Saturday, November 18, 2017

4,000 And Counting...

by Lila M. (writer), L.A., March 26, 2008

That 2004 Florida presidential election Re-count sure looks good right about now.

As the Iraq war death toll rises to a grim 4,000, one can’t help but wonder what direction are we going in? Why can’t anyone speak up and admit that this has gone too far? We all want national security, the right to protect ourselves, our country and our future as we are entitled to it. But at what cost? When do we stop listening to scare tactics and start realizing that our U.S. troops are fighting in a country where none of the 9/11 terrorists came from. The facts - 15 were from Saudi Arabia, 2 from United Arab Emirates, 1 from Egypt and 1 from Lebanon. None were from the countries we have invaded or the country we plan to invade. So when do we wake up and start questioning authority figures, war-supporting leaders and hold them accountable for these unnecessary deaths.

It seems the over 60+ million people who voted the “village idiot” into office, are also the same people who believe in this war, salivating like the dog in the Pavlovian experiment every time they hear Bush use the words “terror” and “al qaeda” in a speech, which has gone as high as 40 times. They are the same group of Bush enthusiasts (hard to believe, but they’re still out there) who feel the entire Middle East harbors terrorists, ignorant to the fact that most of these terrorists were living in and holding meetings in London, Germany, France and a list of other countries. These clueless individuals keep supporting his stance on the war as if it’s really going to rid the world of violence (insert laughter here).

The glossy reporters on CNN and Fox News report on the war, yet never ask the important questions – What happened to finding Bin Laden? What happened to completely getting rid of the Taliban in Afghanistan? And what about Pakistan who is adamant about not letting U.S. troops search its mountain regions without a fight? If that’s not a red flag pointing to where Bin Laden is hiding, I don’t know what is.

So to all those headlines that read, “Death Toll Reaches 4,000, Bush Grieves”, spare us. He will still go on his vacations at the Texas ranch, he will still make his cool earnings and have healthcare while the rest of the country suffers in debt, and he will still go down as the 43rd President.

Lets face it, it’s not going to stop with Bush and it won’t stop with McCain, who drinks from the same Bush Family cup. We all know that Presidents go down in history books for wars, not their policies. And the Bush family has definitely secured their pages in years to come. We have succumbed to a President who claims to bleed red, white and blue, yet would not dare send his own children, nieces and nephews to fight in Iraq for his beliefs. Yet, he can sacrifice the lives of countless others for a war that reeks of egotistical greed for both him and Cheney, who mind you is laughing all the way to the bank with all his secret financial gains from this war.

It seems we have all become numb to the war, going about our everyday lives trusting, cooperating and ultimately not wanting to read about it anymore or hoping it will just work itself out. We have become powerless to Politicians who wash our minds with their dirty hands, fix elections and deem anyone who questions them unpatriotic, an anarchist, or worse…the “c” word. No not that “c” word, the other one…“communist”. It seems we have lost our way. We have become afraid, confused, passive, misplaced our passion for a country that gives us convenience, security and freedom. I always say, this truly is a great country, it’s just the people running it that are ruining it. And for those that might disagree with me about this being a great country…travel a bit and you will see how convenient it is that we have things as simple as gas stations on every corner, giant supermarkets with thousands of food items in several brands, maintained highways and the freedom to contact the police anytime we feel the need to be protected.

It’s time to care again and realize that we are headed for doom if we don’t. The Taliban has regrouped back in Afghanistan and Al Qaeda is back to work training in Pakistan. In the meantime there is no plan, no strategy, no thought of how this will end. It’s time to educate ourselves and get back in the game of Politics, question our leaders to find out…Who has the plan to put us back on course? Who will really work for us? Who is going to make a change? As shrewd a game as Politics is, such a person may never exist. But we still have the power to elect them and get rid of them if they don’t perform. One of the early colonists, William Randolph, once said, “ A politician will do anything to keep his job, even become a patriot”.

Lila M. is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

16 comments on 4,000 And Counting...

By Glenn T on March 26, 2008 at 01:46 am

It's nice to see someone come out against the direction of the war and not the principle of war itself...  Well done.  So it then becomes: there probably is a war worth fighting... so why are we fighting a different one?

I also agree with El G, the right doesn't have a monopoly on leading by fear... that's for certain.  Time to stop being afraid and start asking questions.

Hope you don't wait so long to write your next one :)

By Aaron S. on March 26, 2008 at 03:04 am

Wow.

I was wondering if this article was going to say something poignant, but found it wrecked from unsubstantiated fluff. Crap. No big loss.  It's misleading when you nearly all your sentences start with 'We all know,' 'We all believe' and 'We've forgotten.' Who exactly is this we? Lila, though I am from the same stream as you (somewhat, not completely off the liberal edge) your article reads like an anti-bush Mad Lib. Mention Bin Laden here, the war in Iraq here, some spending, and publish!

For what its worth, there ARE people who speak out against the war, NGOs lobbying for better practices, senators calling for the return of the troops. Have you been following any of the news?  You'll need it if you want to make it.

By Steven Lane on March 26, 2008 at 03:30 am

Two things I totally agree with. The Taliban certainly aren't finished and Pakistan is not the friend it or our government portrays it to be.

By Lila M. on March 26, 2008 at 01:47 pm

for those of you that don't agree, that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion....but I feel it's necessary to point out the unnecessary deaths of the soldiers who fight for us and the families that have to go through it while the rest of us live in freedom.  Think about that before you judge this article too harshly.

By Lila M. on March 26, 2008 at 01:47 pm

oh and the person who said it "sucked", it's okay, I know you were 1 of the 60 million who voted you Bush - you moron.

By Lila M. on March 26, 2008 at 01:51 pm

AARON S. - to answer your question..."we" are the people.   Many of us including myself gave Bush a chance, but for the past almost 8 years it's gotten worse and worse.   So yes, I've become frustrated with the situation, we need someone to ask questions...question what the hell is next?   if anything I want people to become more involved and vote in this election because it does make difference.

By madmax427 on March 26, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Lila: Great Article! I have two comments for You. First, You were TOO Kind in descibing Bush and Cheney. I do disagree with your statement about there not being a plan for Iraq, it's just not publicly displayed and only benefits a very few.

Craig B. And after His (Cheney) heart wrenching statement he went fishing off some Yacht to 'mourn' Their sacrafice!

By sparkleB on March 28, 2008 at 02:38 am

Lila I agree with you... you should write an article on how this war was started by 4 draft dodgers - Paul Wolfowitz, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and George w. Bush...

By TBONE on March 28, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I cant wait for a new president!! Bring oral sex back to the oval office and gasoline for 1.85 a gallon.

By TBONE on March 28, 2008 at 12:03 pm

good article Lila!!

TBONE

By LKlos on March 28, 2008 at 12:04 pm

HI LILA,

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DON'T IMPEACH "BUSH", HE IS JUST COMPLETING HIS FATHER'S EVIEDETA WHICH IS BULLSHIT. DIDN'T HAVE THESE PROBLEMS WHEN CLINTON WAS PRESIDENT.

LINDA

By Lila M. on March 28, 2008 at 03:55 pm

El G -  I like your comments...always useful, tactful and intelligent.  You don't bash anyone, you just point out the differences, which is a sign of your cleverness.    I’m not on Broo to “make it” as a Journalist or be a reporter (hell no).   I like to share views with people who have a different perspective (not bash because they are too dumb to have a worthy comment).   And that is the type of comments I'm looking for, smart ones that make me think - like yours.  So thanks!

By D. E. Carson on March 29, 2008 at 07:22 pm

Do I agree with everything you said?  Of course not.  But am I a lock-step conservative?  Absolutely not.  I believe that the war in Iraq is legitimate.  What I have a problem with -- and it took going back and looking through EVERYTHING -- is that there really wasn't a clear exit stragety.  Did the president warn us that this would be a long battle?  Yes he did.  Did he tell us there would be the temptation to want to cut out early?  Yes he did.  Did he say that lives would be lost? Yes he did.  Did liberal Democrats listen to him when he said all of this?  No they did not.  They were and are still so blinded by their vitriolic hate of George W. Bush that they will stop at nothing to undermine him.  They know they can't impeach him (unlike Clinton who actually committed perjury which is a felony and qualifies as a high-crime) because he hasn't done anything that qualifies as a high crime and misdemeanor.  So liberals began playing to the heart-strings of Americans crying and whimpering and saying, "our sons and daughters are dying in a foreign country."  What if these people had said all of this during World War II where we lost over 100 times the number of soldiers we've lost in Iraq in two theatres.  Sure, that war wasn't a "home-front" war -- at least the European part wasn't but what would have happened if we hadn't backed Great Britain and ousted the Nazis out of France.  We had to fight Japan in that war because they attacked us directly.  But we had no reason to go into Europe.  What if we had taken the stand that we have no business in Europe and hadn't gone to Europe?  Remember the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics?  That union was formed shortly after World War I.  Hitler wanted to take them over just like he wanted the rest of the world.  Islamo-fascists are no different and like it or not, Saddam Hussein was one of them.  We should have had a better plan for taking out Hussein and helping establish a democratic government in Iraq, I don't dispute that.  But we need to 1) put together a plan for actually finishing the job and 2) don't tell anybody what it is so that we can surprise the insurgents and get the job done.  I will say this, half the reason we can't leave Iraq right now is because the whiny liberal media seem to think that they have the right to blab every little thing to the whole world and that nothing should be done in secret.  If that kind of attitude had been taken in 1944, Normandy would have been a slaughter of the allies and Hitler would never have been forced out of France.  If we want out of Iraq, then let the military do its job without the media watching.  Tell the media to shut the hell up, keep quiet for a while and let the military work.  Anti-war people forget that al-Qaeda has people monitoring US media outlets so they know how to counter our intelligence.  If the media would stop leaking our plans to the whole damned world, we could have been out of Iraq by now.  So Bush's biggest mistake for Iraq was transparency to the media of the military.  His second may have been the lack of a solid exit stragety.

By Lila M. on March 31, 2008 at 09:35 pm

D.E., thanks for the meaty comment and different perspective, yet I believe I also stated the strategy is lacking.

Just to clear up:  nowhere in the article do I state that we should “never have had a war”,  “not have a war” or that we should “pull out prematurely”.    I’m not going to pretend I’m a Liberal, because you’ll probably read some future article from me that will scream Conservative.   I do agree that we need to have a war - that being - the war we originally set out to first achieve (bin-laden, al-quada, afghanistan, pakistan, whatever other terror factor, etc.).

I guess I should have written a separate article on my growing dislike for Bush.  I can’t quite pin what it is, maybe it’s because of his ‘dead behind the eyes’ look, or his lack of knowledge of the English language using words like ‘misunderestimated’ and ‘hispanically’.   But I digress….So going back to your comment….I do agree with your point 1 & 2 and that there has to be 100% secrecy in achieving all of this and the whacky media has not made it easy or safe for that matter.

By D. E. Carson on April 02, 2008 at 08:14 pm

I wasn't trying to pidgeon-hole you.  I apologize if I came off that way.  I, too, sometimes sound "liberal".  My beliefs are just that, mine and I don't let the main-scream media tell me what to believe.  I get a little defensive of our soldiers all of whom died for our rights and freedoms.

I, too, have become somewhat discontent with the sitting president.  Like you, I'm not sure exactly what it is but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

By Rose Mountain on April 23, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Lila great article.

Here's why 26 countries protested last month including US nationwide protests see World Against War at http://theworldagainstwar.org see Videos by 1200 international peace leaders at World Against War Conference in London incl British Parliament member. In the US hundreds of soldiers & veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan held Winter Soldier Testimonies to tell Americans truth about US deceptive policies and ongoing brutality on citizens in Iraq and Afghanistan see soldiers videos at http://ivaw.org

Here's the link to the British BBC News investigation "Secret US Plans For Iraq Oil" that aired worldwide in 2005, except US media. Based on inside whistleblowers including former CIA and Shell Oil man and 400 pgs documents from US State Dept. Plans created within weeks of Bush in office Jan 2001 by Bush Admin, State Dept, Pentagon, Oil Companies-- plans to invade Iraq to control Iraq's oil.   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm