Saturday, November 18, 2017

Lee Dominates, Phils Confidently Take Game 1

Cliff Lee pitched dominantly and the Phillies offense backs him up with 6 runs as the Phillies win Game 1 of the World Series 6-1.

After going 25 years without a winning a championship, Philadelphia sports fans finally learned what it felt like to win last year when the Phillies won the 2008 World Series. As Brad Lidge struck out the final batter to clinch the series, all of the doubt and anxiety that was engrained in the collective psyche of Philly fans disappeared. And, what years of tears--and in some cases therapy--could not rid us of was suddenly washed away and replaced by an unfamiliar and exhilarating confidence.

This confidence seems to be shared by the Phillies who have been unstoppable so far in the 2009 postseason. And, if anyone thought that was going to change as they took the field against the Yankees tonight, they were sorely mistaken.

A calm Cliff Lee pitched a complete game shutting down the Yankees offense by striking out 10 and allowing no earned runs. His dominating pitching performance was complemented by solid defense. He effortlessly caught a pop fly to retire Johnny Damon and later threw out Robinson Cano after a beautiful behind the back catch. The Yankees only run of the game came in the 9th inning on an error by Jimmy Rollins.

On the offensive side, Chase Utley started the scoring with two solo home runs off CC Sabathia in the third and sixth innings. Both homers came with 2 strikes. Late in the game, the Phils padded the score as walks issued by the Yankees bullpen set up 4 RBIs by Ibanez, Victorino and Howard.

The Phillies won Game 1 of the World Series by a final score of 6-1.

Game 2 will see Pedro Martinez start for the Phillies against the Yankees' A.J. Burnett. Game 2 will be played in New York at 7:57pm EST, and will be broadcast on FOX.

jaybetee is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

11 comments on Lee Dominates, Phils Confidently Take Game 1

By TonyBerkman on October 29, 2009 at 01:15 am

I used to live in Atlanta and hated the Phillies though it's difficult to not admire the way they play.   In the post season they have shown poise, confidence and "in flow" up to the last pitch.    What better team to win a world series off than the Yanks?

What would the World Series be without politicians getting involved in the action. If the Yankees win, Senators Schumer and Gillibrand will get  a supply of cheesesteaks. If the Phillies win,  Senators Specter and Casey get cheescakes.

I'm betting that cheesecakes will be crossing state lines.   Wonder if that's a legal bet, since it is an interstate wager?  Anyone know if they made the bet via email?

By Theresa H Hall on October 29, 2009 at 01:36 am

Easy to understand sports article.

By ParentCoach on October 29, 2009 at 02:19 am

Well written.  I'm happy that the Phillies won game one in New York.  It could makes for a much more exciting series.   Either way, I want the Phillies to win the entire thing. 2 years in a row and the second year they beat the "best" team ever.   I saw photos of Philly fans at Yankee Stadium.  I am not sure NY fans will be as welcome in Philadelphia.

By jaybetee on October 29, 2009 at 10:36 am

Tony, I have a support groups for recovering Braves fans if you're interested. We can set up personal grief counseling too if necessary.

Theresa, thanks for the comment. I am glad it was easy to understand.

ParentCoach, it would be so thrilling to take the series 2 years in a row! Although we all hear the horror stories about how Philly fans treat visiting fans, I think Yankees fans will be fine. Well, as long as they sit quietly, don't cheer for their team and don't wear any Yankees attire....then they will be just fine!

By TonyBerkman on October 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

the Braves used to kill the Phillies during the '90s when I followed them.   Since moving from Atlanta I haven't followed the Braves much and may be in the process of becoming a Phillies fan.  Yankees fans seem somewhat arrogant.  I guess that may be a NYer trait. Although most of my family lives there so there are exceptions.

By jaybetee on October 29, 2009 at 11:00 am

I met your family...I don't know if they're the exceptions! ;)

By TonyBerkman on October 29, 2009 at 12:00 pm

And my mom thought so highly of you, as did my sister.  Wonder what that says about you?

By jaybetee on October 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I was just kidding. Your family was awesome and I had a great time meeting them and hanging out. Hopefully we can all do it again some time.

By TonyBerkman on October 29, 2009 at 04:56 pm

Definitely!  Perhaps in New York next time?

By jaybetee on October 30, 2009 at 02:40 pm

New York sounds good! Maybe for a Mets/Phils game!

By TonyBerkman on October 30, 2009 at 09:26 pm

World Series Yankees / Phils game and you wear all your Philly garb.