Thursday, November 23, 2017

Ever Wondered Why You Can't Lose Weight?

Credit: Image by Pink Sherbet Photography
He image shows a person measuring their waist line and the article is about weight loss

If you have struggled to lose weight, tried all the diets and exercise routines, you will want to take a look at this alternative method for losing excess weight.

There are some people out there that really can’t lose weight. They try all the diets, follow the grueling exercise routines and still nothing. So what is the reason for this? If a healthy diet and exercise is guaranteed to help you stay trim and fit what is wrong with these people. What are they doing wrong? Is the diet system flawed? Are we missing a vital piece of information? This is what I want to look at in this article and to do that I need to delve a little deeper.

I want to take an alternative look at this problem. If you look at the overall picture there could just be another reason why people hold onto and retain weight no matter what they try. They exercise, diet and do everything they are told to do. Many of these people will lose a couple of pounds but nothing compared to what they should be losing. Is there something wrong with these people? Are you one of them?

If you look at weight another way here is what you come up with. Weight is basically nothing more than excess fat. This fat is like a protective barrier. So from an alternative point of view, fat can be seen as protection. These people are holding onto the excess weight as a means of protection. In order for them to lose the weight they have to look deep within and discover what they are protecting themselves from.

There are some overweight women who are in fact holding onto their weight because they don’t want to be seen. There are other women out there who believe that when you are truly happy you put on weight. Have you ever bumped into someone you haven’t seen in a while only to discover that they have put on a lot of weight? Have you ever heard someone say to that person that they must be settled and happy? If you believe this subconsciously, this is what will happen.

Another scenario is where someone retains weight because they are in a relationship and don’t want anyone else to look at them. They believe that because they are no longer single that they shouldn’t look good.

There are a lot of other subconscious reasons why people hold onto weight but the main pattern of thought behind it is the fact that these people are trying to protect themselves from something. You have to confront the protection reason and break the belief system. Once you do this the weight will fall away.

If you are someone who is struggling to lose weight then why not stop and take a good look at your life and your internal emotions and see if you are protecting yourself.

Amanda J Evans is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

15 comments on Ever Wondered Why You Can't Lose Weight?

By Theresa H Hall on August 30, 2010 at 03:45 pm

Oh no! Now I have to self-analyze myself and I will do it over a bowlful of pasta. Ha. I'm just being silly.

I recognized four points that made very good sense and I shall mull them over. Good article.

By Amanda J Evans on August 30, 2010 at 03:56 pm

Thanks Theresa,

If you have tried everything to lose weight and nothing is working then looking within really is a valuable exercise.

By Jack Bates on August 30, 2010 at 04:06 pm

This sums up my decade and a half battle of the bulge. I've lost weight before, but never really addressed why I put it on in the first place. I didn't like the attention that being shape brought me. I am an extreme introvert by nature and when you look good people want you to talk to them. The easy way out was to over eat and stop moving. Sounds silly, but took me years to figure out that was what I was doing to myself. Great insight and good job making it consumable here on BrooWaha!

By Amanda J Evans on August 30, 2010 at 04:14 pm

Thanks Jack,

Delighted that you can relate to this information. People very often blame diets, etc but sometimes the real truth is that subconsciously they don't want to be thin and they are holding onto the weight as a means of protection.

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on September 01, 2010 at 10:50 am

Great read. I am very slim and sometimes my friends laugh at me and tell me why I never gain weight? But me I do not care, I love the way I am. Will I fight to gain weight?

By Angie Alaniz on September 03, 2010 at 01:22 am

Well, I finally brought myself to read this article because to be honest I was totally turned off by the picture.

Why? Because the first few lines are: If you have struggled losing weight, tried all the diets and exercise routines, and still can't lose weight, ...............

and then you see this skinny woman measuring herself who if you look closely she's not even holding the tape right.

HOWEVER, now that I have read it, I totally agree with you and something that should be addressed in my own life and I need to know what I am protecting. or Perhaps not protecting.

@THERESA, past the bowlful of pasta this is going to be hard work! : D

By Angie Alaniz on September 03, 2010 at 01:25 am

The end of that sentence is : D

*Note to self, we really need that editing button.

By Amanda J Evans on September 03, 2010 at 04:11 am

Thanks Angie and sorry the picture put you off. I guess we all have this picture perfect image that the media has helped to encourage and maybe I should have given more thought to my choice.

I am glad however that you enjoyed the article and that you found that it made sense. I think the key is to really look deep within and see why you could be holding onto the weight. If you are exercising and eating healthy then there should be no reason to be overweight, right?

There are so many people who subconsciously hold onto weight as a protection method. Women who have been seriously hurt in past relationships don't want to look good or attract attention so they hold onto weight.

By Angie Alaniz on September 03, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Oh Amanda, no need to apologize you speak words of wisdom in every written word. More then what I care to accept, but of course need too. Your last comment is so very true and makes a hell of a lot of sense.

*Note to self: Get over it, already!

By Amanda J Evans on September 06, 2010 at 03:31 am

@corisong1

I don't think there is any need to leave rude comments and they are not appreciated. If you read the article properly you would see that it is in fact aimed at people who are TRYING to lose weight and have tried all the diets and exercises. There is no discrimination intended at all, it was just another way for people to look at the reason they can't lose weight.

By taking off the mask on September 07, 2010 at 10:50 am

might sound crazy but I agree. I gained 30 pounds on purpose because (not to sound conceited) was sick of guys always hitting on me and just being interested in my body and looks instead of me. sad enough gaining weight did nothing except made me unhealthy. The problem didn't go away so it was all for nothing. guess its a blessing but a curse. still in the process of losing the last 15 pounds. great article

By taking off the mask on September 07, 2010 at 10:57 am

@corisong1 - I'm not trying to be rude but if you are proud and happy about yourself as you claim then why are you getting affended by this article? She wasn't talking to you but to people who WANT to lose weight. So instead of chopping off Amanda's head maybe take a minute and try to figure out what bothers you so much about this article, because nothing you said had to do with the article. She never said if your fat then your a lesser person or that no one will like you or sleep with you...so don't get angry over nothing. cheer up we all support and love you!

By Amanda J Evans on September 07, 2010 at 01:15 pm

@Taking off the mask

Thanks for your comments and it really is great to see other people who can relate to this scenario. Being overweight isn't always about eating too much and sometimes it really is necessary to look within and find out the real cause.

By Angie Alaniz on September 07, 2010 at 02:28 pm

Well looks like there is a very big cause there.

I'm just saying

By Lady D on September 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

Good article. I find if I love myself, just as I am. It is all good.

Words that through up resistance; diet(first three letters not positive) loose (loose is not something most people want to do.)

Just a thought.