Tuesday, October 17, 2017

How Sarah Palin Lost The Election For Republicans

by C.rus (writer), , November 05, 2008

Opinion: Chris Russell

"I told the Congress, 'Thanks, but no thanks,' on that Bridge to Nowhere." –Sarah Palin, who was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it

Sarah Palin is viewed by some as the most polarizing figure in American Politics (not including our current, most wonderful President). Obviously, the pick of Palin was to solidify the Ultra-Conservative Base (less than 10%) of the Republican Party; thinking that McCain's record of "cross the aisle" politics and Senator Lieberman's insane adoration of the Arizona Senator. However, after two weeks, it all began to fade, even before being mauled by Couric.

It can be argued that not voting for McCain because of Palin, or vice-versa, is not a good way to vote; but in the off-chance that McCain did have to step down: A Palin administration was viewed to be just to risky.

So, four years down the road, conservatives might want to think of Palin as their superstar, but I suggest: Send her back to Alaska.

C.rus is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on How Sarah Palin Lost The Election For Republicans

By Edward on November 05, 2008 at 07:48 pm

A great article.  Of course, there's one in every crowd and here it's El G who I  recommend to read Maybe Your Definition Of Constructive Differs From Mine.

By AmyO on November 05, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I know quite a few conservatives that decided not to vote for McCain because of his pick of Sarah Palin. A good friend of mine who is very conservative couldn't believe what a stupid choice she was and said McCain sealed the deal against himself by choosing her. Unfortunately, I don't think we have seen the last of her...

By CCNY on November 06, 2008 at 12:46 am

El G, we are in good company.  Apparently, Edward has copied the very same "one in every crowd" comment into another thread but this time it was about yours truly, CCNY, begging the question for the ages:  WHO is the real "one in every crowd."  I smell a steel cage match between us to settle it all, so you're in for a barrel full of hurt, El G.

Set that shit up, Edward, and remember these 3 words: Pay. Per. View.  In the meantime, (1) try hard to come up with a different comment (instead of lazily cutting and pasting the same one) to throw us under the bus with, and (2) refer any and all future "ones in every crowd" to a different article that's better written.  Thanks, Edward.

By D. E. Carson on November 08, 2008 at 06:47 pm

First off, I don't believe that Sarah Palin was the deal killer for McCain.  McCain was behind the 8-ball going in against a black opponent.  The moment Obama became the Democrats' choice, Jesus Christ himself wouldn't have stood a chance.  The sole reason Obama won is because he is black.  He has no credentials whatsoever that qualify him to be president.

Second, Edward, we've all read your treatise on constructive and frankly, the piece wreaked of petty, kindergarten whining.  As President Harry S Truman (and there is NO PERIOD after the "S" because "S" was Truman's middle name.  It didn't stand for anything) once said, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."  The time has come for people to grow some fricking skin.  The article was a whiny rewriting of the old Rodney King cry, "What can't we all just get along?"  The reason people are so passionate about their politics is because of the politically correct crowd going around trying to be the "Thought Police" telling everyone how and what to think and not letting them think for themselves.  If I want to proclaim from the rooftops that the only reason Obama is president-elect is because he is black, and I have the ability to back it up, then that is my right and no one, even you, Edward, have the right to try and tell me otherwise.

Now, are there times when people get a little too carried away? Probably.  But I honestly believe that everyone has the right to be wrong.  If I flat out call you a liar and say that you're standing in the lobby of the Reno Hilton wearing a dress, then sure, I probably deserve to be called out for it.  But if I say that something you said was stupid, whiny and crybaby-ish, what real harm have I done?  Frankly, none.  Why not let the court of public opinion decide if I went over the line?  The only reason people post on here is because they know others will read it and respond to it.  It's actually been refreshing to find this forum because I, for one, can say something and see what others really think about it.  Chat rooms move too quickly for my taste.  There's too many conversations going on at the same time and it's hard to know who is talking to whom.  I take nothing here personally and neither should anyone else.  If you are taking things personally, that's your problem.

And to C.Rus, congratulations on your post.  Welcome to the Broo and keep posting.  I will submit that I think you could have expanded your idea a little more, but hey, we all have our own methods.  I bloviate, you're pithy.  I say go with what works for you.  Hope to read you again!  --DEC

By Edward on November 08, 2008 at 07:05 pm

Mr. Carson, you misunderstand as I have made no comment about or to you here as you falsely claim “no one, even you, Edward, have the right to try and tell me otherwise,”  --- unless you are also this El G, which I didn’t know.  I was pointing out the posted rules on this board to this El G to  “Please express criticism in courteous, temperate, and constructive terms.”

By Gary Schwind on November 08, 2008 at 11:13 pm

DE, you certainly are entitled to that opinion. I will say this much: Palin didn't help McCain. He's a 72-year-old guy and he selected a polarizing figure as his running mate. Like it or not, that caused a lot of voters to look at the situation and ask, "Do I want her in charge in case anything happens to McCain?" Clearly, the answer was a resounding no.

By Gary Schwind on November 09, 2008 at 02:53 pm

By the way, DE, the piece that "wreaked of petty, kindergarten whining," that was mine. And I guess it was silly of me to think that we, as adults, could disagree with each other without resorting to a very mature response like name-calling.