Saturday, October 21, 2017

Rearranging Furniture; OC or A Happy Cure for the Blues?

Rearranging furniture is actually great therapy. But you have to try it to believe it!

Are you feeling blue? Perhaps you have nothing fun and exciting to do! It is time, then, to take a break from all the cooking and cleaning and gardening and even from reading books. Why not give your tired brain and listless spirit a perky facelift by rearranging your home’s furniture. Even just reshuffling one or two rooms should do the trick. Guarantee you’ll get a little exercise in the process too. Rearranging rooms has been known to cure the blues, because it actually contributes to your mental health and well-being.

But you have to try it, even once, to believe it.

To begin; take a comfortable position, say, from somewhere in the center of your living room, open your mind’s eyes, and moving ever so slowly take a panoramic look around—and don’t forget to look from floor to ceiling as well. Can you see the possibilities? Can you now envision a whole new look? Believe me when I say that the potential is there, no matter how small a room might be.

Try trading furniture, moving one piece—a table, a chair, a bookshelf, a lamp—from one room into another. Yes, you can break up a set! And if you really must buy something new—a vase, a painting—then, by all means do. Splurge if it makes you feel better. But allow your creativity to come through!

And just so you know, I am speaking from experience here. I have been “rearranging furniture” all my life. I picked up this happy habit from my mother, who also rearranged the rooms in her house all her life. It kept her sanity. It kept her happy. And it really has gone a long, long way in keeping my own sanity and happiness. And I’ve done it without the need to hire a decorator.

No need for therapists! Imagine the money saved?

Another plus to rearranging your furniture: it will extend the life of your floor and carpet, because they would otherwise wear unevenly. After a while you would begin to notice little stains, here and there, that by moving the furniture will cover them right up.

I understand that “rearranging furniture” can become addicting—an obsession, a fixation—enough to consider some OC (Obsessive Compulsive). Because some people pay too close attention to symmetry and minor details (objects that must be arranged perfectly and nothing out of place).

I am not one of those people, by the way.

I do not spend endless hours “rearranging.” But as I type about this favorite pastime of mine, my happy obsession, my breathing has picked up, my heart is racing, and my body and hands are shaking at merely the thought of rearranging the house again soon.

Note:Remember to always lift properly: feet shoulder width apart, lift close to your body, bend your knees and keep your back firm and straight. And never be too proud to ask for help, an extra pair of hands when needed.

Happy Rearranging!

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

Virginia Kahler-Anderson

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on Rearranging Furniture; OC or A Happy Cure for the Blues?

By riginal on August 13, 2014 at 06:54 am

intelligently,funnily, very observantly written re: the avoidance,or need of therapy when you yourself set your 'good feel' mindset juices on a flow...way to go girl!

Astute you is...

By souschef on August 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Nicely done and so very true.

It is a GREAT way to stimulate the mind!

By HomeRearedChef on August 13, 2014 at 01:03 pm

As you now know, dear Riginal, my having recently moved from a large house to a small apartment meant giving up my front and back gardens, something that kept me busy, outside, 5 to 6 days a week. Now I am fortunate and oh-so blessed that my husband had indulged me with a miniature garden of my very own. It is beautiful! It will also save my sanity.

I am not sure that living in a tiny place will allow me the luxury of "rearranging," but you know me and my determination: I will find a way when the time comes. lol!

Once again, Amigo, thank you for your cheering visits. :)

By HomeRearedChef on August 13, 2014 at 01:04 pm

Souschef, I will admit that I need to keep busy, and if not rearranging, then cooking will do the job in stimulating my mind. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on August 13, 2014 at 03:09 pm

I love moving things around too Virginia, but am somewhat limited with this smaller place....lol...I am thinking I will buy a new couch and pass this one on to one of my children or my grandson. I LOVE the spirit you write with dear lady...it is like looking inside your heart through your words...my favorite kind of writing. Awesome, as always. xoxo

By HomeRearedChef on August 13, 2014 at 06:23 pm

I have to admit, sweet Barbara, that I will sorely miss moving around my furniture, now that we live in a tiny 760 square-feet apartment. Sigh. Though hubby assures me that we can still find a way to do it. We only have to please ourselves, after all. Who cares what our few visitors think about one room not belonging where we place it. lol!

Maybe we can later swap rearranging stories. :)

By Uttam Gill on August 27, 2014 at 01:32 am

I saw how my mother took so much keen interest in re-arranging the house and that exercise is still continuing...I personally love to do so and reading your article makes me say world is so same...Virgina may help you in your re-arrangements but surely it will cost you...My fee is your delicious dishes...