Apart from the fact that the size of the diamond will attract attention, the rock also conveys elite status. In this article, I will provide a comprehensive guide on what to look for when buying a 2 carat diamond.
What to Look For When Buying a 2 Carat Stone
1. Choose a diamond with at least VS2 clarity. Diamonds cut into smaller sizes such as SI1 and SI2 are very clear, but the same does not apply to larger diamonds. If you want to avoid seeing dark spots in your diamond, then opt for a VS clarity or higher.
2. Make sure you get the right cut. The quality of a diamond is the sparkle, and a carefully cut diamond sparkles brightly, and this assists in hiding inclusions and unwanted coloring. A better cut can also save you money because it enables you to get a bigger beautiful diamond with lower color marks.
Sebastian Naturski, founder of Your Diamond Teacher , advises “the cut on a 2 carat diamond is the most important part of your diamond purchase. Even if you can’t afford a $100,000 diamond, getting the right cut even on a small stone will make it sparkle, and that’s really what WOW’s people, especially your bride to be.”
3. You should opt for G or better color. The choice people make on this aspect largely depend on their preference. It is a fact; bigger diamonds are more likely to retain body color compared to smaller ones. This means that if you are sensitive to colors, you should go for stones with G color, or better colors if you want to avoid seeing traces of yellow.
4. Makes sure you purchase diamonds that are AGS or GIA graded. The gemological labs are the only ones that provide valid and consistent grading of diamonds. Sticking with diamonds graded by the two labs is the only way to avoid being ripped off.
5. Shop online. The reason why you are advised to shop for 2 carats online is because most local stores do not stock them. And if you find them in local stores, the options are very limited.
How the Size Of A 2 Carat Diamond Compares With An Average Size Diamond
The cost of a diamond increases significantly with an increase in carat weight, but the real size of the stone does not. Nevertheless, when the carat weight increases from 1 to 2 to 3, the perceived size of the diamond also increases almost in the same manner. The diameter of the diamond will increase by only 45 percent. This means that a 2 carat diamond will appear bigger than a 1 carat diamond, which is the average size, while a 3 carat diamond will look bigger compared to a 2 carat one. It is important to note that two diamonds that have the same carat weight and shape may look different in size because of the proportionality of the cut. For example, the depth conceals the total weight of a diamond that is deeply cut, and this makes the stone have a smaller diameter compared to a better cut diamond.
What People Think Of A 2 Carat Diamond
Hollywood celebrities have some of the largest rocks on earth. However, if you are seen wearing a 2 carat diamond ring, you will be put in the spotlight even if you are not a celebrity.