Friday, October 20, 2017

Roasted Yam & Spam Salad with Maple Vinaigrette

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, August 06, 2014

Credit: Virginia Kahler-Anderson

Come; take a comfortable seat at my cozy table. Dinner is served!

Spam and yam, roasted, served over a bed of fresh greens, and drizzled with homemade maple vinaigrette. An odd combination, you may undoubtedly notice. And, well, yes, it is, but very delicious, if you like Spam that is. This salad is very distinctly salt and sweet, but the combination really works wonderfully together.

Recipe makes enough for 2 dinner servings

STEPS 1 (maple vinaigrette):

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup good quality maple syrup

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon honey mustard

Pinch of salt

Pepper to taste

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Into a blender (or using a hand-held stick blender) put all ingredients and blend until it is thick and creamy, about 1 minute. Set aside.

Note: If you are going to use the dressing right away, you don’t need to refrigerate. But do refrigerate the leftover in a tightly sealed jar, and it will keep for about 4 weeks.

STEPS 2 (roasting yams/sweet potatoes):

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Note: You can roast the yams (in its own sheet) and the onions & Spam (in their own sheet) at the same time in the oven—making use of 2 racks. This saves precious energy and time. So have ingredients for steps 2 and steps 3 chopped, tossed and ready spread in their parchment-lined baking sheets. Just remember that they will cook for different length of time.

2 cups (roughly 3/4-inch diced) yam or sweet potato (1-medium), peeled

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons brown-sugar, packed

2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

Ground chipotle powder or cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Toss all ingredients together, then spread out on the prepared baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes (tossing about halfway through cooking time, for even browning), or until potatoes are golden on the outside and tender on the inside when pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool slightly.

STEPS 3 (roasting onions & Spam):

1/2 small (red or sweet) onion (roughly 1/2-cup), peeled and chopped small

1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Pinch of salt

Pepper to taste

6 ounces Spam (1/2 of a can), diced (roughly 3/4-inch)

Toss together the first 4 ingredients (onion, olive oil, salt, pepper). Spread the onion mixture on half of a prepared baking sheet and the Spam on the other half. Bake onion and Spam in the 425 degrees preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until onions begin to golden and look translucent and Spam is just browning. Set aside to cool slightly.

STEPS 4 (assembling salad):

4 cups butter leaf lettuce (or greens of choice), measured loosely

Maple vinaigrette from steps 1

Roasted yams or sweet potatoes from steps 2

Roasted onion and Spam from steps 3

In a large bowl toss the lettuce with some of the maple vinaigrette, only just enough to lightly coat the greens (about 1/3 cup). Divide the lettuce between two dinner plates. Now divide the yam/sweet potato and onion and Spam between both plates, and drizzle more maple vinaigrette if you so choose.

Serve this salad with a crisp white wine (to cleanse the palate from every bite of savory & sweet), such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, and enjoy!

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

Virginia Kahler-Anderson

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Roasted Yam & Spam Salad with Maple Vinaigrette

By souschef on August 06, 2014 at 01:50 pm

Looking at the picture started the salivating and then reading the recipe almost made me drool. The sweet, savory, tart, salty mixture is very enticing.

Do I have any Spam around here?

By Barbara MacDonald on August 06, 2014 at 03:09 pm

I will make the (maple vinaigrette): no doubt about that..just not sure about spam...never have liked it....I am a bit of a picky eater, not as adventurous as you my friend...I am probably missing some good things I know. :>)

By HomeRearedChef on August 06, 2014 at 03:23 pm

Dear Souschef, if you don't have Spam in the pantry, you must run out to get some. lol! I am a big fan of Spam, and, of course, an even bigger fan of maple, so these two are absolutely luscious when paired with yam (or sweet potato).

Like I said, if you like Spam, this is a must try! :)

By HomeRearedChef on August 06, 2014 at 03:26 pm

Lol! Amiga Barbara, my family often comment how Bob and I have always been very adventurous where trying food is concerned. And why not? I won't know that I like it if I don't try it. :) Hugs to you, dear friend!

By riginal on August 06, 2014 at 08:03 pm

can't digest the web spam but yours sounds great yum mum.Puts my two minute noodles to shame, but i'm a novice who burns the bum out of water but i'll imagine i'm eating your fare and if you see your fork stand upright and dig in its me imagining a morsel from your arsenal of cooking prowess my friend:>)

By HomeRearedChef on August 07, 2014 at 12:04 am

Riginal, your visits are always such a delight to read. Thank you for always making my days, and my posts elevated by a couple of notches! Hugs....

By riginal on August 07, 2014 at 08:24 am

HRC have you a sister, don't care if she's not as good looking as you as long as she can do something with 2 minute noodles? Went to the supermarket the other night,bought what i thought was two litres of milk,(i don't read labels and it was white) next morning i poured full cream on my weetbix, had a piece of suspicious looking toast with green specks in it, a reasonably fit already dipped 6 times tea bag, bit of full cream. Yum! I'm working on an edible cookbook,tossed (mainly in the bin) salads and brusell sprouts frigasee (frigin' see?) mixed with virgin baked beans from 'been there' paddock, plus a bruised apple turnover (if you turn them over you can't see the bruise) plus a multi vitamIn tablet and a previously chewed carrot. And a howl from the dog next door that acts like a smoke alarm to warn of seriously disturbed cooking. Funny thing, after he licks the plate clean he sleeps all weekend,not one bark out of him. I must be a dog whisperer? :>)

By HomeRearedChef on August 07, 2014 at 11:15 am

LOL! Amigo Riginal, I don't know if I should laugh or cry at your shopping and cooking, but if the dog doesn't seem to mind what he eats, well...?!

I have two sisters, both younger than me, and both are very attractice (and I am not just saying that because I love them). One is married and the other is single. The single sister is a writer, and a real bookworm, and loves to travel. Maybe the traveling and not loving the idea of a man telling her what to do is why she is still single. lol!

By the way, today I am creating and writing a new recipe for dinner tonight, (a Mexican corn tortillas layered beef casserole, and hopefully very spicy!), and if it proves delicious I will share it here on BrooWaha!

By riginal on August 11, 2014 at 10:54 am

all sounds delicious to me...what a talented family. Nearly burnt the reno down the other day, i put two eggs in a pot ah la charred boiling water. At breasfast time. Mate comes round to help me pick up a lounge suite i happened pon. Was going to have one beer,decided to go home. All the alarms smoking. One badly burnt egg in pot, couldn't find the other? The dill that polished the hallway tipped the dust into the plastic garbage bin outside which spontaneously decided to catch fire (in sympathy with the house?) didn't believe in combustion but there it smoldered. This is the funny part. Tonight i found the exploded egg behind the bread bin! We do these sort of things in Australia. Part of our culture. Happy go lucky egging on and off...but you can't make a habit out of it. Was lucky pot had heavy base. There is a forgiving cooking God but i reckon he's getting sick of me. My mate reckons it would have been better if the place burnt down. But then the neighbors would talk behind your back and i hate that. If you've got something to say don't say it behind my burnt backyard. Come right out with it and give me a spray...and while they're about it...chuck some on the house! Hope you're keeping a diary V because writer sis and we are waiting for you to set the cooking genre on fire. I bought a HOT chilli pepper cheese by mistake the other day. Nearly burnt my mouth out. I never read labels...what for? Incidently, i bought a six pack of 'storm' brewed beer for $6.75. Tasted like cat's urinate. Bring on the home brew girl. Would have been ok to put a fire out i guess. :>)

By HomeRearedChef on August 13, 2014 at 12:55 pm

LOL! Riginal, you are funny and delightful to read, whether it is a post or a comment. It is such an honor to have your visits. Somtimes I feel stumped as to what to say in response. Sorry! But you seem to have no problems expressing, or repressing words. :)

By the way, I LOVE jalapeño and chipotle chilis added to cheeses. I like eating hot! And chiles are good for you, too.