Sunday, November 19, 2017

Broowaha Founder Finding Fault?

Author Mark Holt asks the burning question every BrooWaha author wonders about but are afraid to ask. What if Ariel hates you?

BrooWaha is an interesting hobby. Writers who have been published and have agents can come here to keep in touch with the cutting edge/intelligent people who do their reading online instead of between hard covers. Writers who are unpublished can have at it, accept constructive criticism and practice writing with the hope of improving their game. Writers can check out stats which keep you humble instead of just hearing from readers who blow smoke up your ass. And you make friends... well at least you get to know people when you read what they have to say and you can track your favorite Broo writers. So it's a great (and genius) forum. But what (hypothetically) if the founder of the website decides for whatever reason that he doesn't like you. What are the repercussions?

Well for starters, maybe he won't promote you well. I mean, who decides who gets top billing, gets put in the "sweet spot" at blog in and is in control of article ratings and comments? Who has the power to keep articles in the spotlight and make your writing look good, or not? It's Ariel, isn't it? What if your first submission pisses him off, makes him jealous, expresses an opinion he disagrees with, and you are forever on his "not worth the read" list? What then? I mean he DID grow up in Paris and they all hate us, right?

And then there is the whole profile pic thing. WHY does Ariel have that look on his face? To me it says "If I like you, your gonna love this place. If not, I'll kick your article writing ass. Oh, maybe not in person, but TRY to get famous here. I'll send you into literary obscurity". Does everyone get that vibe from Ariel or is it just me? Look at his profile pic. And then there is the hat. What's that about? Is Ariel bald? Is he going for a hard guy look? I mean it's LA, is he really cold?

Ariel claims that Digi-Dave does the editorial stuff but could Digi-Dave possibly be Ariel's own alter ego, one guy in the same? Why does Ariel make comments anonymously? I mean he OWNS this place, what's that about? Ariel has written almost 70 articles. Would anyone really trash him on his own (genius) site and if you did, how would that affect the future of your own submissions? Would anyone dare to rate him harshly? I wonder about these things because, truthfully.... I don't think Ariel likes me. Call me paranoid but I just don't get a good feeling from him. Am I insane or does Ariel like the females and doesn't he say nicer things to and about them, than the male writers? Is this an internet writers form of "I'm the king of the castle" and no other guys are allowed?

These are things that keep me awake at night. Which is why I am up writing at 3 a.m. Am I the only one? Ariel...... post anonymously on this article and let me know, do I really have a chance on BrooWaha, or should I just give up and go with Harper and Random House? And most importantly. Ariel - do you ever smile?

icanluvulongtime is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

15 comments on Broowaha Founder Finding Fault?

By Ariel on May 31, 2008 at 07:58 pm

I am rarely the one publishing articles lately, but I had to publish this one. And I did with a big smile ;)

By Lady D on May 31, 2008 at 08:46 pm

I have seen all kinds of writng on this site and to many points of view to count. I think if your article gets read enough it stays in the "sweet spot."

So keep on writing.

By icanluvulongtime on May 31, 2008 at 09:39 pm

So Lady D, we are going to pretend that there are actually rules here and it's not all based on if  Ariel likes you or not?  Ed, am I trying to destroy Ariel, or save BrooWaha - THAT is the question.  El G, easy for you to say.  Ariel LIKES you.

By Glenn T on June 01, 2008 at 06:02 pm

I know Ariel is a just and righteous ruler.  He must be.  Only a man of infinite patience and forgiveness could allow Gary Wells to exist on this site.

How can you not love El G?  Seriously.  In a town full of sychophants, someone with the brass to tell it like it is, even when it sucks for you, and still make you like it... now that's someone I want to read.

For those who don't realize this is tongue-in-cheek, close your browser and step slowly away from the internet... open your door and step outside, you might just benefit from a little perspective.  That or we can have El G and Ariel come over and beat the ever-loving crap out of you for being so stupid...

ARIEL FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!! (How much worse can we do?)

By Lila M. on June 01, 2008 at 06:34 pm

Obviously like other intelligent entrepreneurs, I’m sure Ariel wants to attract eyeballs to the site as well as compelling writing that hooks in regular readers.  I don’t think he bases it on favorites.  Those type of sites who play the ‘favorites game’ have the same four people blowing sunshine up each others ass praising how great their article is/was.  Those sites fail because others never get a chance to be in the top spot and ultimately lose interest and move on.

I think it’s the people who choose or have their favorites.   I mean, look at El G, that’s a great example.  Some might disagree with me, but his writing style is a favorite among many here and mine too.  I’m not trying to blow sunshine up his ass - but really, he can write about how a street gets paved and many of us would still read it because there will always be some ridiculous or outrageous thought, point of view or twist to the article that makes it interesting to read.

I think Lady D mentioned this also, but ultimately what I've been seeing is it's also about how many people are interested in the topic you covered that keeps you in the top billing as well.

By Lila M. on June 01, 2008 at 07:07 pm

oops, one correction on my comment above, "there will always be some ridiculous"

I meant "ridiculously funny", not "ridiculous" but I guess it can go both ways....

By icanluvulongtime on June 01, 2008 at 08:21 pm

In the words of one of my favorite writers....  For those who don't realize this is tongue-in-cheek, close your browser and step slowly away from the internet

By Jen on June 01, 2008 at 08:34 pm

Dude.  Ariel is one cool Mofo.  This site rocks!

Anyplace that lets me (or the infamous El G...or my cyber lover JT *kisses* babe) spout off the way we do is a cool place to be...and I love the rat bastard for creating it.

Ariel doesnt hate ya...but some of the more humorless readers might ;)

By D. E. Carson on June 01, 2008 at 11:12 pm

NOTICE: All articles written by me are intended only for those who have enough of a sense of humor or thick enough skin to handle criticism.  Those who read my articles are advised to do so at your own peril as you may find yourself suffering severe brain cramping when confronted with the truth.  No animals have ever been harmed in the writing of any article, however the yappy little dog next door is living on borrowed time.

BTW: This isn't tongue-in-cheek, it is tongue-through-cheek-down-shoulder-and-touching-the-floor...  (Don't go there J&T!)

By D. E. Carson on June 04, 2008 at 11:38 pm

"Gary Wells is an avatar. Ariel is a hologram. Digi-Dave is a mirage. And BrooWaha exists only in our minds."

And that means J&T is only a drink, Ed is a mirror image of Reza and I'm a bad acid trip...

By icanluvulongtime on June 05, 2008 at 02:25 am

i'll have a j & t on the Rox

By icanluvulongtime on June 05, 2008 at 02:26 am

o yea and i think i rock also cos i managed to get ariel to post on my article.  ariel rox 2.

By 'Mean' Mike Duffau on June 05, 2008 at 07:53 pm

mark the champ! i dont think ariel hates ya. he seems down to earth and willing to help when we gotta problem. dont think about that kinda of stuff, just keep writing. "you cant please everybody."

By Michelle Yang on June 08, 2008 at 02:16 pm

so i'm new to this community and just started reading articles, and can i say that you guys are seriously hilarious. on the floor. luved it!

By icanluvulongtime on June 08, 2008 at 11:07 pm

welcome michelle..... we are a pretty funny group.  and we write funny stuff sometimes, also.