Tuesday, October 24, 2017

""Can I have some money?" "Um, no""

by taking off the mask (writer), Los Angeles, September 19, 2010

Credit: unknown
food stamps

I am sick of people asking for money, when all they did all day was sit on a bench and ask for money.

I am going to be honest, I don't understand why people are jobless. Why are you receiving food stamps, while all you do is sit on your behind all day? I seriously can't understand this. There are so many jobs out there, places with Help Wanted signs on their windows. So why are people still sitting on their couches? If you do work and you need the government to help you out, that's one thing, however if you aren't putting the effort in to make some money and finding a job, then why are we paying our tax money to help you out? It's a bit selfish don't you think, and rather pathetic?

Since I was in the 5th grade I've been working. Nothing major but still making money. I would work every Saturday from 9am- 12pm. Which meant I had to wake up around 7:45 in the morning and walk a mile to get to work. I did that so I could have some money and a certain degree of independence.

As I started getting older I worked through the summer. Even at a point I was working three jobs. I paid for my own cell phone, my own clothes, the food when I'd go out with friends and for outings. There is no reason that people above the age of 18 should be receiving money from their parents and/or the government if they are not working unless they for some reason can't work.

It shouldn't matter if you are a lawyer and lost your job, or a plumber or a teacher; until you find a new job get a different job. It is pitiful when people use not having a job as an excuse to be lazy and cheap. Obviously I am not making enough for all my bills and things but I am at least paying for my daily spendings whether it be food, clothes, toiletries, cell phone bills, etc. People on street corner, well shaved and asking for money is absurd. Why should the money that hardworking people make be given to a person who sits on a bench most of the day and stands by a traffic light?

This makes no sense. Certainly there are homeless people who are at a severe disadvantage and have a more difficult time finding a job. In those instances, certainly lend a helping hand. But, a man who is fully capable of taking orders, mowing a lawn, walking dogs, cleaning tables, why should he be given hard earned money?

If you are one of those people who uses food stamps and/or asks for money and you aren't working and you are capable then perhaps think about what kind of message you are sending and how pathetic you're making yourself look. Yes, this is harsh reality. Simply because you were a lawyer, doesn't mean during difficult economic times that you cannot get a job bagging groceries to get by. The point is very clear. Good luck finding a job, and remember someone can always use a worker, it's up to you to find them. The unemployment rate is not your economy. Make your own economy.

taking off the mask is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

11 comments on ""Can I have some money?" "Um, no""

By ranfuchs on September 19, 2010 at 04:39 pm

When I was a student, a student friend, used to come after school, change her cloths and sit at the street corner with a sign. So she collected money while doing her homework.

I did my homework after work, and often made less money.

By taking off the mask on September 19, 2010 at 05:38 pm

respect to you for doing it the right way. I don't think someone needing help is wrong, not at all! but if they aren't willing to try and help them self thats what makes me sick. what she did was wrong. All the people who supported her did a kindess for someone they thought needed their help, she didn't she was just lazy and wanted to take the easy way out.

By Jack Bates on September 20, 2010 at 03:51 pm

Seems like Dan Ehrlich's piece, Rising Poverty Level and Obama's Middle Class Fantasy, has struck a nerve! I am glad to see that it is the younger (40 and below) crowd calling for people to start working! TOTM your article echos my reply to Dan, Quit Complaining Start Working.

The sense of "entitlement" in the US right now is just rampant. I, like you, have been shoveling snow, mowing lawns, pulling weeds, etc. for extra $$ since my age was somewhere in the single digits. That sense of, "this is MY money" was key to my development.

Very passionate and timely piece. I would like to know if this is in anyway related to the articles I linked, because if not then there is a greater undercurrent of resentment in the 40 and under crowd toward the "entitled" that may be begging for more review!

By taking off the mask on September 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

@TheTAZZone - i think you misunderstood...im talking ONLY about the lazy people or people who think a job is to low for their standards so they don't work at all till they get a job they are proud of.

By taking off the mask on September 21, 2010 at 12:06 pm

@Jack Bates - thanks for your comment. No I hadn't read it. This was inspired when I was walking down the street and saw 3 nice looking men sitting down asking for money for food. When I took out my wallet my friend glared at me to put it away. when i asked her why later she said "look at them! they can get a job! you get paid shit and work your butt off and you're going to give your money to 3 lazy guys?!" she was right. I always gave but then i realized i should start thinking more into I give money too. I'm not rolling in dough, but if i see someone who really needs money then yes i'll give them what i can. But to a lazy person? that i wont do anymore

By taking off the mask on September 21, 2010 at 05:09 pm

@TheTAZZone - im afraid i'm confused. but i do agree with your last statement. but there is a difference between being lazy and being lazy and expecting others to fill in due to your laziness.

By taking off the mask on September 21, 2010 at 07:22 pm

TheTAZZone - never really thought about it that way. but those people working doesn't always mean extra work for others, if anything it can mean the oppiset. if they are mowing the law thats less work for the family. If he is working as a cashier it means less stress for the other cashiers. It can be looked at from both views. I want the people who can work to work.

By taking off the mask on September 28, 2010 at 02:17 pm

@corisong1 - when you ask for money it takes courage and guts to approach people and what about those people your asking? they're looking at you too and thinking of you as a failure not a possible worker. so i disagree with your comment. I think it's another excuse to be lazy. and yeah in life you have to take chances and you will get turned down at some point or another. but you can't fail if you never try and you can't succeed either.

By Angie Alaniz on October 01, 2010 at 02:38 am

Bottom line is that there are two types of people who are on the streets asking for money. Maybe they can get a job and maybe they can't or haven't for whatever reason. I think the most important thing to do is to have compassion on any one who is clearly in need which can easily be determine by what kind of shape they are in. Sure, they might even be some pro's out there who do this for a living, but who's to say they are faking and who are we to judge any of them, either way? Especially when we don't know them or their story?

I ask then, is it not better to give freely with out being judgmental even if they "might" happen to be lazy, then to walk right by them and have a "shame on you attitude, get a job, I am sick of all of you, attitude?

Just saying, one never really knows what their situation is.

What is worse? To be sucker into helping a lazy person or to walk right by one that just might be in real need? Is walking right by them or pretending I didn't see them because I think they are lazy and can get a job worse?

If giving them a few bucks is a problem, why not buy them a meal or two.

An act of kindness goes along way even in a wrongful situation.

Something worth thinking about.

By Theresa H Hall on October 01, 2010 at 04:55 pm

I agree with Angie.

By Angie Alaniz on October 06, 2010 at 01:06 pm

Thanks Theresa, I guess emails are now working again because I received many notifications now. :)