Monday, October 23, 2017

'Scarface' Director Undermines War Effort in New Movie

by Chris Jones (writer), Houston, August 31, 2007

I was disappointed to read that Hollywood director Brian De Palma’s latest work is a propaganda piece, highlighting the atrocities that a handful of U.S. soldiers committed in the Iraqi town of Mahmudiyah.

It’s ironic that someone like De Palma who is best known for directing ‘Scarface’ and ‘The Untouchables’ would be an anti-war liberal, but definitely not surprising.

At a time when our country and indeed Brian De Palma’s country is at war with radical Islam, it’s just a shame that he chose to do a film about U.S. soldiers raping and murdering an entire family in Iraq. He uses videos and images taken from the across Internet and from some soldiers’ own blogs to paint the U.S. military as a murderous band of thugs.

The film called ‘Redacted‘ will mainly be shown oversees with only limited release in America. I’m sure the radical elements in the Arab world will be overjoyed at the fresh propaganda they can use from the film to boost terrorist recruitment.

I don’t object to telling what happened in Mahmudiyah, not that it would matter if I did since literally thousands of stories have been printed in every national paper and discussed on every news program. Those involved in the incident are doing anywhere from 10 years to life in a Federal prison for there despicable crimes.

What isn’t fair is to give uninformed and frankly stupid people overseas the impression that our military is nothing but a bunch of rapists and murderers.

The reality is that when you put close to 200,000 people somewhere for any length of time, your gonna have a few thugs come out of the woodwork. What that small group of soldiers did was an absolute disgrace and in my opinion they should have been hanged on the battlefield.

The bottom line is that the horrible events that took place that day in Iraq have been told over and over again, and everyone involved met with swift justice. I just wish that those who are fortunate enough to be Americans would use there right to free speech in a more responsible manner.

Whether you like President Bush or not, the United States collectively is at war meaning it’s all of our war and we should be mindful of how the things we say and do are perceived in the Arab world.

I know raping and killing a family most certainly doesn’t play well in the Arab world or any other world for that matter, but American citizens like Brian De Palma needn’t stoke the flames of Islamic extremism that is already sweeping across the Middle East and Europe.

Being critical of your country’s policies and its leaders is as American as it gets, but deliberately trying to sabotage and undermine your own country is not American at all.

Chris Jones is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on 'Scarface' Director Undermines War Effort in New Movie

By D. E. Carson on September 02, 2007 at 01:30 pm
A-MEN! You didn't find this kind of garbage coming out of Hollywood during World War II. That generation was smarter than this one.

By Charles, Jr on November 14, 2007 at 08:48 pm
I've branched out of SF Broo into reading the other Broos. Brian De Palma didn't stoke the flames of Islamic extremism that is sweeping across the Middle East and Europe. Our war mongering Pres and his rabid buddies masterfully did it themselves several years ago. And they continue to do so at the expense of America and the rest of the world.

By Chris Jones on November 14, 2007 at 11:30 pm
Are you sure you wanna branch out? San Francisco seems like the perfect place for you.

By Charles, Jr on November 15, 2007 at 12:25 am
I sure as hell do. Houston needs all the help it can get when it gets articles like this one out there.

By Chris Jones on November 15, 2007 at 02:46 am
Even if you don't agree, thanks for reading anyway

By Chris Jones on November 19, 2007 at 11:05 pm
I admit it was a bit of a low blow towards San Francisco. I like SF, but it really is the best place for someone like CJ, who's clearly suffering from a severe case of Bush Derangement Syndrome. It is safer not to discuss politics publicly, but I really enjoy having discussions. Especially, with people I disagree with. I like to try and understand why they see things the way they do.

By Steven Lane on November 19, 2007 at 11:52 pm
I find it interesting that there are two CJ's in the eye of the storm, lol.

By Chris Jones on November 20, 2007 at 12:08 am
LOL, I thought the same thing

By Ron on November 20, 2007 at 11:47 pm
I love stories. Stories interest me more than beliefs. I'd rather read you regale me with your tales than listen to you recite your dogma. That came off a Rob Brezsny horoscope. And funny enough, Ken Burns told the San Francisco Chroncile that "We are all so opinionated that we don't actully submit to narrative anymore. That's the essence of YouTube: Abbreviate everything into a digestable capsule that then becomes the conventional wisdom, which belies the experience of art." I like reading stories not opinions, so please spout fewer opinions and more stories. Thank you.

By Chris Jones on November 21, 2007 at 03:37 am