Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Some Birds Just Do Not Use Their Wings

by Justin (writer), Pittsburgh, June 09, 2008

How is hockey less appreciated than football, baseball, and other American sports?

Hockey is the only sport I watch, and therefore the only sport I actually enjoy. The constant hitting, the teeth, the blood, the carnage, it reminds me of watching Hostel II for the third time in a row. Merely kidding, but it does invoke a respect and admiration for the athletes that are constantly moving, and are constantly getting checked into the boards.

To me, it is the only sport that doesn't have a huge fascination with its inner workings. People don't huddle around the screen for the NHL draft. "Woo, mom look the Pittsburgh Penguins are taking Plaxico Burress from the New York Giants!" It just does not happen. Not to say that I don't watch other sports, but they don't enthuse me, they don't get me off of my fat ass and scream when my team scores, or continually bite my finger nails until they bleed because the time is slowly closing in, and it doesn't look like we are going to score that final goal to put us into overtime.

I understand that all athletes work hard for their individual sports, and their individual teams, but it seems to me that Hockey, and Hockey players get the short end of the stick when it comes to dedication to their jobs. The fifth game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs went into three overtimes, or the time of one whole game. These players had battled for a full two games in 4 hours, and yet came out with the dedication and constant adrenaline rush to try to score that last sudden death goal. It was an amazing sight to see, and surely kept me on my toes shouting foul words toward my TV set.

The news stations around Pittsburgh were only halfway impressed with the Penguins when they reached the Crème de la Crème of Hockey; the Stanley Cup. Though they would still break with stories from the Steelers, and then their third or fourth stories would be those about the Penguins and interviews from the players. I understand that it is probably different and perhaps even less televised in other parts of the country.

I thought America loved violence and fights! Where have I been, obviously watching too much Hockey. Maybe it's America's hatred for other cultures, or other sports to come into their core and culture, but Hockey is something that a lot of Americans miss, and I hope in the coming years it is better televised and the athletes get the appreciation that they truly deserve.

Justin is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on Some Birds Just Do Not Use Their Wings

By Gary Schwind on June 09, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I couldn't agree more. I wrote a piece with a similar theme not long ago. Americans seem much more drawn to sports with ample opportunity for commercials.

By Justin on June 09, 2008 at 11:08 pm

haha, El I understand. At least we can agree that basketball is an abortion... right!

By Jen on June 10, 2008 at 01:33 am

Hockey guys are jerks.  They tear up the ice as if they own it or something and then goose the figure skaters...even the ugly ones...even the male ones.

Its an abomination and it must be stopped.

By Lila M. on June 10, 2008 at 05:35 pm

I have a friend who is 6 foot 7, plays on a hockey league and he's hot!   So yes, J&T is absolutely right!

By Gary Schwind on June 10, 2008 at 07:31 pm

ElG, each of us thinks the other is living in darkness. Trust me when I say I am not trying to persuade you to my side. I will agree that hockey doesn't translate well to television. But here are some things hockey has working in its favor.

1. I never get the sense that the outcome of a hockey game is pre-determined like I get when I watch an NBA game. (By the way, anyone know the over/under on the average number of free throws Kobe will shoot each game in LA? I bet he doesn't have less than 20 attempts in any game at Staples.)

2. I don't get the sense that the NHL is trying to cram a game between commercials like when I watch the NFL.

3. Hockey doesn't put me to sleep like baseball. (I would put golf here too, but I don't consider golf a sport).

By chetthejet on June 29, 2008 at 09:57 pm

Your article is insightful. Be care not to give the NHL too much credit on the commercial side, however, as if they could fit more ads, they would. Been around many sports. Hockey really is an awesome form of athleticism, but you don't get too many part-timers, if you know what I'm saying? You either get it (hockey), or you don't. Keep looking "between the lines," so to speak, at everything around you and then tell us what you see, just like you have here. And do not let the luna-posters influence you in the least. I write all over the place (just not much here), and you'll get the "It's all about me and my opinions" types everywhere you submit. They rule nothing. Focus on your next piece, not them.

By Adelina88 on June 02, 2014 at 06:09 am

Is so special thanks pozycjonowanie stron