Sunday, November 19, 2017

Taking Responsibility For What We Do As A Nation

by Steven Blake (writer), Winnetka, July 10, 2007

**For what I am about to say I only ask that you to give this point of view a thought with an open mind**

I understand that a great part of our nation is leaning towards bringing our troops home. I respect, understand, and appreciate that. Nothing would make me happier in my mind than to have all of our families out of harm’s way. We as a nation decided to go into Iraq and take Saddam out of power. As a nation, remember that phrase. We also have a responsibility as a nation to help get Iraq on its feet. As a nation we went in there and caused this destruction and turmoil and in my mind we need to clean it up. Whether you believe we went for the wrong reasons or for the right reasons, we did all agree to go as a nation. Don’t you remember being told to clean up after yourselves? I was raised to take responsibility for the actions you have done.

Now in understanding why everyone wants the troops to come home can you tell me the last good thing you heard out of Iraq in the media recently? I am going to challenge your minds and ask you why is that? Did you just answer the simple answer because nothing good is happening over there? Or did you say because that is what sells newspapers. If you answer with the first one, shame on you! You have just said our 3,606 troops have died for nothing? I for one refuse to believe that. As a nation we are trying to help rebuild this nation and make it a better place for the people. We are training their security forces and police. We are giving time to the new government to sit down and work out the different issues between different factions. It is going to take time. There is a lot of deep seeded anger over there against each other and us as well. But I am so tired of hearing the media only talk about the bad things that happen there or anywhere really for that matter. Even though I understand it is what makes them money and keeps people interested I wish they would be a little bit more even sided about the whole situation

Now let us talk about everyone saying we have had 3.606 troops killed over there and many more injured. People are saying the loss of life is too great. Let me help you out on this one ANY loss of life is too great! But we are going to have some in war and I want to start by saying it is tragic every life lost and every family affected by this I am sorry. But I believe they have died for what we as a nation decided to do and to walk away now would detrimental. We have made a commitment to these people when we toppled the old government. We have been over in Iraq for over four years now and which works out to about 902 troops killed a year. The Vietnam War was fourteen years from our start to finish and claimed 58,193 troops. That works out to 4,157 troops a year. That’s a major difference for newspapers to be sitting here comparing these two wars. Just a little side note also in World War II we were in the war for four years and we lost an average of 101,825 troops in a year. Now to be fair the Gulf War by Senior Bush had an astonishing low loss of life. For the entire war we lost a total of 383 troops in that war. But again any loss of life is sad and tragic; but I don’t think we are doing too badly in comparison to Vietnam.

I thought that was a crazy figure so I wanted to understand why it was so successful with such a low loss of life. Two reasons came to me in my research. One, the war last seven months, but that is still a better average than the Iraq war. And the second was because of the pure amount of troops sent over there. The Coalition was over 767,000 strong and Americans had 575,000 over there. In this Iraq war we started off with a total 300,000 troops and are currently at 175,000. They had four times the troops we have over there right now. There is something to be said for overwhelming an enemy and why I believe Bush is trying to get more troops over there.

I feel that our nation is changing and a lot of the younger generations are saying, “I had a bad up bringing that why I act the way I do” or the “Mom and Dad will get me out of this one”. We need to be responsible; to me us turning away from Iraq at this point is as bad as having a kid and down the road when they are four or five years old you decide you dont want to deal with them anymore and pitch them out on the street. Who would do that? I want anyone to tell me thats okay. I also remember growing up and being asked who put their gum in the carpet and everyone went I don’t know. Well that was the beginning of a spanking session for all four of the children until someone admitted to it. My Brother finally took responsibility after a period of time. It also taught us that there is a consequence for not taking responsibility like my brother, sister, and I were not happy campers at him and he had to do a lot make up what he put us through.

I truly with all my heart believe that we need to stay and live up to our agreements and our decisions. We have destroyed Iraq twice and the last time we walked away from the people and I feel that our politicians should be responsible for what they have done and that is destroyed a nation and put it on the brink of civil war. As a nation we need to stand together do our best to live by good morals and be responsible for what we have done and make a better tomorrow. To all the troops in harm's way stay safe and come home safe.

References Cited:
1. Wikipedia
2. Iraq Coalition Causality Count
3. GlobalSecurity.org

Steven Blake is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

26 comments on Taking Responsibility For What We Do As A Nation

By Steven Blake on July 10, 2007 at 10:01 pm
Okay Lets discuss, First off-What I feel about the war is beside the point. We are there! And we need to fix it. Secondly you are correct in the fact that I only pulled out death tolls. That is one of the reason for puliing out right now. The death tolls are too high. my poiint was it doesn't matter if there are two deaths it will always be two more than ever should of happened. Now in your debate question you bring up things that we can not change what is there to debate?? How we can't go back and change the mistakes we have made???? Come on Joe you are a very smart guy we can't live in the past we must think about tomorrow and what we can do to correct what has been wronged. You know how I feel about what has happened so far(through my drunken nights with you). I am talking about building a tomorrow and that tomorrow will include Iraq.

By Steven Lane on July 10, 2007 at 11:52 pm
People can argue all they want, the realism is that we should have never been there, but we are. So, while I, like a lot of people, were willing to back this "fight" until there was a "resolution". Today, the only guaranteed "resolution" is civil war, and I don't care if we put in 500,000 troops, the Iraqi's are determined to practice wide scale genocide. And we are just puppets. We can't win this. The rest of the world has to laughing at our stupidity and Iran and other fundamentalists are just licking their chops waiting for us to fail and leave. Sorry, I just can't justify a another single US death for a lost, badly planned, exercise in stupidity. If that makes me a "Bleeding heart liberal", so be it. This is not the World Poker Tour, there is no "all In" bet. Very nice article.

By D. E. Carson on July 11, 2007 at 01:17 am
Steven Lane, you apparently didn't read the article. You said yourself that Iran is just waiting for us to pack up and leave. Just today Bush said that al-Qaeda has specifically stated that it is waiting until we leave to give them a safe-haven in Iraq. I don't know about you, but I just can't stand the thought of shit-for-brains terrorists coming over here and blowing up people just because we happen to believe theirs is not the religion of peace they claim. Steven Blake: Good article. You and I agree here. It's nice to see I'm not the only one screaming from this side of the fence.

By Steven Blake on July 11, 2007 at 12:15 pm
Steven I understand your feelings on this and they are more than reasonable, but those are the exact reasons I feel we cannot leave. We did this to this country and I for one feel we have responsiblity live up to what we have done. D E -- Cheers but I am more of the middle guy, I have view poinnts on both sides of the fence. I feel a third party should be formed at this point. El G--- Were you drinking last night? LOL I understand what you mean and I wish we wouldn't but you know sometimes it happens and we are forced to and other times you do it for the wrong reason and you realize you were the bad guy and you have to stay to make it right. Does that make sense? Maybe I should have a drink.

By D. E. Carson on July 11, 2007 at 04:22 pm
El G: what the hell were you smokin', dude? You can't possibly believe that garbage, can you???

By Steven Blake on July 11, 2007 at 08:18 pm
LOL!

By Steven Blake on July 11, 2007 at 09:48 pm
I am disappointed someone marked this article as low as possible but then wasn't able stand up and say anything or say who they were. I wrote to hear what people thought. You don't have to agree with me, I just am trying to feel how other people feel about it. We hear what the media says and we hear what the politicians say. I wanted to hear what the people think. And when you mark an article like this with all ones, I obviously struck a nerve so it has to be some interest to you. Disappointing! Interest: 1 Writing: 1 Analysis: 1 Fairness: 1

By Steven Lane on July 11, 2007 at 11:18 pm
Steve, that sucks, especially when they don't have the balls to say who they are...it seems a lot of this is going around. EL G------lol

By Steven Blake on July 12, 2007 at 02:38 pm
Yeah I welcome all opinions but stand up and if you want to voice your opinion be a strong enough person to stand behind it. The Anonymous stuff has gotta go.

By Charles Harmison on July 13, 2007 at 01:38 pm
I know a little about the mysterious ones as well. Only for me they are not so mysterious anymore. What i find amazing is that every time mister G makes a comment there is someone there to vote it up to a +3 or +2 every time. Ariel is constantly trying to program ways to counteract against these forms of cheating the ratings. There is a karma rule in place against those voters that habitually vote abusively for instance. But given the number of comments that G votes up with his multiple user accounts it is no wonder that he has the second position. Each comment vote gives you a ratings bump of 2 points. So if you didn't have a life like him you could just make tons of comments all over everyone's articles then simply log in 2 or 3 more accounts and vote all your comments up. It would take a couple hours but at least you can give yourself the illusion that you are any good at writing. Also while your at it, vote down all the comments of the people you don't like not to mention their articles themselves. This will keep them down because of the status you have attained through your own self-comment voting. If you didn't have this much time to waste on manipulating this site or if you considered this to be a pointless way to spend your life, i wouldn't pay too much attention to the voting anymore.

By Charles Harmison on July 13, 2007 at 09:50 pm
I did not, nor do i ever vote with multiple accounts. I did not vote on this article as of yet so the one vote was not me. You are not going to convince people that i have done what you do constantly no matter how many times you say it. The proof that your guilty lies in the fact that every one of your comments jumps to +3 immediately after you leave it, that is of course excepting this one above since you know everyone is watching you now. Interesting how quickly you use the term terrorist when referring to behavior that you practice in the shadows, monkey see monkey do huh? You must have taken lessons from your heroes Bush/Chaney. Though i disagree with much of what is said in the above article i intended to give it an average rating because at least it asks the reader to think a little while reading it. I would be happy to discuss the issues raised, with you Steven as you have definitaely failed to include some key factors regarding this war and the cause and effects of its continuation. For example i propose that it was never the intention to end the Iraq war quickly, the longer we fight, the more money flows into the pockets of those who have wanted this war for decades. Finally, El G, I vote your articles poor because they are poor, close minded, opinionated drivel, without even a shred of an attempt to be objective or intelligent. I respect anyone's opinion as long as it is fair and intelligent, even if i don't agree. Yours is neither. My name is charles, El g, refer to me by that name only.

By Charles Harmison on July 13, 2007 at 11:38 pm
i told you to call me charles and you did not, u have been reported as abusive. this is of course the least of your offenses to me and to this site. Since you joined EL this site has steadily gotten worse, and has steadily had less viewers instead of more as was before you filth graced our pages. Before you El this site was a respectable online paper, now it is becoming more and more like a blog or message board site.

By Steven Blake on July 14, 2007 at 04:49 am
Charles I am more than willing to discuss this with you but to accuse someone like the president of killing his own people for him to make money is a very serious offense. Be ready to respond to it

By Charles Harmison on July 14, 2007 at 06:48 pm
i am perfectly willing to respond steven. have you heard of operation northwoods if not google it or wiki it. For Bush and his cronies, the desire to invade Iraq was the single most important agenda. Another thing i recommend you read up on is The PNAC literature, again google or wiki project for a new american century. The evidence is all right there in their own lit.

By Steven Blake on July 15, 2007 at 02:09 am
Yes it is easy to take someones thought and decide they are facts. That does not mean they are facts. Northwoods is about cuba(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods) and your PNAC ltierature is nothing more than a theory and thought; you accused the president of the United States of America of killing his soldiers for his own profit please have proof before you speak as I brought hard facts to the table you brought nothing more than heresay

By Steven Blake on July 15, 2007 at 02:14 am
And for future reference, I would rather you just tell us the facts and then cite your sources. I and anyone else can find out from that if its a bunch of talk or hard set facts. You are speaking half truths; that would be a blog and a feeling.

By Steven Blake on July 15, 2007 at 02:19 am
In his new exposé of the National Security Agency entitled Body of Secrets, author James Bamford highlights a set of proposals on Cuba by the Joint Chiefs of Staff codenamed OPERATION NORTHWOODS. This document, titled "Justification for U.S. Military Intervention in Cuba" was provided by the JCS to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara on March 13, 1962, as the key component of Northwoods. Written in response to a request from the Chief of the Cuba Project, Col. Edward Lansdale, the Top Secret memorandum describes U.S. plans to covertly engineer various pretexts that would justify a U.S. invasion of Cuba. These proposals -- part of a secret anti-Castro program known as Operation Mongoose -- included staging the assassinations of Cubans living in the United States, developing a fake "Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington," including "sink[ing] a boatload of Cuban refugees (real or simulated)," faking a Cuban airforce attack on a civilian jetliner, and concocting a "Remember the Maine" incident by blowing up a U.S. ship in Cuban waters and then blaming the incident on Cuban sabotage. Bamford himself writes that Operation Northwoods "may be the most corrupt plan ever created by the U.S. government." This is from ratical.org notice the name of the website outside of the paragraph

By Charles Harmison on July 15, 2007 at 11:25 am
My intention by bringing up the Operation Northwoods was first off to show that it is naive to think that the President was incapable of killing his own citizens for strategic, and/or any other gain. Of course I know that this plan was against Cuba, but that doesn't mean that another one wasn't drafted for Iraq. Throughout history the justification for war provided usually by a high profile incident is in almost every case traceable back to a planned tragedy. The sinking of the Lusitania for instance cost over 1000 lives and it is obvious that the govt. packed a passenger freighter with munitions and purposefully sent it into German Uboat patrolled waters. After it sunk the next day one million americans enlisted in the army. Another example was the Gulf of Tonkin incident, which all evidence now suggests, never even occurred, but at the time it nonetheless provided the necessary justification for invading Vietnam. The standard operating procedure for US invasion into another country is to create an incident to justify the invasion. If we didn't we would come off as the aggressor which is of course not the American image that we want. Of course i don't have direct proof that Bush/Chaney did this once again to invade the mideast. If i did i would either be dead or whisked away to a secret prison somewhere and declared an enemy combatant. I do have the proof that nearly everyone in the Bush staff including Rumsfield, Chaney, Libby, Bolton, Wolfowitz and many more, are signatories of the PNAC and the PNAC has been trying to justify a second invasion of Iraq long before 9/11/2001. They want nothing less than American Hegemony of the world. It is in their own mission statements. The PNAC is a very real group with very real agendas, and it is membered by nearly everyone in the Bush staff. This organization has seized control of the country with a false victory in 2000. Surely it is worth more of a look than a quick dismissal by you Steven.

By Charles Harmison on July 15, 2007 at 11:36 am
my sources include http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/snpwwi2.htm http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5547481422995115331 http://www.newamericancentury.org/

By Charles Harmison on July 15, 2007 at 12:11 pm
Another organization that i suggest you look into is called The Carlyle Group. This is one of the largest weapons manufacturers and was connected to the Bin Laden family through George H. W. Bush. It certainly had a lot of money to gain for its investors with the record increases in military spending that has occurred since Lil' Bush took office. Do you really think that people who want profits of billions of dollars care about 7-8 thousand american deaths. I ask you, since when?

By Steven Blake on July 15, 2007 at 02:41 pm
Way to mark down the article again! Just proving G's point. Secondly you are making assumptions still and playing connect the dot.

By Charles Harmison on July 15, 2007 at 03:26 pm
what r u talking about i finally voted and it wasn't a one. i told u what i voted. When does the very real truth stop being an assumption and start being a fact? When you and El G agree with it?

By Steven Blake on July 16, 2007 at 11:49 am
So wait your telling me your resources are an article from WWII, a movie on you tube, the PNAC website and wiki is your proff? Wiki said nothing more than they pushed for the war. And the website said the same. NONE of the articles I just read had ANYTHING to do with bush "STEALIN" office as you put it. ANd you know what they say about movies...Don't believe everything you see in the movies. Charles I am done communicating with you unless you bring facts to the table and not what someone elses little mind thought up and got you to believe. The few facts you have brought to the table, you decide to play connect the dot with and make assumptions(ie the record increase in weapons manufacturing which must mean Bush is trying to make the war last longer so he can make money) to make them fit into your conspiracy theory! Thats just off!!!

By Annonymous on July 18, 2007 at 12:18 am
Charles...el g isn't the only one who thinks you're a douche... i happen to be a fan of el g's articles and commentary...it livens up the site and is one of the main reasons I visit it! and no...i am not el g....but i hope to meet him one day!

By Steven Blake on November 24, 2007 at 08:51 pm
Well it is always a possible mate. And you really didnt even need to have the war for that. Watch out for the slicer!!

By madmax427 on March 15, 2008 at 01:14 pm

After reading the COMMENTS here, NOT the article, I feel like I'm wading into a war zone! Steven;I truly liked Your article, even though I do not totally agree with Your viewpoint. I am really late coming to this party, But I would REALLY love to see You revisit this topic NOW, 15 March, 2008. SO much more information & FACTS  have come out since Your original article. And there is SO much MORE that will come out. I do agree We as a Nation allowed this invasion, BUT, for reasons directly associated with LIES told to Us by Our "Leaders"! You did address "Our" Politicians WAY TOO BREIFLY. I personally believe We need to make the Politicians angle the biggest & Strongest point to rectify IF We are to live up to Our decisions and commitments. As for offering proof, I have the advantage of evidence You did not have when You wrote Your article. I am referring to the Winter Soldier Testimonies that JUST happened. Although You COULD say I'm just 'connecting the dots', I would ask You this: How do We find the truth out from ANY source IF We do NOT at least START with connecting the dots? One thing I have noticed, especially when discussing a topic as important as this one, I get the impression there is a tendency to argue from the point of view of the THEORY behind Our beliefs and conviently ignoring the fact the THEORY, when actually applied, does NOT match what is truly happening  at the practical application level. Using the Winter Soldiers as a basis, IF We compare Vietnam to Iraq and the effect of the Media being USED in Vietnam and NOT being used in Iraq, The American People are NOT being given the information They NEED to made informed decisions ABOUT Iraq. Playing 'connect the dots' leads Me to the conclusion We are NOT there to Help the Iraqi People, We are NOT going to "Win" the War and We are NOT EVEN TRYING to 'Win" the War. So WHY are We there? HOW are We going to 'make things right'? If You look at JUST the monetary cost of the Iraq War, Our 'President" Yells "Support the Troops" yet LOOK at the extremely LOW percent of the MONEY that goes to Supporting the Troops as compared to the MONEY being SPENT to CONTINUE the War. I STILL wish You would revisit this article and Thanks for the exposure for this problem!