Monday, November 20, 2017

One Hour to Live

by Shari G (writer), West Hollywood, December 08, 2007

What would you do if you found out you only had one hour to live?

I was just watching Oprah (of course) and she had on the widow of author Richard Carlson (Don't Sweat The Small Stuff...) who just published a book that he had written shortly before his unexpected death. It was actually a letter he had written her on their anniversary entitled, One hour to live, one hour to love. In it, he spoke about all the things he would do and say if he only had one hour to live. It just got me thinking about what and to whom I would speak to and it so puts in perspective all the silly things we worry about on a day to day basis that really wont matter at the end.

What will matter or wont to you? Will checking your email, voicemail, bank account and palm pilot matter? Will calling your lawyer, doctor, accountant or job matter? Will calling the people who owe you money be on the forefront of your mind? Will wishing you were somehow less kind or generous in your lifetime be on your mind? Or will you want to just tell the people you love how you feel and know how appreciated they really are. Will you think back about how you treated others and how well you really loved?

In any case, I of course was moved and brought to tears because really at the end of the day, we are all so much more alike than we think and we all really desire the same things out of life. Just for today, perhaps focus on what really matters and be grateful for the amazing people in your life.

Okay, off my soap box. Going to finish watching Oprah.

Have a beautiful day!

Shari G is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on One Hour to Live

By Sharlene Hardin on December 08, 2007 at 04:45 pm
Shari, After going thru chemo, everyday I wake up is a chance for me to show the people I care about how much I appreciate having them in my life. Unfortunately though, there are those who don't know how to appreciate it. For those people I feel true saddness for the fact that they are missing out on even the smallest amount of love in their life. Life is too short not to try even if I'm not always successful. Good article.

By Shari G on December 08, 2007 at 05:19 pm
Thank you! I think the most beautiful thing one can do, is to always be themselves and shine their fullest light no matter if anyone returns it, feels it or simply doesn't appreciate it. It's your life and at the end of the day, the way you loved and treated others is what truly matters. I'm thrilled you live life to the fullest and share it with others.

By Steven Blake on December 08, 2007 at 05:29 pm
One Hour left to live???? Easy Strip bar..okay okay I am kidding. I would spend the time doing volunteer work....Here you go gettin all mushy on me. I would spend it telling people who have affected my life and change me for me. Like my ex-wife, i want to kick here in the jimmy. HAHA. I do hope everyone knows how I feel if I only have an hour to live. See you at the strip bar! Beer,women,and drooling. What more could I want?

By Steven Blake on December 08, 2007 at 05:33 pm
See and then I go back and read your comments and I go jeez....And I can't get my mind to open up to that option other than everyone should know. Remember little black heart. Oh and Here = her Where is the damn spell check. Ariel!!

By Shari G on December 08, 2007 at 05:35 pm
Oh Steven, what are we going to do with your little black heart? I kinda think there are shades of grey in there. ;) Strip bars arent so bad, but to spend my last hour there in drool and urine (don't ask), I'd rather spend it being all cheesy. But that's just me. :P

By Steven Blake on December 08, 2007 at 05:37 pm
This picture was taken outside the strip bar http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=20776162&albumID=0&imageID=2960979 BAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHA Little black heart! ROFL LMFAO

By C.V. Harris on December 19, 2007 at 05:46 pm
You're absolultely right! We should pay more attention to what really matters in life. People always take time to do what they "want" to do instead of what they "need" to do! Which is being mindful regarding how short our time on this earth really is and making the best of each day. Bravo on a short article with huge reprecussions...You rock!!