REAL STORIES
BY REAL PEOPLE Search
Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Dangers Of Asbestos In The Home & Office

by benleedavis (writer), , October 31, 2014

Credit: Wikipedia
Asbestos Removal

Most of the buildings, including school, homes, hospitals and offices constructed before 1972 were constructed with asbestos

Most of the buildings, including school, homes, hospitals and offices constructed before 1972 were constructed with asbestos. Asbestos is a natural material that was popularly used in buildings for insulations. Asbestos fibres are resistant to heat and exceptionally strong. It is commonly found in flooring, ceiling tiles and pipes.

When slightly disturbed, asbestos can be very dangerous. The asbestos fibres become airborne posing healthy risks to your family or your employees. The intact asbestos that has not been disturbed is known as non-friable asbestos, while asbestos that has been disturbed is referred to as friable asbestos.

Dangers associated with friable asbestos can be compared to smoking cigarettes- the more you smoke, the higher the risk of developing lung cancer. Similarly, the more you are exposed to asbestos, the higher the likelihood for developing asbestos related diseases. This is the major reason asbestos poisoning is referred to as occupational hazard disease.

There are three major diseases that comes with inhaling asbestos; asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma. Asbestosis is caused by inhalation of asbestos fibres which are trapped in the lungs. In response, the body will usually respond by producing acids to dissolve the fibre. The excess acid scars the lungs, and in extreme case, the lungs are unable to function. The chances of developing mesothelioma and lung cancer are significantly increased with smoking

How to identify asbestos

If you live in buildings that were constructed before 1985, it is very good to know how you can identify asbestos. Identifying asbestos can be difficult because exposure to asbestos doesn't cause fever, headache, or muscle ache. In fact, the symptoms of exposure to asbestos can go undetected for more than 15 years. Another factor that makes asbestos identification is the fact that the products that contain asbestos resemble products that may not contain it. Thus, it is very important to look for professional help.

Environmental issues such as heat, water, weathering and ageing can weaken asbestos making it friable. A building that was constructed with asbestos should not be remodelled without proper precautions. Professionals will test for asbestos and take proper measures that will keep your family safe from asbestos health risks. Repair, demolition or improper attempts to remove asbestos may have far reaching consequences. Thus, it is very important to have the building tested by a skilled and experienced asbestos inspector. The inspector will take asbestos testing to check its condition and advice on the proper measures.

Asbestos could be lodged anywhere, but mainly on the roof, vinyl floor tiles, ceiling tiles, lagging on the old pipe and boiler insulation, corrugated roofs, insulating board behind the electric meter among many other places.

Asbestos abatement

Asbestos removal requires skilled and experienced professionals. The state-of-art techniques coupled with use of latest tools and equipment ensures that the asbestos removed to the acceptable levels.

All in all, it is only through the services of skilled and experienced professional that you can remove asbestos from your home or office. With all the asbestos risks, it is very important to look for professional services to test and remove asbestos from your office or home.



About the Writer

benleedavis is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.
Want to write articles too? Sign up & become a writer!

1 comments on The Dangers Of Asbestos In The Home & Office

Log In To Vote   Score: 0
By riginal on October 31, 2014 at 11:57 am

in a Australia here i did a council course conducted for asbestos removal costing $65. As i mucked with it for 27 years it is a pain indeed. Terribly expensive here to get contractors. Have to do something bout mine as all the houses here in this town are predominately around 70's vintage. Pity they couldn't decree the makers to remove it but that's fanciful. Deadly stuff.

 Report abuse



Add A Comment!

Click here to signup or login.


Rate This Article


Your vote matters to us



x


x