Sunday, December 17, 2017

Would You Give Up Your Last Morsel Or Last Swig Of Drink?

Covet not thy neighbor’s plate, or their last bite of food or last swig of drink!

Would you give up your last morsel, that last delicious bite of food or very last drop of drink if someone asked it of you? So many people wouldn’t. But I would. And I have! Ask anyone that knows me, and they will tell you that without a moment’s hesitation I’d give up my last swig, saved just for down-the-hatch with that last delicious bite. And I’ll even give it to you with a smile. But that doesn’t mean I won’t yearn and mourn and drool for it. I do. I have. But I’d do it again and again!

Let’s face it, quite often we are taking our sweet time eating, chewing slow and cherishing every moment to the fullest, every delectable forkful, because God knows when you may eat or drink this again.

Though there are many people just like me, the Sharers, the Givers, I know of just as many that are just the opposite. They would never relinquish their last bite or last guzzle. Nah-ah! They don’t share. They are the Non-Sharers: the hoarders, the greedy…the selfish. I’ve even seen these non-sharers threaten their neighbor at the table with their fork; threaten to stab anyone that dares to even take a closer peeksie at their plate of food.

So take care, o’ ye that covet thy neighbor’s plate with that last bite of food or last swig of drink! The non-sharers look at that last bite or last gulp of drink as their Last Rights Meal or Holy Chalice.

Once, while hosting dinner in our home, my husband’s sister received a serious threat from her husband at the table. They were enjoying a first-time, ever, bowls of garlicky Cuban black beans with melt-in-your-mouth tender pork over Salvadorian fried rice. Let’s just say, if looks or a bark alone could kill, I would have witnessed a first-time murder at my home’s dinner table.

Another time, at the table, my younger brother who always finished his food with the speed of there is no tomorrow, dared to fork into our younger brother’s plate and received the sharp sting of a fork. In all fairness, he’d been previously warned.

Not long ago, unbeknownst to me, I was put to the test by my own children. While I enjoyed a most delicious homemade sandwich, obviously nibbling the remainder towards the end, and enrapt in conversation with my husband, my oldest daughter interrupted with, Excuse me, mama, can I have that? She asked for my last bite of food, my very last nibble of sandwich, en-route to my mouth, and just as this last bit was ready to touch my lips. I didn’t hesitate. I simply said, “Of course, honey!”

I’d heard the request, turned to look at my daughter, at the same time relinquishing that last morsel into her hands.

She didn’t take it, after all, she pushed it back into my hand; and then I heard obvious laughter from around the table. She then said, “See, I told you guys she’d give it up!”

My daughter and family looking on were proud of me, to say the least.

My children know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this mother would never, ever deny her children crumbs from her plate, or her last gulp of drink!

“What a joyous treat, I now receive love complete, A circle made full.”

A Haiku (by vka)

Virginia Kahler-Anderson

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

9 comments on Would You Give Up Your Last Morsel Or Last Swig Of Drink?

By riginal on July 30, 2014 at 09:08 pm

V i could say you is the salt of the earth.But having said that i bet you'd give up that salt and pepper the neighbors with it if asked... friends, and perhaps a stray stranger? You are a breath of fresh sandwich...umm...air.You've already shared your heart,what a delightful post.

By HomeRearedChef on July 30, 2014 at 09:19 pm

OH, dear amigo Riginal, you have added to may already delicious evening (of corn on the cob~slathere with mayo and parmesan~and kielbasa) with your compliment. Thank you!

I'd offer you a last corn from the pot but, alas, I ate the last one. Trust me when I tell you it was really good. :)

Thank you for your faithful visits, you are TRULY appreciated!

By HomeRearedChef on July 30, 2014 at 09:21 pm

Please note, dear Riginal, I displayed "fat fingers" again in my previous comment. Sorry!

By Barbara MacDonald on July 31, 2014 at 10:31 am

I agree mi amiga, I too would give my last bite to others if they needed it more than I did. Maybe it is the motherly instinct to protect and feed others...Or in my case the Italian in me which thinks that "food is love" and thus we love cooking with a dose of "amour" thrown in...My one daughter hates for anyone to touch any of her food or even take a sip from her drink....(a bit OCD) ...She was not like this as a child but came back after many years of being married and living in Austria with some new Phobias...She is slowly getting back to normal, thankfully.

And I agree with Riginal, I think you would feed the world if you could sweet friend... hugs

By HomeRearedChef on July 31, 2014 at 11:16 am

Ooh, another Giver, then I am really glad to know you, Amiga! There really aren't that many of us, you know? You'd be surprised what I have encountered with people. LOL! And I love knowing you have Italian in you. My youngest daughter is married to a first generation Italian-American, and she didn't have to go to Italy to find one. She always said she would marry an Italian.

Out of curiosity, I must ask: Do you have any old Italian recipes? You already know I LOVE to cook! :) Mucho hugs...

By Barbara MacDonald on July 31, 2014 at 11:26 am

Quite a few Virginia..most of them just live in my head....I seem to cook instinctively too... It feels like I make love to the food when I cook...reminds me of the movie Like Water For Chocolate .... <3 <3 <3

By Barbara MacDonald on July 31, 2014 at 11:27 am

By Barbara MacDonald on July 31, 2014 at 11:28 am

was trying to post the image, it would not let me...sorry...

By HomeRearedChef on July 31, 2014 at 11:58 am

Oh, Barbara, it seems I have found a kindred spirit in you. I love that you can say, "..make love to food..." that is just how I feel when I cookup something wonderfully woderlicious!! :)