“A slice of cake for a smile,
For a pound of cake I’d walk a mile.
A wedge of cake I’ll give to thee,
To dunk in tea and share with me,
Or a cup of coffee if you’d rather!” A poem by V. Kahler-Anderson
Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!
Temporarily take out the middle rack from the oven, and generously butter and lightly flour 1 large fluted pan; set aside.
2 cups whole pecans, then lightly toasted and roughly chopped
8 large eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup golden-brown sugar, packed
2 cups (1-pound) softened salted butter
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
1/4 cup Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend (for cooking and baking)
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Toasted pecans from steps 2
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, on medium, cream sugars and eggs for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add the butter to the sugar/egg mixture and beat for 3 minutes.
3. Add the ricotta and vanillas and beat until well incorporated (about 1 minute).
4. With a hefty spoon or spatula stir in the buttermilk and baking powder and blend well.
5. Using hefty spoon, add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
6. Add the Parmesan cheese and pecans and incorporate well.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan
IMPORTANT NOTE: Allow the cake batter to rest (preferably 20-30 minutes) on the counter while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Working quickly place the middle rack back in the oven and place the cake pan in the center; close the oven door. Immediately turn the oven down to 325 degrees and bake cake ROUGHLY for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, OR until a wooden stick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and deep cracks are obvious on the top. Be aware that this cake is very moist so baking may take longer.
Note: If while the cakes are baking they appear to be getting darker than you want, loosely tent with foil.
Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!