Tuesday, November 21, 2017

An Un-Educated Nation

Credit: yth.org
A generation lost

America's youth, and its adults are in desperate need of being politically, socially, and culturally educated.

More than ever, I fear for our nation’s youth. I’m not referring to their health and well-being so much (although that’s a huge problem) as I am their knowledge and facts about our country and other countries status; politically, socially and economically. Why, you may ask? Let me start off by giving an example:

I spoke with a young lady recently (probably late teens) while sitting in the lobby of an automotive center. We were both waiting on our cars being serviced. A television was communicating along the wall in the room, the news was on and current headlines were being shown. Among them were the crisis along the border, terrorist’s movements in Iraq, and hearings on Capitol Hill concerning the IRS’ lost emails situation. Her fingers were flying atop her cell phones keyboard, pausing only occasionally to look at the television. The room was crowded so we sat merely inches apart. I also noticed she wore a college T-shirt displaying one of our state’s universities which happened to be where one of my nephews is attending. Eventually, the texting stopped and she asked me to hand her a magazine on a table. As I did, I asked as I referenced her shirt, “Are you going there now?”

“In the fall, can’t wait.”

“Good school, I’m sure you’ll learn a lot.”

“I guess,” without much excitement.

The television turned to the situation along the border. “So, what do you think about what’s going on down there?”

She looked up, shrugging her shoulders slightly. “I don’t really care, doesn’t concern me much.”

“Really?” I said.

The television went back to showing images of rockets being fired and people killed in, Iraq. Pointing at the screen, “And what about the Middle East? Any thoughts on that?”

“Umm, that’s way over there. I’m sure our military can handle it.”

“Our military isn’t there anymore, they pulled out.”

“Really? Hmm, didn’t know that,” her cell phone chirping with incoming texts.

I couldn’t resist. “What do you think about our current President?”

“Who, Obama?”

“Yes, that’s the one.”

“Used to like him but don’t much anymore. I think he’ll probably get voted out the next time around.”

Perplexed and stunned, “Umm, he can’t serve again he’s on his second term.”

“Really, oh that’s good.”

“You didn’t know that the President can only be in office a maximum of two terms.”

“Not really, sorry.”

“How about Governors, Senators, Congressman. How long can they serve?”

“Umm… two terms?”

“Okay, any idea how much our nation is in debt, how hard it is to get a new job these days, or how high groceries and other stuff is compared to say, ten years ago?”

“I really don’t pay that much attention. Our country’s debt? Hmm, a few million?”

“I have to ask, what country bombed us at Pearl Harbor?”

Wrinkling her brow and giving it some thought, “The Germans?”

“I noticed you really like your cell phone, do you ever read much?”

“Nay, I don’t have that much time to read.”

I looked around and noticed other adults in the room, nodding their heads in disbelief, not believing the young lady’s answers.

About this time an attendant announced my car was ready. I said goodbye, and told her good luck in school. Of course, seconds later as I was walking out her attention was absorbed inside her keyboard, laughing and texting away. So much for not having time to read.

I’ve witnessed many other examples the past months and years of uneducated youth not knowing basic information about our government, international events, and criminal statistics. They’ve been lost inside a world filled with cell phones, I-pads, and a pop culture where Jay-Z, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus rule-- a casual belief that our country is untouchable and cannot fail despite staggering debt and threats from overseas—an immersion in a society that’s unaccountable for their actions regardless of what they smoke, which brand they drink, who they vote for, and what God they worship, biblical or not--a future and country where our basic freedoms, landscape, culture, and American way-of-life is being challenged and dictated too by lawless politics and biased entertainment and media outlets. Times are definitely changing.

Aside from our country’s youth, ethnic differences play a large part in political, social, and cultural awareness. Where a person comes from and what race they’re born into more often than not determines how they believe, who they vote for, and people they’re comfortable around. We’re all on this world together, breathe the same air, and have virtually the same needs. Unfortunately, so many are victims of heritage and turn their backs on seeing the world differently from what their DNA taught them. They were raised a certain way during their upbringing, and that’s what they’re sticking with rather than seeing different sides of the equation.

I’ve been friends with people of all races: Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. And you can learn much from all of these and teach them as well. But, it all starts with opening minds and educating each other to new possibilities.

One of my good friends is African-American. She and I have been friends for several years and used to work together which is where we met. We meet periodically, really enjoy each others company, and love to solve the problems of the world since both of us have interests in current events. What’s interesting about our relationship is in the beginning we were polar opposites when it came to politics and culture. I’d express my side and she’d give me hers. But, a funny thing happened as our friendship and conversations evolved, we started meeting in the middle rather than staying entrenched. We began educating each other with facts and figures as to why be believed the way we did. Now, we’ll never agree on many things completely, but being able to shed light on the very basics has increased our knowledge and personal education. However, it would’ve never happened without being open and having a willingness to learn.

I’ve been working on a new novel for a while, due out later this year. It’s the story of a man who, most of the time, lived isolated from the rest of society thanks to his upbringing and heritage. He saw the world mostly black-and-white and without much grey. However, thanks to some incredible luck, the love of new relationships, and a mind rescued from obscurity he becomes a new person seeing things differently. What follows is a life lived beyond his dreams and it reflects upon the subject of this article.

I hope for our nation’s sake, both our adults and youth learn to educate each other and stand together. Our country desperately needs this and our future depends on it.

Thanks for listening…

Randy Mitchell is a blogger on lifestyle, writing and relationship topics and is a published author of inspirational romance. His first novel "Sons In The Clouds" is available in paperback on Amazon. To read more about Randy, visit www.theinspirationalwriter.com.

9 comments on An Un-Educated Nation

By dchaitanya on July 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Situation of youth is same all over the world. If your title is correct, it applies to our nation also.

By Mary Fernando on July 16, 2014 at 03:31 am
This scholar combination has benefits and drawbacks, which often most ought to be organized, ahead of a graduate student can sign the offer. Commonly graduates turn out to be sick to be able to manage the countless loans and shell out effortless. Continue on reading through! My Essay writer Assignment

By riginal on July 16, 2014 at 07:17 am

Randy nice post. Have to agree with Dchaitanya. Quite frankly i'm sick of reading about student loan 'sickness' etc. Baby boomers post war worked their guts out for the majority of their lives possibly and more often than not in crappy jobs to start a new life from far flung countries in a supreme effort to make the best of what they had to enable their kids to be afforded the opportunity to have the access to a higher education so that they could perhaps (tongue in cheeky) sit next to an intelligent person waiting for his car to be fixed, asking intelligent questions of a student (probably warned not to talk to intelligent strangers for fear they might incite a 'light bulb' moment of studious student comprehension?). Firstly, their parents didn't bitch and moan as much as their kids appear to moan via their mobile gizmos. That then begs the question of up and coming new generators of generation xyz. When's the last time you sat at the family table and had a heart- to- heart respectful conversation with your 'awful' "we didn't ask to be born" old farts? Without getting gravy in your mobile? Sure! everybody must have an I.T. job. They have to to earn enough to pay a humble mechanic big bucks? "More gravy mum...dad, i'm so so tired of listening to your "back in my days"..."you're part of MY daze now daddy,just pass the bucks, shut up, and show us new generation thingy's a bit of of...this awful man asked me today what i thought of thingy's in the world. How would i know? I'm not responsible for every Tom Dick and Harry in politics. Speaking of Dick i must ring Tom and Harry and see if they've heard of Dick Cheney,some political person thingy. Dad! don't treat us xy...DAD!!! you're nodding off! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Mum! i'm so over dad! Mum if Dick rings could you tell him i'm so over him? While dad's asleep mum could you do that Houdini thingy with his wallet...you know, the one that undoes the locks and zips stopping me from drowning in a sea of education. MUM! you've spilt gravy on my tablet! I'm so over you two. Sometimes i think i should just walk right out the front door and get an education...so so over everything! Specially in my present daze. Just can't come two terms. I think that's as long as a President and dad can last isn't it mother? That's what that talkative chap said. MOTHER! you've dropped my mobile in dad's mouth! Talk about silly! So over today's parents!...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

By Randy Mitchell on July 17, 2014 at 05:16 pm

Thank you for all the comments here. I'm sure that the youth of all nations is dealing with this problem. Riginal, you're right, kids today have no idea the sacrifices their parents and grandparents made for the benefits they enjoy. Thanks.

By HomeRearedChef on August 07, 2014 at 02:44 pm

Randy, back when I was in school, so many centuries ago, my most hated subjects were History and Social Science...and I always got a perdect D in class. Nothing to laugh at, mind you. But as an adult I have come to relish a good conversation, always with my husband and my father (who's now passed), both who are well educated, and I have actually learned much from them. For them I am grateful!

I, too, have had the opportunity to listen to our youth talk, and we should have reason to worry. Their interest, as you have pointed out, is more on the modern gadgets and television. But I can tell you that we are making changes with our young at home. It really does begin with Home.

Thank you for a very informative post.

Virginia

By JohnMiller on August 27, 2014 at 01:28 am

you've spilt sauce on my tablet! I'm so over both of you. Once in a while i think i ought to simply walk right out the front entryway and get a training my assignment

By Alice Scarlet on February 14, 2015 at 01:36 am

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author. uk assignment writer

uk assignment writer

By stevemathew on July 01, 2015 at 11:52 pm

hey your blog is great and thanks for sharing wonder ful information keep update in future posting.

I Need Help With Assignments Online

By williamjack779 on September 08, 2015 at 05:29 am

The author has kept the nice topic of this articles and i am also agree with Assassins Creed Unity Coat the author, youngster should be educated for politics and social needs so that they should be aware about these things.