Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Bon Voyage Gourmet Magazine

by Theresa H Hall (writer), East Coast USA, November 04, 2009

Saying goodbye to a famous food magazine that has been around for decades.

The other day I opened my mailbox and pulled out the contents, noticing there were a few magazines along with fliers and a utility bill.  Since I was in a hurry to get somewhere, I dropped these items on the dining table and went about doing whatever needed to be done.

Sometimes I do not read my mail for a few days and when I picked up the magazine that had been packaged with sealed plastic wrapping, I felt myself exhale a long and whimsical sigh.  I held in my hands the November 2009 issue of Gourmet Magazine.  It wasn’t just a magazine but one I have been reading and thumbing through for many years. It was their very last issue.

I know the news of Conde Nast Publications closing the doors of Gourmet Magazine surprised us readers, but can you imagine what a shock it was to the people who worked on the team that compiled their monthly publications, month in and month out; year after year? Since it is the final issue, I shall keep it in its original wrapper. I can visit the bookstore to get another copy to read.

I received a notice that they will be sending me and any other subscribers the monthly issues of Bon Appetit.  It’s a good food magazine, but it isn’t Gourmet. For sixty-eight years they produced fine recipes, photographs and outstanding articles and always presented a graceful approach to living a good life.  I am as so many others are, saddened that our faltering economy was responsible for bringing this gentle giant to her knees. I wish all of the Gourmet employees a delicious and prosperous future. Bon Voyage, Gourmet Magazine.

Theresa H Hall is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

11 comments on Bon Voyage Gourmet Magazine

By Digidave on November 04, 2009 at 02:02 am

It's pretty crazy where magazines are these days. Time magazine is going through tough times as well. And I believe BusinessWeek got sold recently.

Also owned by Conde Nast is Wired: I used to work at Wired News (the website for the magazine). It's sorta like the Gourmet of Geekdom. They had some layoffs about a week or two ago.

Total bummer.

By TonyBerkman on November 04, 2009 at 05:25 am

I love wired though somewhat ironic that an offline magazine for geeks exists.  Most of the guys in my office don't read any news or information articles  unless they are free  or online. They consider buying books and magzines to be a waste of money.

By JJFCPA on November 04, 2009 at 07:50 am

Good article. Keep up the writing.

By Theresa H Hall on November 04, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Gentlemen: Thank you for your comments. One always appreciates being noticed especially when they are the new kid on the block. Self expression is what it's all about and what better way than here, at BrooWaha!

I shall immediately go and see this Wired website. Downsizing hurts more people than just the employees. It has a tickle-down effect.

Tony, I love on-line information, but there is nothing like holding compiled, publicized reading material in ones hands, turning the pages and touching the paper upon which it was printed. Tell them to invest in this sensory thrill.

By Theresa H Hall on November 04, 2009 at 01:27 pm

Good humor! Not a tickle-down effect It's a trickle-down effect.

And ... one's not noes

I have a family member who edits everything. So if you are ever in need of exquisite editor and proofreader, let me know and I will point you in her direction.

By Theresa H Hall on November 04, 2009 at 01:29 pm

You can easily see I am a real human and not a computer. As soon as an edit button gets installed, I shall be happy to go back and correct my errors. In the meantime, overlook them please.

By Digidave on November 05, 2009 at 12:14 pm

@THeresa

You are right re: Expressing oneself.

On a related note to Gourmet: Sure enough I got in contact with an old college friend for a trip I'm planning to NY and it turned out that she was working at Gourmet and now obviously isn't.

When I go out there I'll let her know there are folks like you that really loved what she was doing.

By Theresa H Hall on November 05, 2009 at 06:26 pm

Perhaps you can email her the link to this post and she can, in turn, pass it along to the former employees, while conveying my deepest gratitude for a most excellent magazine.

New York is such a vibrant place and one that I love. Enjoy your trip and travel safely.

By Micaela on November 05, 2009 at 10:38 pm

THat is such a sad news..I like reading food magazines too but haven't tried reading gourmet..but i feel for you..

By Theresa H Hall on November 06, 2009 at 03:13 am

You should at least grab their last issue because the essence of her writers and great style is within the pages.

By Theresa H Hall on December 23, 2009 at 02:03 pm

Note * I received the replacement Bon Appetit magazine and there is a page advertising not one but two Gourmet cookbooks. Just a heads-up for all you food lovers. Happy Holidays!