Thursday, November 23, 2017

And The Republican VP Nomination Goes To...Sarah Palin?

by AmyO (writer), Marin County, August 31, 2008

Who?

In an apparently successful attempt to steal the spotlight from Barack Obama's big night at the Democratic Convention, John McCain let it be known he had picked his VP. Who will it be everyone wondered...Mitt Romney, no... Tom Ridge, no... Kay Bailey-Hutchinson, no... It is...drumroll please... Sarah Palin!

Wait, what? The governor of Alaska who has been in office for 18 months? Seriously? Oh, ok, its an attempt to get the "disenfranchised" Democrats that voted for Hillary Clinton. Wow...What an insult to women everywhere!

Sarah Palin is EXTREMELY Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Pro Alaska National Wildlife Refuge drilling and is married to someone involved in Big Oil. She is also being investigated for firing someone in her staff that wouldn't fire her brother-in-law, whom her sister was in a major custody dispute with. The specifics are not known, but it is interesting that the Republicans would pick someone that is under an investigation of any kind.

During Palin's speech she mentioned the 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling that Hillary Clinton made with her historic Presidential Race. She went on to say that women everywhere can still shatter that ceiling with her VP nomination. Is she joking? Her nomination is pandering of the lowest form. She is the opposite of what women everywhere would need. In fact, it wouldn't be far fetched to say she is actually a step backward for women with her conservative ideas and lack of experience.

If, god forbid, something should happen to John McCain, this is not the person who should be "answering the phone at 3am". She has been the governor of Alaska for less than two years! And before that, she was mayor of a town of 7,000 (give or take). Really Republicans? Is this the best you can do?

Only time will tell if this selection will actually work in helping the Republicans win in November, but it is obvious that they did accomplish their major goal for Friday, distract from Barack Obama's speech. This election has just turned the corner from important to critical. Now its up to voters in November to see John McCain's VP choice for what it is and keep the Republicans from winning, again.

AmyO is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

25 comments on And The Republican VP Nomination Goes To...Sarah Palin?

By D. E. Carson on September 01, 2008 at 12:28 am

Okay, where do we begin?  How about with the facts.

1)Yes, she is pro-life.  Hillary isn't.  I hardly see how that connects.

2) Yes, she is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.  You also forgot to mention that she is, herself, an avid big game hunter.

3) The "A" of ANWR stands for "Arctic" not "Alaskan".  If you're going to be picky, let's make sure we get the WHOLE story right.  There is not a thing wrong with drilling in ANWR.  The area proposed is just down the coast from Prudhoe Bay oil field.  ANWR itself is the size of South Carolina and the proposed drilling site is along the coast and is the size of a small town.  Your allegation lies about these facts just so you can keep clubbing the rest of the world with baby seals and polar bear cubs.

4) Yes, her husband works for an oil company.  The company is called BP and he is a field manager.  He's not an executive.  He's not even in upper management.  He's a middle management grunt who has to work for a living like the rest of us.  Your allegation is a fallacy at best and shows your ignorance of the facts.

5) Your contention of her being under investigation is dangerously close to being considered for the "trial by media" award right behind the Duke LaCrosse case.  Thou shalt not convict someone in the media.  Obama hasn't won the election yet so Americans -- even Sarah Palin-- are still innocent until proven guilty.  Can you prove that she fired the director of public safety because he wouldn't fire the brother-in-law state trooper?   If you can't, then I suggest you keep comments like that to yourself.

6) I suppose you really do believe that there is no hope for women to move forward in this world.  That's a sad commentary on you.  I happen to agree that Hillary did make those 18 million cracks and I also happen to believe that Palin can break through that glass ceiling -- and I'm a guy.  I personally know women who believe that America should NEVER have a woman president.  You call her "pandering"?  If McCain had picked anyone else other than Palin, it would have been "the Rich Guys ticket" and you know it.  After studying Palin, she's actually a far better choice from that stand point alone. I do agree that in other areas, Mitt Romney would have been a much better choice, but America isn't ready to elect a Mormon to the White House as president or vice-president.

7) Then you criticize Palin for her lack of experience.  Even at 18 months, Palin has more management experience than Barack Obama's 145 days in the U.S. Senate where he has not accomplishe one single thing.  Palin has taken on tough politicans in Alaska politics and won.  She has pushed every way she can to help America wean itself off foreign oil.  What has Obama done?  In a word: nothing.

At least with Palin, America knows who she is, where she's from and what she's about.  After almost two years of having Obama shoved down our throats by the whiny liberal media, nobody knows anything about Obama.

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 12:44 am

Merely MY opinion. Which is why I posted it under the OPINION section. Thanks for reading though. And sorry for the inaccuracy of the "A" for ANWR.

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 12:49 am

Oh and I didn't call HER pandering, I called her nomination pandering. I definitely do think this was an attempt at getting women's votes. She has even made an appeal to the 18 million people that voted for Hillary twice now, which she got booed for yesterday. And I merely felt it was necessary to mention the investigation. I am not convicting her. Just pointing out that I thought it was interesting the Republicans would pick someone that was under investigation for something since the media and others would jump on that story.

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Brooklyn, I actually read about that all as well. Sounds awfully fishy to me!

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 01:09 pm

So it was just announced that Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant now... Interesting... Pretty big example of why abstinence-only education doesn't work. The McCain camp said the announcement was made to rebutt internet rumors that Sarah Palin faked her last pregnancy.

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 04:18 pm

Yeah and the McCain campaign decided to make the announcement that the daughter was pregnant the day Hurricane Gustav hit... I'm sure that was not an attempt at burying the story at all!

By AmyO on September 01, 2008 at 08:54 pm

First of all, I agree that attacking a 17 year old is not right, I was merely mentioning that its ironic that Republicans preach abstinence only and then the VP's daughter is knocked up at 17. Obviously her preaching wasn't working. And the only reason she is ENGAGED as you say is because they were made to be so that the Republicans can say "Oh yes she's 17 and pregnant but they are getting married, so that makes it OK." Give me a break! I feel sorry for this poor girl for being trapped in this ridiculous mess that could have been avoided had her mother sat her down and talked to her about BIRTH CONTROL. What a foreign concept.

By fashionista on September 02, 2008 at 02:20 pm

What is scary to me is the attach on women's reproductive rights, the republican party recently was trying to include Birth Control & plan B under the description for abortion... therefore making it illegal. If she and McCain were to have their way women would have NO rights regarding birth control, abortion or plan B. In some states they have actually tried to ban condoms!

If McCain and Palin were to be voted in, this would be 3 steps back for women everywhere! I find it interesting actually that men should even be allowed to have an opinion on what we women do with out bodies, they have no experience on what it's like to be a women, and they are free to leave (and many do) when the child is born...

By AmyO on September 02, 2008 at 02:38 pm

I know Fashionista, I read about that as well and was appalled at how low the Bush Admin will actually sink when it comes to women's rights. If you oppose abortion or birth control that's fine, but the government has no place making laws about what people can and can't do with their bodies.

By AmyO on September 02, 2008 at 04:38 pm

Yeah, what a "Maverick" choice McCain.

By AmyO on September 02, 2008 at 11:23 pm

I have sympathy for her daughter since she was brainwashed into believing she would be able to wait till marriage to have sex and then hormones took over and she did it anyway without any proper knowledge of birth control. Now she is having a child and getting married at 17 wit the rest of the world watching. I do not have sympathy for her mother who obviously did not take into account the way spotlight would be taken off of her and onto her family. I don't think the focus should be on the child, but unfortunately, that is what is happening.

By Lila M. on September 05, 2008 at 06:09 pm

I think that what bothers me most about her is her arrogance and the fact that she thinks just because she has a vagina makes her qualified for ALL women to vote for her regardless of her views that obviously don't support a womens right to make choices for her own body, etc.  She is insulting to women.  We women are not stupid, we are not sheep, we are not going to flock to vote for her just because she is female.   She needs to stop repeating that same stale '18 million cracks' line and "wow" us quick, cause Obama is looking better by the minute.

By CCNY on September 05, 2008 at 11:36 pm

That would be "Secessionist / supports Secession" --- not Succession.  Civil War 101.

By CCNY on September 05, 2008 at 11:50 pm

I love how Bill Clinton getting plated in the Oval Office didn't bother any of you liberals, but somehow it's okay to get really nasty and personal over Palin's daughter' pregnancy.

I especially loved the indidgnant "What else is she lying about?" comment by Brooklyn Genes, which was what I wanted to know while Bubba was wagging a crooked finger in all our faces, swearing he did not... have... sexual... relations... with... oh, you know the rest.  Where was the outcry then?!?  Nope.  Back then, liberals acted like it was neither here nor there that he had disgraced the office of the Presidency, it didn't hinder him from running the country.  Rather, they admired him because he was not only a great statesman in their eyes, he was also a great swordsman.

But NOW... with Sarah Palin, NOW... it matters.  Now, there's a direct connection in Palin's case... It didn't matter when Whitewater showed the Clintons to be as slippery as eels.  How come those lies didn't lead to any liberal hand-wringing about "What else are THEY lying about?"

Be Consistent.

Chas

By CCNY on September 06, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Lila,

Are you sure that it's really a "fact" that "Sarah Palin thinks just because she has a vagina makes her qualified for ALL women to vote for her..."

How could you know that?  And how many of those smart women WERE going to vote for Hillary SPECIFICALLY because she's a woman?  I know quite a few who stated they were going to do just that, and that's cool if that's how you make your decisions, a lot of people vote that way.  But it goes both ways.

A few months ago, if I would have inserted Hillary Clinton's name in place of Palin's in the above vagina sentence, Democrats would have gone ballistic.  It was okay when Hillary thought all American women would vote for her, or for me to assume that as a fact, but it rubs you the wrong way when Palin does it.  Double standard?  Is Palin the first candidate whose views clash with her actual behavior?  Didn't Hillary vote YES on a war she so vehemently opposes?  Does she get a pass for that?

In the end, Palin has to know that she's not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't think she or McCain do any kind of math where her selection = 18 million votes from Hillary's minions.

Chas

By Lila M. on September 06, 2008 at 05:52 pm

Chas - I don’t vote for people based on what they are, I vote for them based on what they’re views are and if I agree with them or not.  I’ve voted Republican and Democrat in the past based on views…not who is popular, etc.   I didn’t think Hillary was qualified either, she has her faults.  But the difference with Hillary was that she understood and respected the right of a woman to make choices about their own bodies.  Unlike Palin who comes off as - hey women vote for me and in return I’ll take your rights away and give them to a few dusty old men to make choices on your body for you.   So no, it’s not a double standard, it’s her arrogance that she exudes, like she knows what’s best for every woman.   I suggest if she wants to appeal to women, she should start living as one.

By CCNY on September 06, 2008 at 11:50 pm

I don't even know why we care about any candidate's abortion position.  Everybody panics during every single election year about abortion as a huge issue, but when has Roe v Wade ever been in actual jeopardy in the recent past?  People get apoplectic when its time to tab a new Supreme Court Justice, but when has a new judge ever tried to blow up Roe v Wade?  I always hear that alarmist warning, "If so-and-so wins the election, it means back-alley abortions will be our only option!"  Really?  Does it?  For all the ink the abortion issue gets, how much have things changed over the last few presidencies?  We heard that Reagan was going to flip it, then Bush, because of all their Religious Right connections, but neither one did it.  So as far as dusty old men being able to make women's choices for them, I think that's way off base.

Cheap parting shot: Do you think Hillary approves of the choices Monica Lewinsky made with her body?  Maybe not...

By CCNY on September 07, 2008 at 08:05 pm

Thanks for the hidden comments, proving the old liberal adage: "Speech is free, unless I don't agree with or approve of it."

By Lila M. on September 08, 2008 at 12:21 am

Chas –

First off, I didn’t “hide” your comments.  Maybe you pissed a liberal off.

I don’t get offended, pissed, etc. and I’m not here to debate this as I know that everyone including you is entitled to their opinion.  Whether you agree or not, the topic in my opinion, is not a black and white issue.  And I will just leave it with this…Most people live in nice suburban homes, they don’t work with the homeless, or orphanages, or with inner city youth, etc.  They sure have opinions about those things, but they never like to get their hands dirty.  Palin also lives as a suburban “hockey mom” lifestyle which she herself said in Alaska.  But what if she lived in a crime driven city where her daughter got raped and didn’t want to have a baby, would Palin’s view still be the same then?   I have a friend who is a social worker, she’s worked in the places I’ve mentioned above.  She’s seen and heard stories from women, horrendous stories that you would not wish on your enemies.  Some being raped, even in shelters, and absolutely not wanting to have a child that they cannot take care of when they can’t even take care of themselves.  So no I’m not talking about the irresponsible debutantes who want abortion rights as a method of birth control.  I’m talking about desperate women who may not have an alternative but to commit suicide rather than have a baby they did not intend to have.   Unfortunately this is the real world we live in, not just the one with a double car garage.  So again, it is never black and white when it comes to this topic.  And unless you are a woman, you will not understand that there are certain circumstances such as these horrific ones where society does become afraid of choices being taken away from them because it is necessary for those people to be given choices as an alternative or solution.

By Lila M. on September 08, 2008 at 12:22 am

Chas –

First off, I didn’t “hide” your comments.  Maybe you pissed a liberal off.

By Lila M. on September 08, 2008 at 12:27 am

Also, I'm not here to debate abortion.  But this is where you need to understand that this is is a big reason why most women don't like about Palin.  It's not the way she dresses, it's her view.

By CCNY on September 08, 2008 at 11:56 am

To say I don't understand because I'm not a woman is patently offensive to me.  I have a family member who was raped, not once, but twice, so I fully understand the ramifications, if not physically on my own body.  I happen to be that rarest of birds, a Pro-Choice Republican, which I know some people think doesn't exist (Imagine that... someone flexible to not swallow every plank of a party's platform).

I don't think their is any way that Palin would make her daughter have a baby conceived by a rape, but who can say for sure?  I do know that it's very easy to suppose what any one of us would do in a purely hypothetical situation, but much different when actually faced with the true grit of a real-life situation.  That's why liberals find it so easy to excuse crime, because most of them haven't ever been the victim.  Point a gun at a liberal's head and let's see if they still say "society made that person a criminal..."

And to act like there are only rapes in bad neighborhoods and not the suburbs is complete foolishness.  Rapes only happen to the indigent poor in homeless shelters?  What world do you live in?

Chas

By AmyO on September 08, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I think what Lila meant is that it's upsetting that there are men in government that are anti-abortion when they themselves will not ever physically have to go through something like that. Yes, they may have people in their life that might, but as you said, you can never understand that decision until you are in that situation. Yes, even men can be affected by it or have to be involved in the decision, but at the end of the day, it should not be up to the government to make that choice for people.

By AmyO on September 08, 2008 at 12:20 pm

And Palin has said that she is anti-abortion even in cases of rape.

By CCNY on September 08, 2008 at 12:35 pm

And I contend that the government DOESN'T make that choice for people.  There hasn't been a serious attempt at overturning Roe v Wade in forever, so why is it automatically assumed that Palin will have any success pushing through an agenda (as VICE President, no less) that outlaws abortion in any or all circumstances?

As I said above, I think that no matter anyone's official position, they may choose to act differently when actually faced with the repercussions of a real-life event.