Monday, October 23, 2017

March's Featured Contributor - Ed Attanasio

Ed needs little introduction here at Broowaha. He is a powerhouse of a user - and for good reason. He constantly writes fantastic stories. Let's get to know Ed a little better.

How does where you live influence who/what you write about and how you go about doing it?

I like writing about San Francisco. There is so much going on here when it comes to art, theater, music and politics. I am not a very political person, so I write about things that interest me, like doing restaurant reviews, sports stories and articles about dogs, which is another one of my interests.

Your Broowaha logo, is there a story behind it?

No, I have changed my Broowaha logo several times. The photo I have now is one that I found online. It’s a little dog dressed up like Batman. I love dogs, as I mentioned, and Batman has always been my favorite superhero and I liked the photo. I will probably change it again soon.

I see you like writing about sports - when did that start? What is the favorite story you ever wrote about on this topic.

I have been a sportswriter during different times in my career. I write high school sports currently for a paper called Section Sports. I also have a baseball history web site called www.thisgreatgame.com. I am a baseball historian and I’ve interviewed approximately 40 retired former major league players. I love hearing their stories. I also have a sports blog called www.sportsonthestreet.blogspot.com. The best story I’ve done on sports for Broo has to be the one about college football called “The BCS is BS.” Digidave linked it up to some sites and it got a ton of hits and a lot of Broosters commented on it. That was my favorite, I guess, because it got so many responses and hits.

You also are a comedian. How does that influence what you write at Broowaha?

I did standup for 12 years, and got to work with people like Rob Schneider, Dana Carvey, Kevin Nealon and the late great Sam Kinison. After a while I burned out on it. I got tired of being on the road and getting heckled by drunks. One time I performed at a school for the deaf and they heckled me in sign. One guy told me after seeing my act that he was happy he couldn’t hear. Then, another time I was performing in Fresno and these three drunken hicks who looked like ZZ Top started heckling me. I said, “Hey, what are you guys doing here? No more rats to shoot down at the dump?” They got mad and were waiting outside the club after the gig. They wanted to kick my ass. The local cops had to escort me to my hotel. I decided to quit that night. Now I write jokes for other comics, including Mickey Joseph and Roger Henson, two fairly well-known comedians.

In the time you've been part of Broowaha, how have you grown as a writer or interviewer? Maybe you can tell us about your first article, your favorite article to write and your most recent.

BrooWaha is really an extension of my blog, www.edattanasio.blogspot.com. Many years ago, I realized that if I wanted to be a professional writer, I had to write for myself. If I can ever parlay it into getting paid (which I have, in some cases) that’s cool. But, the main thing is to just keep writing. BrooWaha is great because you can write about anything you want. When you work for a publication, they assign you articles, and you have to write about things that might not interest you, in many cases. With Broo, you pick the topics and so it’s less work and more fun. Then, once you get positive responses from fellow Broo-sters (or negative ones) it makes it even more interesting. I have heard some writers complain they’re not getting paid for their writing (we even had one writer go on strike, which I frankly thought was kind of silly). But, BrooWaha doesn’t ask for exclusive rights to any of the articles, so you’re free to sell them elsewhere. It’s a great forum to get feedback and exposure and hone your writing skills.

If you could get could write about anyone or any situation, what would it be?

I’d like to interview dead people, like Jim Morrison, Gandhi, Jesus Christ, Andy Warhol, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Hunter S. Thompson, Walt Disney, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Vincent Van Gogh and John Holmes.

What artist (musician, author, painter etc) inspires you?

See above. As far as living people go, I really love Counting Crows, R. Crumb, Howard Stern, Beetlejuice, Eric the Midget and a comedian named Jim Gaffigan.

Of our topics (city life, night life, culture, sports, etc) what is your favorite? Is there a reason why you tend to write/read more articles in that section?

I write a lot in the Culture section, because many of the things I write fit better in that slot than any other. My restaurant reviews, celebrity-bashing pieces and entertainment-related stuff all fit into this category.

If I could change anything BrooWaha, I would make two suggestions:

1.) Possibly offer a few more categories, like Film, Food, Music and Art.

2.) Allow writers to edit their articles once they’ve been published. No matter how carefully I proofread my stuff, I hate it when I see my article published and then notice errors/typos I didn’t catch originally. I had one real bad one recently in a restaurant review I did, when the word “duck confit” was embarrassingly misspelled as “dick confit.”

Digidave is an editor for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

16 comments on March's Featured Contributor - Ed Attanasio

By Glenn T on April 02, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Oh man... I am totally with Ed's two suggestions... Especially the post-pub edit (at least allow for one)... my typos mortify me...

Dick confit.  Classic, just like Ed.

By Digidave on April 02, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Ed Rocks

And the suggestions are great.

In the meantime - anyone can always contact me with edits they want to make. Just point me to the specific story (URL) and give me specific edits (something I can cut and paste is best).

But Ariel and I will talk about this.

In the meantime - revel in all that is Ed. He is kick-butt.

By 'Mean' Mike Duffau on April 02, 2008 at 06:08 pm

ed, you are the broowaha champ! you are a real talent and should have the title belt. it is great to know you!

By Jen on April 02, 2008 at 09:03 pm

Ed...you rock!  But...if we had the edit after publication feature many of us would never have experienced the joy of "dick confit" or of spraying coffee all over your desk as you read it (the stains are still there).  In short...I just can't keep up with Ed and his prolific volume of works but they never disappoint, "dick confit" or no "dick confit".

Great choice for a featured author.

By Steven Lane on April 02, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Yes, Please, on the post edit...............

By Glenn T on April 02, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Well, maybe on the post-pub editing, there can be some sort of editorial discretion.  Say for example if someone's typo is funny enough - they have to leave it in (and just allow them a footnote)... because I'm all for it, but I might never have found out that Ed used to be a comedian if I hadn't read "dick confit"...

Also - if you completely misspell a word - e.g. "sudible" you should have to leave it... especially if it's in the midst of your less-than-favorable review.

Ed - you really need a t-shirt with "Dick Confit" on it.  If for nothing else, if there's ever a Broo California meetup - we'll know exactly who you are.

By Digidave on April 03, 2008 at 12:24 am

I wouldn't worry about that site ED: Take it from me - you write great stuff. Whoever runs that site has no talent other than snark. I'll tell you first hand, snark isn't worth its weight in dung. What you write about is informative and useful. Keep it up.

By Glenn T on April 03, 2008 at 03:27 am

Hey Ed, thanks for the heads up.  Now I know the answer to the question: does lame have a web address?

Wow, I have seen more writing/web talent out of grade-school kid.  Seriously, that's pathetic.

You're the man.

By yoko ducked on April 03, 2008 at 08:46 am

as ed's brother, i may be a little biased, but i think he's great. the only bad thing i can think of is his habit of smelling his fingers in public.

By manny osborne on April 03, 2008 at 08:08 pm
Ed, You Rock!

By Gary Schwind on April 04, 2008 at 08:12 am

Featuring Ed...now that's a no-brainer. Keep up the good work, Ed.

By vickyta on April 05, 2008 at 03:22 pm

Ed, great job

By DLFerguson on April 06, 2008 at 11:36 am

Ed IS Da man

By rjlight on April 10, 2008 at 01:39 pm

Totally agree on the edits. My typos drive me crazy. I have a few out there just to prove to everyone that I am human....ugh

By Glenn T on April 17, 2008 at 01:57 pm

Another comment from a girl in lingerie!  Way to go, Ed!  Way to go, vickyta!

Anyone care to speculate what the "ta" stands for at the end of Vicky's screen name?  J&T?  Come on, that's a softball...

By V on July 08, 2008 at 02:15 am

Prolific you are. Well deserved Ed! Late respone I know, but I'm just catching up...