Monday, October 16, 2017

You Made Me Feel So Nice

by Theresa H Hall (writer), East Coast USA, August 21, 2010

love , joy , smile
Credit: flydime 2007
Woman Monk reflects the power of joy

I live a simple, meaningful, yet busy life. The way I conduct myself toward others, is something that I do my best to stay aware and on top of. I have been a participator in and a witness to the results of cause and effect. While I do remember (mostly), the instances when I acted impulsively or unwittingly, in a negative way toward someone or some thing, I have repented inwardly, with the hopes I will not lash out or say something unkind again. For the most part, I conduct myself with honor, gentleness, civilly and compassion. This is what I want to touch upon. Civility and compassion, or kindness.

Many people today confuse kindness with weakness. In today's world it is considered "the norm" or "hip", to say the ugliest, most cynical or vulgar things possible. This is in keeping with the objective to draw attention, earn imaginary insult miles, make the biggest impression, have the hugest impact in public, and to prove (although I don't see the point), that someone personifies the "I'm bad" or "don't mess with me attitude". However I feel it goes deeper. Could it be that these mannerisms some adopt are the gear a lot of individuals or groups wear as a protective garment? Could it be they seem mean or intolerant so they themselves will be perceived as being strong? What is it? Are they really so insecure? Did someone do the same thing to them?

"You need to realize that you do hold the power to affect someone's day ... be it positively or adversely."

Go ahead and try it out on someone. Be ugly, rude, harsh, impolite or disrespect them. Watch their face and body language. You'll elicit one of five responses:

Hurt

Fear

Indifference

Anger

Pity

** I really don't want you to do this! **

Now try smiling and greeting someone with light in your eyes, a grin on your face, a spring in your step and joy in your heart. You'll elicit one of five responses:

Incredulity

Reciprocation

Rejection

Indifference

Suspicion

** I really do want you to do this! **

People have learned through the first example, to react in a manner that belies how they really want to act. By us using the second example, we can help heal these individuals, so maybe the next time they will return the smile and say hello. What an easy way to touch another without physical contact. That's powerful.

We can do something to improve someone's day. Just think, yours might be the friendliest voice or smile they hear or see all day long. We as a society have removed ourselves from the congenial role of love, and replaced it with bored cynicism, hate and intolerance. The way we treat others reflects how we feel about ourselves. It is something we can change right now. Decide to find the same joy as the woman in the photograph. See how much of your power you can share with the world and choose to make it a better place.

Theresa H Hall is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

17 comments on You Made Me Feel So Nice

By Theresa H Hall on August 21, 2010 at 12:47 am

The typeset is smaller at the bottom portion of my article and the obvious spaces are not inserted.

FYI

By TonyBerkman on August 21, 2010 at 12:49 am

I fixed it. Let me know if it's better, please.

By Libdrone on August 21, 2010 at 03:06 am

mmm. In call centers new agents are always taught to smile when they're on the phone. people can Really hear it when you smile. (and when you Don't)

By Frank - icare2be on August 21, 2010 at 10:52 am

When I walked on the streets of Manhattan I found that you have spoken true words. It is very sadly I confirm your article. My heart aches at the memory.

I lived on 39th and Lexington and went to school on 46th and 6th Ave. I would get up early in the morning and walk to school, stopping at Holy Family Church for morning mass before continuing to school. I would return in the afternoon about 5pm and get a take out dinner from a nearby deli. The part that confirms your story is walking the sidewalk and looking at people eye to eye and see their reactions. A smile is met with suspicion or rejection of immediately looking away. A frown or scowl was met with indifference and ignoring any eye contact. To utter a word like, "Good Morning." would illicit anger and avoidance, a step away from proximity to me. After 10 weeks it was always the same response.

You are right times change and not always for the better. Yet, I will continue to try to improve my little environment. If in my live, I just improve my life it will be worth it. To make someone else's life better would be a huge bonus.

Thank you for bringing back the memories.

By Theresa H Hall on August 21, 2010 at 01:11 pm

Sometimes when I write it's as if a stream of words pour forth and many times there is a message. it comes through me but is not from me. We need to find that connection to source. Connect and let inspiration flow.

"You never realize how profoundly your words might touch another."

Theresa H Hall

Such wonderful responses my friends! Wonderful day.

By the expat returned on August 22, 2010 at 02:40 pm

Very true, thanks for touching on this. I hope that cynicism goes out of fashion soon. Until then I'll keep being that annoying chipper guy at the coffee shop. I guess I like the challenge of trying to make cranky people laugh. Should I become a stand-up comic?

By Barkha Dhar on August 22, 2010 at 09:00 pm

Melody, that's a beautiful piece. I appreciate the way you compared compassion and kindness to weakness, which actually isn't true. I agree though most people feel that way. Your article is a simple, practical and a very suggestive gesture and thought to begin our day. All of us should accomplish that.

Thanks for sharing

Barkha Dhar

By Barkha Dhar on August 22, 2010 at 09:01 pm

Thanks for sharing

Barkha Dhar

By Barkha Dhar on August 22, 2010 at 09:01 pm

Thanks for sharing

Barkha Dhar

By Rich Becker on August 23, 2010 at 09:16 am

Love the piece, Theresa.

I keep reminding someone close to me that they represent part of the experiences they create, even if it doesn't always feel that way. A little bit of understanding and kindness goes a long way.

All my best,

Rich

By Theresa H Hall on August 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Melody, Practice makes the Master and in your example it was a reward you'll treasure forever. You blessed her most certainly.

expat, You keep on being chipper because even when they do not acknowledge they hear and inside it made them unbend just a little. Keep chipper'ing away.

Barkha Dhar, I agree melody's story was so sweet!

Rich, We love you and your work, too!

Cher, You made me feel so nice.

You all made me feel so nice. Thank you.

By Arcticulates on August 25, 2010 at 01:05 am

My littlest granddaughter constantly walks around saying "If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours." Then she does a big grin. I think it was on a children's TV show and she has seemed to grab a hold of the concept.

You are right on about how we can have an effect on someone's attitude. Body language says so much more then words or deeds.. Good article! Thank-you.

By Theresa H Hall on August 25, 2010 at 01:37 am

So nice of you to drop in on us from the great State of Alaska. Children can say such big little sentences. they now how to get straight to the point and break down barriers. Glad you have her to guide you and your smiles. :)

By Theresa H Hall on August 25, 2010 at 01:38 am

Edit: They know, not ... they now.

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on August 25, 2010 at 06:27 am

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on August 25, 2010 at 06:28 am

Interesting reading, you know. Smile, smile; we must smile to anyone to express our joy. Since any person bears the image of God, it is good to smile to them. We live in a country which is not ours. Jemima, our daughter likes to smile every time. Once she met another child like her who could not smile at her. She tried everything she could to get her smile, but in vain. She turned to us and asked, why does she not smile, she is not smart.' Smiles makes us look friendly and it means a lot. Very nice article, Theresa.

By Theresa H Hall on August 25, 2010 at 03:59 pm

Mugusho, Thank you for the story about your little daughter, Jemima (beautiful name), and how she worked so hard to get a smile from the other child. Smiling breaks down many barriers. A smile is an invitation.