Monday, November 20, 2017

Yes!!! President Elect Barack Obama November 4, 2008

by Kim (writer), Los Angeles, November 05, 2008

The dream unfolds in a reality...

What words can be said that could possibly articulate the incredible joy and hopeful presence that resides in the souls of so many this night. I cannot express my feelings, my heart, my soul at this moment as I'm sure many would echo my words. As I watched, MY President Elect give his speech, gentle tears were in my eyes and I saw the eyes of others watching the speech President Obama share so profoundly with humility. He spoke of his appreciation, his devotion, his passion and love and need for the people who had elected him President of the United States of America.

Many have called this a historic moment, a great step forward, and a path towards healing the past. It is a millstone like none other made previously in the history of America. And yes, a move towards a bright beginning.

One of the most salient factors in this election was that President Obama transcended the odds, fears, myths, judgments, suspicions, prejudices, pain, heartache, confusion, and the unknown facts about himself. He transcended race in a way far more complex than "we're not looking at it..." . Many were looking at it in some respect. President Obama transcended towards it-- in that he challenged people to accept race.

He faced all fears without reservation.

President Obama was calm in the midst of the raging around him. He held his own and conducted himself in a genuine manner with strength of character and the true Obama stood strong.

This is a veritable instance of reflection and anticipation. In addition, it is a time of remembering those that laid the foundation for this victorious occasion.

Shirley Chisholm - who the first African American woman elected to Congress. Ms. Chisholm ran for President of the U.S in 1972. She did not receive the nomination but she did get 151 delegate votes.

There was also Jesse Jackson, Civil Rights leader who ran for President in 1984.

There is something to be said for these pioneers. We can also say volumes in regards to community organizing, engaging with others, grass roots activities, volunteering oneself to the lives of others, and never giving up.

This is only a fragment of a promise for change which has only just begun. The start of that change and hope was seen in the eyes of so many watching the speech given by President Barack Obama tonight.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Robert F. Kennedy, John F. Kennedy, Malcolm X, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, and so many others I wish I could name one by one are looking on with pride as we all look forward.

It is my hope and prayer that we all will get beside our President-Elect, Barack Obama in support and sIolidarity and exercise our rights to help him build that change that is only starting to evolve.

Kim is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

31 comments on Yes!!! President Elect Barack Obama November 4, 2008

By CCNY on November 05, 2008 at 01:20 pm

The honeymoon is nice, isn't it?  The work to be done, and there's a lot of it, will prove Obama's mettle, so hopefully this dreamy euphoria translates into a healthier, less divided America.

"Yes We Did WHAT?!?" is more my style, actually...

By Kim on November 05, 2008 at 02:16 pm

The "honeymoon" will go right into an enduring, stabilized, engaging, and unifying marriage that will connect us as neighbors, community, city, state, country, and globally. Let the healing begin...and as it does let each of us be a willing and integral positive addition to assist President Obama. YES WE STILL CAN...YES WE MUST CONTINUE

By CCNY on November 05, 2008 at 02:42 pm

I voted for Obama because his record proves that is what he is, an America first level-headed moderate centrist.

The first time he tries to vote "present" on a hot-button issue, and realizes that he can't do that in his new job, should be interesting.  It's easy to be levelheaded moderate centrist when you don't really do anything of note...

By Sharlene Hardin on November 05, 2008 at 02:44 pm

I voted for Obama not only for his voting records but his overall general positive campaigning methods.  Slander was not needed.  He also appealed to me for the fact that he was talking to me as an American, not aligned with either political party but that of being a citizen of Nation that is currently in economic crisis.

Yes, I agree there is still a lot of work to be done but right NOW, in this moment, I am celebrating the fact that the collective Nation has spoken and chosen a leader that deserves all the joy and recognition that comes with the great support Obama has been given.

*Insert lots of red white and blue flying confetti here*

By Kim on November 05, 2008 at 02:45 pm

GIVE HIM A CHANCE! Its easy to be cynical as well as it doesn't contrivute to anything or anyone.

By Kim on November 05, 2008 at 02:46 pm

contribute...sorry

By CCNY on November 05, 2008 at 02:47 pm

Yes, though it may not seem that way from my comments, I do really believe that RIGHT NOW, this moment is a time for celebration, reflection, recognition, etc... Hopefully, the country at large uses this as a reset to kind of start over, and build on the momentum that Obama is clearly riding right now.

By Kim on November 05, 2008 at 02:59 pm

Everyone...Thanks for your comments.  I was thinking we've been moving to the right since the Reagan era and WHERE has it gotten us? There needs to be a balance but ultimately.

We MUST address poverty and the poor in this nation...something that I believe Obama will do as he strives to bring everyone up. Its an area we want to pretend doesn't exist.

Addressing this is just one aspect of change but it is a HUGE piece. Something else to think about is when....have you ever seen this much interest in a U.S. candidate from all over the world???  It's going to unfold into many wonderful outcomes. At least that is my feeling on it. We SHOULD celebrate. This is a incredible millstone...We should reflect and we have to stay focussed and look at the BIG picture.

By Sharlene Hardin on November 05, 2008 at 03:01 pm

Thank you :)  and again Thank you Kim for the great article, as well as giving us a chance to continue this historic celebration.

By AmyO on November 05, 2008 at 07:08 pm

I am so very proud of our country for this choice and I hope that we can all come together in the coming years to build our country and each other up... sorry to sound so cheesy but this is a big moment in our history and we all need to celebrate it together and work to keep that feeling going. Obama has many challenges ahead, but we have overcome challenges like this before and I truly believe he is the best person to help us overcome them again. Ok... I will get off my soapbox now! :)

By Edward on November 05, 2008 at 07:13 pm

A great article and a great moment in history.  Of course, there's one in every crowd and here's it's this CCNY who I recommend read Maybe Your Definition Of Constructive Differs From Mine.

By D. E. Carson on November 05, 2008 at 11:28 pm

"For the first time in my adult life, I am truly proud of my country." --Michelle Obama.

"I am so very proud of our country for this choice..."  --Amy O'Neill

After Bush was elected in 2000, the radical left screamed bloody murder, cried voter fraud and went to any length to undermine his presidency.  When he was re-elected in 2004, the same cries of fraud and foul went up and the efforts to undermine and hate ratcheted up.  In 2006 when the Democrats took over the House and Senate and there were no cries of fraud.  Last night, the same thing, Obama wins and there are no cries of voter fraud.

Hmmm...  I guess it's inevitable that Amerika should become a socialist nation and it just shows who's more mature...

By CCNY on November 06, 2008 at 12:15 am

I love it... we're supposed to forget that liberals flung the serious ugly hate around for the last 8 years, because all of a sudden, they want US to bury the hatchet and get behind Obama because this is such a great moment in our history?  That's as unseemly as the Michelle Obama quote listed above...

Edward, thank you for singling me out, you have very good taste and I'm glad you could see that I am a singular presence in this crowd.  I'll certainly read that article, and again, kudos to you for your keen insight.

By AmyO on November 06, 2008 at 11:29 am

"I am so very proud of our country for this choice..."  --Amy O'Neill

Thank you DE for comparing me to Michelle Obama. I take that as a compliment. There is nothing wrong with questioning your country, it is our duty as citizens to do so if we don't agree with the path we are headed down.  That is the great thing about America. You don't have to agree with my political views and that is fine, you have the option of expressing your own opinion on sites like this and when you cast your ballot. As do I. I don't have to like it, and you don't have to like mine, but we are still citizens of this country and have the right to those opinions.

By Sharlene Hardin on November 06, 2008 at 12:34 pm

I agree with you Amy.  I'm neither Democrat or Republic for the simple fact that I struggle with trying to align myself with party politics; which tends to be more consumed with blame shifting than working together to find equatable government policy solutions.

By Kim on November 06, 2008 at 03:28 pm

Right On, Amy....Love your comments. I would also consider it a compliment to be compared with First Lady, Michelle Obama:)

And, Right On to Julian. I love your comments too....It IS rather hard to compare 338 Electoral Votes to 164 or so to the Bush fiasco in 2000 and 2004. This year's tallies were not exactly close to that.  People are always entitled to their opinion...rather it’s to the left, right or down the middle...and even if you're subliminally racist...that's your choice.

~Peace!

By AmyO on November 06, 2008 at 04:29 pm

I believe the term for this year is "landslide". Even McCain couldn't argue with that, which is why he conceeded at 11pm EST after the polls closed on the West Coast.

By Kim on November 06, 2008 at 04:38 pm

Yes, I believe you are right, Amy. I think the same would have been true if it were the other way around...President -Elect Obama would have been equally gracious to Mr. McCain.

This was a TOTALLY different election and outcome..."landslide" sums it up.

By Lady D on November 06, 2008 at 06:07 pm

Yeah, may we all pull together for we got lots of work to do. Yeah

By stanman on November 06, 2008 at 07:07 pm

Landslide?  Barack Obama had less electoral votes than Bill Clinton did in '92 & '96, yet Clinton's two presidential victories weren't considered landslides. Obama's popular vote margin was not in the double digits as predicted by some polls.

Unlike most American blacks,  Obama is not descended from slaves in this country and had a white mother.

Could their enthusiasm of him be attributed to skin color?

By CCNY on November 06, 2008 at 09:30 pm

Gloating about the size of the victory and the time of the concession phone call?  Hopefully you retain this intoxicating glee when Obama begins pushing a humungous rock up a giant hill in 3 months.  Winner's Euphoria, I guess... party on.

Stanman, very astute posting, though I'm sure someone will post another Final Score reminder to put you in your place.

Michelle Obama has some ridiculously high standards if a Presidential nomination for her hubby is the first time she's ever been proud to be an American.  How oppressed she's been!  Making 7 figures as a lawyer, being married to a US Senator... yeah, what a shitty gig, eh?  At least she's proud NOW... good for her.

By Kim on November 07, 2008 at 01:16 am

"Please express criticism in courteous, temperate, and constructive terms".... and respectful.

The slant and spirit of some comments is feeling quite crappy to put it mildly...I guess you're free to say what you want...but maybe you can do it somewhere else...

By Sharlene Hardin on November 07, 2008 at 10:40 am

I completely understand what Michelle Obama means, because I've loved my country but have not been particularily PROUD of it for a very long time.  My first political memories were in grade school when my grandmother had me watch President Richard Nixon's resignation as our Nations Commander and Chief.

There was some fleeting moments of PRIDE during the '76 Olympics that were held in Los Angeles, a few glimmers of Pride in the 80's but nothing that made me beam with pride for our Nation.  Maybe because there was always some sort of underlying scandal and my family has lots of international friends and family, so I got to the hear others perceptions of our Nation from other points of view (that were less favorable).

And Sure this is the Honeymoon phase for Obama, but this is the first time that I've voted and felt an enormous amount of PRIDE for the candidate I selected.  The first time that my international friends and family have sent emails and calls to celebrate this National Victory.  SO YES this is the FIRST time I feel an overwhelming sense of NATIONAL PRIDE for our Country.

By CCNY on November 07, 2008 at 11:22 am

El G, another Hall of Fame post for you; people never seem to see what you're saying because they so vehemently resent the tone of your posts, but they're missing a whole lot by doing that.  There's real meat in there, it's too bad they can't taste it.  That said, you're definitely looking at a number so low, it may match my own single-digit popularity rating, which is somehow even lower than Bush's approval rating.  Hooray?

Sharlene, I can't believe you'd let international friends and family peer-pressure you into feeling ashamed about your country.  Like they don't have any underlying scandals in other governments and cultures around the globe?  C'mon...

It's funny that you should mention your pride in our national sports teams because I recently read a great book called "How Football (Soccer) Explains The World," and I found this to be true in a strange way, and also a little shocking: in Spain, they throw bananas at black soccer players during games, and that's only when they've taken a break from doing in-unison monkey chanting at the same players.  In Italy's soccer stadiums, there are whole sections in the grandstands filled with fascist fans doing "Heil Hitler" salutes when their team scores a goal.  I know soccer hooligans are possibly not the best barometer to use, since their behavior is probably some of the most savage and abberant, but can you imagine that happening at a game here in the US?!?  I know that if I chanted a racial epithet or monkey-chanted at a black player at Shea or Yankee Stadium in NY, I'd get pounded by fans of every color, guaranteed.

Step outside of sports and look at the political scenes in other countries around the world, and the corruption is SO out in the open, it's enough to make an American's jaw drop.  My question is "how do these countries feel that THEY can look down on US?"  They don't have the balls to step up and try to make things right around the world, and it's easier for them to stand aside and let us try, and then they can throw rocks at us if they think we've failed (which is all the time).

I say don't be cowed by these people who fail to see or understand the myriad reasons that we have to beam with pride EVERY DAY here in the US, no matter who is President.

By Kim on November 07, 2008 at 11:24 am

Thanks Sharlene, I totally agree:) I've had friends who live in Nova Scotia, Canada email ans share their joy for this National Victory!

By AmyO on November 07, 2008 at 11:43 am

Kim, they are not capable of expressing criticism in courteous terms, as we have learned on so many articles.

By Ryan Glenn on November 09, 2008 at 04:21 pm

For the first time in my life I was able vote for President, and it held a whole new meaning to me. After really looking back on the years growing up I seem to remember not having any interest in the campaigning or elections that took place. Now don’t get me wrong I always knew when the elections were because that was all my parents would gossip about, but at that time it just never caught my attention. I was way too young to be thinking about politics, and my input at the time would not have mattered either way. Well that’s at least what I had thought, and little did I know it was going have such a big effect on life.

Well so it was until the year 2008 when my vote actually counted. In this years election I was very pleased that my vote for Presidency had a meaning in our country. With our economy the way it is we need a big change in the path that America is on today. We need to better our economy as a whole, and I feel the candidate I choose, Barack Obama, is going to help in every way he can to benefit our nation, and help succeed in getting America back on the right track. I know that even if he can’t live up to all his expectations that he will help lead our country better than any other candidate who is running for President, and have us heading back in the right direction.

This election I actually took the initiative to be an early voter, along with many others. It turned out to be one of the biggest early voting turnouts in history, and setting early voting records throughout our Nation. This was very surprising but I found it to be very interesting because I feel a lot more people are getting involved in this election. I feel we have someone who is willing to make sacrifices in order to better our country. I feel a candidate has been able to reach out to all different generations and races of people, and has me to believe he will benefit not only my life but every other citizen living in America.

This election has made a huge impact on my life and I know many others as well. It is up to us as Americans to choose who we all know is going to be the best President for our country, and hope it’s the right path for all of us.  After this election is over depends on where our future is going to take us, and if we all believe together there is nothing but good that will come out of this election. As for me I am very satisfied that my beliefs and thoughts were actually taken into consideration, and from here on I will keep this interest and knowledge I have gained from the 2008 election and use it to my advantage for future elections to come.

By CCNY on November 09, 2008 at 09:43 pm

El G, if that counts as an initiation, I'm so glad you're not a gang member.

You're... not... a gang member, are you?

(Nervous laughter)

(Logs off)

By CCNY on November 11, 2008 at 11:51 am

Don't ya mean, "West Bank represent"?

By Vyse on November 11, 2008 at 12:28 pm

For the first time in my life I am ashamed of my country.

By Neon on September 24, 2009 at 03:53 pm

I’ll go ahead and admit it. I was disappointed to see the various slabs of pork that were fired up and stapled onto the pair of 12-digit spending packages signed into law by President Obama. It would have been refreshing, to say the least, to see spending bills that were leaner, meaner and invulnerable to any charges of typical legislative porcine mischief. Not a surprise, I suppose, that it was not to be. At this point, all one can conclude is that Congress, no matter who’s in charge, just can’t seem to help itself. It’s like parking an alcoholic in a sports bar, stuffing five Benjamins in his pocket, and saying, “I’ll be back in six hours. Behave.”

But something did happen recently that reminded me why I’m still greatly encouraged to have BHO in the White House. On March 4, Obama ordered a wide-ranging review of government spending practices. He said, in particular reference to the relationship between the defense department and the industries with which it does its business, “The days of giving defense contractors a blank check are over.” In that same statement, he mentioned “indefensible no-bid contracts that have cost American taxpayers billions.”

Well, yippee, yahoo and yay. It’s about goddamn time.

This has been happening for decades now, and it could well be the single most blatant, wasteful, and utterly flatulent part of America’s annual budget. I mean, how old are those stories about the army buying $75 hammers? Only one entity on this planet would ever pay 75 bucks for a bleeping hammer, and it’s the U.S. government. Why? Because in the bizarre universe ruled by the military-industrial complex, which has been calling the shots for some time now, the government (the military) happily and willingly allows its gluttonous corporate partner to scarf at the public trough as if it were some ravenously hungry 900-pound razorback.

This slobbering rape of the federal treasury is now completely well-entrenched SOP, to the point where major defense contractors can now depend on this annual horror to keep them wallowing in black ink.

Obama went on to cite a report issued last year by the G.A.O. (U.S. Government Accountability Office), which uncovered Defense Department overruns to the tune of $295 billion. In case you’re keeping score, 295 bill still rates as serious money, even in this new era of trillion-dollar boondoggles. So, good for our new president for bringing this madness to our attention. Will he be able to do anything to fix this utterly sinful egregiousness? Who knows? Something this large and this institutionalized has some serious inertia behind it, and just to slow it down a bit will undoubtedly require some major muscle. But it’s mighty encouraging to see that Mr. Obama is at least willing to put a shoulder to it.