Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Forget the planet, save the people

by Tina Dupuy (writer), Echo Park, February 13, 2007

I don’t care about global warming. There. I said it. I don’t care. I don’t want to hear anything more about it. I’m done. And no, I’m not going to quote experts that say that global warming isn’t happening or that it’s not the fault of humans. Actually, I am not going to quote any experts at all. The argument has been framed wrong. There are scientists and documentaries on one side and scientists and documentaries on the other side. Global warming and climate change has turned into the “he said, she said” issue of the new millennium. It’s like a trial with no witnesses and only expert testimony; the jury must decide the case by which side it hates less. It’s a wonder recipe for a stalemate. Forget about global warming. Since we started hearing about global warming, we have all but stopped talking about pollution. All we hear is:

It’s happening … it’s not happening.

America ducked out of the Kyoto agreement.

It’s happening … it’s not happening.

Oil execs made record profits.

It’s happening … it’s not happening.

Meanwhile, U.S. cities have suffered from the ironically named “Clear Skies Initiative,” which is like naming a double-bacon double-cheese butter burger, the new “Diet Sandwich.” Just because you call it something doesn’t make it true.

It’s happening … it’s not happening.

Smoke and mirrors … heavy on the smoke.

I think I’m going to blame the environmentalists. Yes. They’re easy to pick on, I know. In L.A., environmentalists are held in the same esteem as the homeless. “If we could just partition off a piece of downtown for the environmentalists. Then they can just annoy each other and leave us alone.” I blame them for trying to raise hysteria over global warming while driving vehicles with “Save the Planet” bumper stickers on them.

Pollution isn’t ultimately going to hurt the planet.

It’s going to hurt humans. Don’t set your goals to save the planet. Get a less lofty agenda and save us. Save our species. We’re the ones that need saving, especially after two terms of the apocalypse as an environmental policy. (Much like “I hope I die at 50” is a retirement plan.)

So let’s talk about something dirty, folks. Like our air and our water. There is no room for argument there. You can’t come to Los Angeles and tell me pollution doesn’t exist and if it does it’s not the fault of humans burning fossil fuels. You don’t have to be an expert or do extended studies. The air here is dirty. The air from L.A. that creeps to Riverside and Bakersfield is worse. It’s all pretty gross. That is a problem that affects everyone.

So believe in global warming, or don’t. The Legislature has passed a law restricting greenhouse gases, and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has agreed. That’s nice. Better would be ending the debate about global warming and beginning the dream of having a night sky in Los Angeles that isn’t that hazy pale purple color.

That’s my suggestion. My environmental campaign in Los Angeles would be called The See-More-Than-Two-Stars-A-Night Initiative. Let’s get some sunsets that are less psychedelic. Let’s lower asthma rates. How about an end to those days where you clean your windshield only to find out that that’s the actual color of the sky?

I have a suggestion for a new bumper sticker for the campaign: “Save the Angelenos.”

Tina Dupuy is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Forget the planet, save the people

By E Jo on February 13, 2007 at 02:17 am
I'm glad you chose to put this in the 'Opinion' section. Global Warming is considered scientific fact at this point. We're long past the "is it happening, is it not" phase... Why do you think ExxonMobil is shelling out $10,000 to any scientist that would dispute the IPCC report? Because it DOES exist but they'd like to sweep it under the rug and make it go away so they can continue to make their billions. When have we "Stopped talking about pollution.."??? Vehicle emissions is what causes the polluted dirty air in LA! The same vehicle emissions that contribute to global warming. How do you think the air gets "dirty" anyway? I find it strange to be concerned about one but not the other. You're right about the Clear Skies Initiative being an inappropriately named injustice that exempts power plants from being held accountable to the Clean Air Act (good one Bush, name it something pretty and we won't notice). Your claim that "Pollution isn't ultimately going to hurt the planet," I'd like to see the scientific evidence to back that opinion up! Yeah, it's going to hurt humans by destroying the planet! Where do you think us humans are going to be besides knee deep in catastrophic climate events? Reducing pollution and global warming is saving our species. Saving the planet is saving humans. Americans make up 4% of the world's population but create 25% of the CO2 pollution and pathetically Americans are also the least concerned. We do most the damage but turn the other way on the world when it comes to ratifying a proposal that would begin to solve what Americans (and yes humans) have created. Apathetic Americans will never cease to amaze me.

By Tina Dupuy on February 13, 2007 at 03:05 am
Hey E Jo - did you write that diatribe before or after you read my piece?

By E Jo on February 13, 2007 at 03:36 am
after...

By E Jo on February 13, 2007 at 03:38 am
El G get back to writing your thesis, it's a school night! :)

By BlottDada on February 13, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Thanks Tina, appreciate the sardonic rephrasing of the argument. It seems E Jo is a great representative for much of the commenting on this issue, heavy on the cut-&-paste factoids from the AP but really light on the sense of humor. The planet, Mother Earth, everyone’s favorite blue ball will probably belch us up and out of existence long before we can truly ruin it. Legislating carbon emissions with the goal of preserving human beings doesn't seem shortsighted. Anyone? Those of us who are reading about the issue and taking time out to comment on it are familiar with both sides and recognize the self-serving skew of the facts. Passing that information on to the young apathetic masses is most important, and what better vehicle than comedy. Tina, having read some of your other works, I thank you for sifting through the drone of facts and poking coherent fun.

By E Jo on February 13, 2007 at 05:28 pm
Simmer down people, it's just a "comment"! No Blottdata I did not cut and paste this information into a comment that I wrote in response to reading the article. This is the stuff that I know and obviously feel very passionate about. Yes, Bill I probably do need an ocean swim and I will get to that when they open up the polluted beaches again :) and El G, it's time to wake up from your nap.

By brookekb on February 13, 2007 at 10:07 pm
Tina, Your article, in the opinon section, is just that... your opinion, to which you are entitled. It seems that you, as well as others on this forum for differing viewpoints seem to resort to personal attacks on others when they disagree with your views. I am only a reader, not a writer here, drawn to what I thought was going to be a high level of intellectual exchange. E Jo offered up facts that countered your argument. The petty responses from authors such as yourself that followed are bringing down the crediblity of this site. You asked E Jo if she had even read the article before she wrote her "diatribe". Your rude comment is not only not conducive to fostering open debate in this forum, it is misinformed. Diatribe (noun): "a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation or a thunderous verbal attack." Take a look again. It is a paragraph of factual information on the topic about which you wrote. You are a comedian but your article is not even marginally amusing. You inform the reader of nothing. You offer vague solutions. Whether written in seriousness or in jest it fails to either entertain or enlighten. There is your "diatribe" for you!

By brookekb on February 14, 2007 at 01:33 am
How nice it would be if this were actually a "lightning rod" of an article, that was able to stir up intelligent debate. Unfortunately, most of the commentary is not about this uninteresting article, but rather attacks on other commentators. "Lightning rod....hardly."

By Tina Dupuy on February 14, 2007 at 01:48 am
When there is lighting...there are flamers...

By Annonymous on February 25, 2007 at 04:11 am
You seem to be all over the map with this one, without a cohesive point of view that makes sense. How on earth are you coming to your conclusions? You talk about the irony of the clear skies initiative and seeing more than two stars at night and then you blame environmentalists??? It doesn't make sense. Your 'viewpoint' is rather schizophrenic. Global warming is now a fact, and the fact that it's a fact is old news. Unless we're talking about a few nuts who are regressive, and or, who work for big oil and gas. The question now becomes how do we galvanize all of our technological prowess to deal with this mammoth problem? To continue to pollute in the reckless way we have would be deeply unethical and self-destructive.