypocrisy and corruption. There will be casualties amongst you. The politicians will sacrifice some of you to save their own political hides and the news media will rail for a while on your abuses. And some of you might survive. But can you survive the public onslaught as your crimes are revealed one by one by the survivors of your system. Will you be able to survive the stare of the piercing hate in the eyes of your system's innocent victims in civil and criminal courts in the years and decades to come? Just like in all holocausts, there are survivors who will bear painful witnesses and who will seek justice.

I would not want to be you. At least I hold out hope that my children will once again know their father’s love and that I will be able to heal them and help them grow into strong, independent minded, moral adults and citizens.

What do you hope for?

Do you think my seven kids and the thousands of other kids will ever forget what you - your system - has done to them? As you are driving home from work today, think about it.

Craig S. Coleman, Ph.D.

Father of Seven Children

By diana c on December 08, 2010 at 08:12 pm

Having been a foster parent that no longer can deal with Social Workers. I knew Niki Milian and her finally getting caught all I can say is it couldn't happen to a bigger Bi--H.. It's just a shame that no one really care for the children. To say that their overworked and underpaid would be an oxymoron because you have to at least be doing your job to be overworked and they do nothing. I just hope people stay on top of what happening so these low-life's are no longer allowed to work with children.

By diana c on December 09, 2010 at 01:34 pm

I would like to say that not one person I dealt during a ordeal when a child was removed from my home because of a false allegation that Nili Milian placed against me help or cared about what was best for the child.

Helen Berberian deputy director to Mike Antonivoch LACBOS, Dawn Yokoum Administrator San Fernando Valley, SCSW Harry White Chatsworth, CSW Chevonne Winters Chatsworth, ARUCSW Stacy Hickss. Not any of the above told the truth or even cared about the truth. I interrupted or questioned Mr. White so their was something mentally wrong with me. ( i offer to do any evaluation they wanted) Ms. Winters stated I called to many people (None of which helped) so they wouldn't give her back to me. Stacy Hickss said I cried too much. (sorry you took a little girl in the middle of the night from our home who wouldn't be upset)

However I would like to give special thanks to Particia Polhen for unbiased in doing what she always does covers up for incompetent and uncaring social workers and placing children at risk.

Niki Milian falsely removed a child from my home in the middle of the night with fraudulent accusation and place her in the home of Cherly Davis whose husband is a convicted felon and not allowed to be alone with children.

Both social worker filed court papers that Ms. Davis should be allowed to adopt the little girl I had just spent 18 months raising who thought I was her mother. And because her husband can't be alone with children let them sign an affidavit stating he won't be alone with children.

I recommend anyone who gives a damn about children calls their LACBOS calling for reform from an outside agency. Call your local Department of Children and Family Services tell them your watching and listing to what their doing. Call Patricia Polhen 626-229-3737 tell her your appalled at her behavior regarding cover ups fraud and the deaths of hundreds of children.

Mike Antonovich 213-974-5555

DCFS Chatsworth 818-7174802

if we don't call to complain they think were not watching become a watchdog and save a child.