Sunday, October 22, 2017

Reno AAA: Where Our Members Don't Come First

Credit: aaa
aaa

AAA touts “Where Our Members Come First.” No, it’s Where AAA Comes First at the expense of its members and our community.

Recently I went to renew my 37-year membership with AAA. I had not received a renewal notice. I went to the Reno AT&T phone book but was unable to find any listing for AAA. I called the 800 number on my AAA membership card, 800-222-4357. I got a Don, not allowed to give last name or employee number. Don told me that there are two AAA locations in Reno, both in South Reno. 6795 S. Virginia and the other on Damonte Ranch Road. Both very way south. Not at all centrally located. AAA, where all members outside of South Reno don’t come at all at AAA.

AAA has only one location in Sparks and that is out, far out, on the Pyramid Highway next to the Home Depot. Like the Reno AAA locations, not at all centrally located. So much again for AAA’s hypocritical “Where Our Members Come First.” There I was referred to a Jari Sotten, 326-2003 about why AAA has no central Reno or Sparks location and their only Sparks location is very way out and the only two Reno locations are both very way south. Jari Sotten is very confident of herself, and the uprightness of her opinions and views. Jari Sotten cockily told me it was a business decision to have two AAA locations in South Reno with no other AAA locations in Reno and no centrally located AAA Reno location.

The previous AAA Reno central location on Moana Lane, according to Jari Sotten, was “not a good location, it was too dangerous for the employees. Employee cars were broken into and it was scary to walk to their cars.” Jari Sotten was self-satisfied to tell me to just call the 800 number, where according to Jari Sotten I can talk with someone in Glendale, Arizona. So much for AAA supporting the Reno-Sparks community. I believe in acting locally and supporting local. AAA doesn’t.

Reno has a pleasing downtown where the City of Reno has its offices. Since Reno City Manager Charles McNeeley is finally leaving, hopefully our new Reno City Manager and his/her family will actually live in Reno. Washoe County’s offices are also centrally located. Reno City Council, Reno city employees, the Washoe County commissioners, and Washoe County employees are supposed to act and support local. Not AAA. AAA’s Jari Sotten says “AAA’s decision to use retail storefronts was based on business choices.” Yet, the locations AAA has currently chosen are the most expensive in the area according to local commercial Realtors. Moreover, these current AAA locations serve only a very small percentage of the population aka AAA members.

I’ve noticed that Greater Nevada Credit Union has done the same thing with their locations. AAA and Greater Nevada Credit Union remind me of pompous Washoe County Republican Commissioner Bonnie Weber. Republican Commissioner Bonnie Weber contemptuously threw a Washoe County citizen out of a public meeting. That's what Republicans think of free speech. Then Republican Commissioner Bonnie Weber disrespectfully tried to get a restraining order against that citizen to keep them out of public meetings. Greater Nevada Credit Union County Commissioner Bonnie Weber, and AAA are bigots, anti-community and anti-local.

Jari Sotten refused to give me her manager’s name and number pontificating and braying “It is against AAA policy.” Jari Sotten has zero customer service skills, not surprising for a company that has no complaint or customer service department.

AAA has their only Sparks’ location very way out the Pyramid Highway rather than centrally located for the same reasons according to Jari Sotten, “just too dangerous for the employees.” So much again for AAA’s hypocritical “Where Our Members Come First.” I asked Don for a name and number of a complaint/customer service department to complain that AAA has only two locations in Reno and both are in far South Reno, and that AAA’s only Spark’s location is way out the Pyramid Highway.

Don told me there is no complaint or customer service department at AAA. I asked for his supervisor and Don told me he doesn’t know who his supervisor is. I asked for a manager’s name and number and Don told me it is AAA policy not to give out AAA’s manager’s names and telephone numbers. Don offered to leave a message but said I “may or may not get it returned.”

I bet the businesses along Moana Lane aren’t too happy to hear that AAA thinks Moana Lane is “not a good location, too dangerous.”

I remember when I moved here from California, I brought with me my California AAA home and auto polices. Later those were cancelled by CSAA and AAA offered Nevada AAA policies at much higher rates. So ended my 24-year AAA home and auto coverage. I won’t be renewing my 37-year AAA membership due to lack of AAA customer service. Jari Sotten, here’s a NEWSFLASH: AAA membership is down due to AAA’s sucky customer service. Here’s another NEWSFLASH: the AAA employees at the former Robb Drive location were rude and/or incompetent, a AAA pattern.

Marga is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

9 comments on Reno AAA: Where Our Members Don't Come First

By Edward on July 11, 2009 at 05:39 pm

AAA has their only Sparks’ location very way out the Pyramid Highway rather than centrally located -

I don't get why AAA has their only Sparks office way out on the other end of Sparks.

By Carmen on July 22, 2009 at 07:41 pm

Not at all centrally located.

The locations where AAA is now located here just do not make sense.  AAA here used to be centrally located.

Typical AAA management rudeness and anti-community behavior.

By Greene on July 27, 2009 at 05:47 pm

AAA also does not seem to be registered nor business or sales and use tax licensed anywhere in Nevada https://esos.state.nv.us/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/CorpSearch/CorpSearch.aspx.

AAA is not locally-based which is why AAA has zero interest in our charming Biggest Little City.

Here are some Nevada rules for corporations (for those that bother to legally register):

1. In addition to any records required to be kept at the registered office pursuant to NRS 78.105, a corporation that is not a publicly traded corporation shall maintain at its registered office or principal place of business in this State:

a. A current list of its owners of record; or

b. A statement indicating where such a list is maintained.

2. The corporation shall:

a. Provide the Secretary of State with the name and contact information of the custodian of the list described in subsection 1. The information required pursuant to this paragraph shall be kept confidential by the Secretary of State.

b. Provide written notice to the Secretary of State within 10 days after any change in the information contained in the list described in subsection 1.

3. Upon the request of any law enforcement agency in the course of a criminal investigation, the Secretary of State may require a corporation to:

a. Submit to the Secretary of State, within 3 business days, a copy of the list required to be maintained pursuant to subsection 1; or

b. Answer any interrogatory submitted by the Secretary of State that will assist in the criminal investigation.

4. If a corporation fails to comply with any requirement pursuant to subsection 3, the Secretary of State may take any action necessary, including, without limitation, the suspension or revocation of the corporate charter

5. The Secretary of State shall not reinstate or revive a charter that was revoked or suspended pursuant to subsection 4 unless:

a. The corporation complies with the requirements of subsection 3; or

b. The law enforcement agency conducting the investigation advises the Secretary of State to reinstate or revive the corporate charter.

6. The Secretary of State may adopt regulations to administer the provisions of this section.

It is important to note that Nevada is not asking for the owners of the entity up front. The requirement is that the registered agent either keeps a list of the owners or the name of a contact person who has a list of the owners. The Secretary of State will request the ownership list only

By Greene on July 27, 2009 at 05:47 pm

when a law enforcement agency needs it for a criminal investigation. Not for a civil case mind you, but only for a criminal case.

What this means is that if your business and asset protection plans are on the up and up, your privacy will be protected. Or, to put it another way, if you are engaged in fraud and other crimes, our firm will be happy to comply with these new rules. You may even want to take your bad business somewhere else to begin with. But for the good guys, you will still maintain your privacy.

By Lucy Ong on July 28, 2009 at 05:23 pm

By putting their offices in the outskirts rather than centrally located, AAA is also not being Green as they’re contributing to global warming and environment degradation.

By Marga on July 29, 2009 at 08:03 pm

When I first submitted this I was so worried this dog wasn't going to hunt.  Glad to see I was needlessly worrying about that.  Thank you all for your supportive comments.

By Edward on August 28, 2009 at 03:16 pm

Paula F. Downey is the President of AAA.

Contact AAA

or opinion@viamagazine.com

By Marga on February 11, 2010 at 02:54 pm

I’m thinking about next blogging the Washoe County Senior Law Project. Although I’m elderly their staff has spoken with me as if I’m a deaf three-year-old. They are very short-tempered. Rigidity, rigidity, rigidity everywhere. Heart nowhere. Experience lacking. Manners none. The Washoe County Senior Law Center is there to provide services. If I could do it myself, I would not need the Washoe County Senior Law Project to provide their services, now would I? Yet, instead of providing, even expertly, kindly and professionally, those services, the Washoe County Senior Law Project’s naive, coarse, ill-mannered, and inexperienced staff is more obstructionists than helpers. I find all that not at all helpful to me or the Washoe County Senior Law Project and that it fails to meet their own Mission Statement. That’s my opinion from how I’ve been (mis)treated by them.

By Marga on June 04, 2010 at 04:42 pm

Oh dear, what happened here to my story with this "AAA touts “Where Our Members Come First.” No, it’s"