Friday, November 24, 2017

Welcome To The New BrooWaha

by Ariel (editor), Venice, CA, November 09, 2009

Credit: BrooWaha
A BrooWaha Logo

BrooWaha partners with BlogCatalog to take the site to the next level.

When I wrote the first line of code of BrooWaha about 3 years ago, I never expected this project to become what it is today. As a graduate student at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, I was merely looking for a side project to apply what I had learned in school for the past 6 years and design my first website from scratch.

About a year after the launch, it became evident that the project had become more than a nerd's toy and needed more attention than I could give it in order to grow. David Cohn joined me in the adventure at this time and brought with him his experience in journalism and new media.

With now several thousand registered authors and close to ten thousand published articles, it is again time for BrooWaha to evolve and grow from a side project to a full blown website with developers on payroll. It is for this reason that David and I decided to partner with Blogcatalog.com to give BrooWaha and its community the love it deserves.

Blogcatalog.com, whose team includes Tony Berkman and John Forch, boasts a large community of bloggers and 20+ million monthly visitors. These impressive figures combined with its executive team's excitement for the citizen journalism movement made this partnership an excellent fit. We will be publishing interviews of John and Tony in the coming days.

But concretely, what can you expect in the future for BrooWaha?

• A brand new look and more intuitive interface
  • A full time team of developers working to constantly improve BrooWaha and implement your feature requests
  • Professional journalists will participate in the editorial tasks of the website
  • The support of the blogcatalog executive team to take BrooWaha to the next step
  • Exposure to the millions of users of blogcatalog.com

I know this transition has been a little confusing for some of you, but please bear with us while we fix all the remaining bugs. Also, please feel free to submit any bugs and feature requests at http://forum.broowaha.com. Ross, our new lead developer, will make sure these requests are addressed in a timely manner.

Thanks for your continued support and contribution to the citizen journalism movement.

Please feel free to use the comment section of this article to send us any questions you may have.

Ariel is an editor for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Welcome To The New BrooWaha

By Josh Marks on November 10, 2009 at 01:31 am

Congratulations Ariel on your continued success with the Broo! The website has come along way in the past three years. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to advancing citizen journalism around the world.

By JJFCPA on November 10, 2009 at 07:19 am

We are delighted to work with Ariel, David and the Broo community to continue to grow the site and to elevate it to a prominent and highly visited one where journalists and creative writers provide informative and entertaining content. The foundation of BrooWaha is the Community who provide the news, opinions and creative peices and who engage each other through the various forums. Our goal is to support the Community with new resources and to make enhancements based upon your input. As Jim Collins wrote "Good to Great" to illustrate how companies excel, our mission is to work with and listen to the Community to make BrooWaha a great site for writers and readers.

By Lady D on November 10, 2009 at 08:09 am

Thank you for allowing your project to continue. I am proud to be a part of an ongoing revolution in the world of journalism.

Your encouragement and support of the writers has been great. Hopefully the new team will have the same compassion.

By Theresa H Hall on November 10, 2009 at 04:37 pm

Delighted to make your acquaintance and am especially pleased in expressing myself here at BrooWaha. It is great to find another comfortable place to read a variety of writers.

This is an appropriate platform where just about anyone wanting to share a bit of themselves with the world, can speak their mind and know that the audience here is more likely to appreciate their work, really listen and even take them seriously.

You couldn't have chosen a finer partnership. Congratulations!

By D. E. Carson on November 16, 2009 at 09:02 pm

Ariel:

I've been away for a while so imagine my surprise when I saw the New Broo.  It looks great.  I'm still getting used to it, but it's a welcome change.  Congratulations.

DEC

By TonyBerkman on November 17, 2009 at 03:40 pm

I think the real great thing is the opportunity to continue to work with Ariel and David and add the development resources from BlogCatalo to enable the community of writers to share in creating a new platform for citizen journalists to practice their craft,  report stories,  be discovered and in a way define what it means to be a citizen journalist.

By Kaycee on November 22, 2009 at 08:06 pm

I wuv Broowaha!

By MUGISHO N.THEOPHILE on August 19, 2010 at 08:58 am

I cannot believe my eyes as I haven't been here for almost a week. At once Ariel and David have done a great job here. Thanks to the BrooWaha community as well because they encouraged this development. If they criticized it negatively, it would not have been this way. Congats to them and everyone who designed this new look although we are getting lost sometime as there have been some little changes. But with time we will get out the trouble. This new step ahead was indeed needed as to promote the journalism of the grassroots and so they can learn something additional. Great job. Long live BrooWaha.

By taking off the mask on August 20, 2010 at 07:18 pm

love this site. thanks for making it. and congrats

By Credo on October 10, 2013 at 05:22 pm

Web site continues to prosper, and the possibilities are limitless.

:)Credo