Wednesday, November 22, 2017

My confusion over Scripture/Religion/God

by Shaun Gibson (writer), Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, April 29, 2014

Credit: http://shaunynews.wordpress.com/
I pray each day and believe in God here in Scotland, but so many things confuse me about God and Religion. One is man made, one needs faith.

Why is it that god (christian god of the old testament) commits such evils while lucifer/satan does nothing but "tempt"? - See more at: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1009578/pg1#sthash.Ry6

Often I read parts of scripture not because I want to but more so because while researching for a blog or an article I stumble across some. I stumbled across these here (Not the picture, although it is confusing) and I really am asking a question here. If anyone can help me out, that would be grand

Isaiah 13:15-18: Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the childrenpretty sick and twisted for a divine being!!!”

~~

Kings 2:23-24: The prophet Elisha, was being picked on by some young boys from the city because of his bald head. The prophet turned around and cursed them in the Lords name. Then, two female bears came out of the woods and killed forty-two of them. You would think that God could understand that sometimes the youthful make childish jokes. Calling someone “bald head” is far from being worthy of death.

~~
Exodus 12:29: God killed, intentionally, every first-born child of every family in Egypt, simply because he was upset at the Pharaoh. And god caused the Pharaoh’s actions in the first place. Since when is it appropriate to murder children for their ruler’s forced action?

Scholars estimate this would account for tens of thousands based on the population of Egyptians that were not Jewish. Yeah?

~~
Kings 20:35-36: Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, “Strike me!” But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.” And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.

What did God get bored or something? What is this? This isn’t love, this is Evil talk, who lives by this shit?

I have a REAL hard time with Religion and Religious books, old joke I was brought up on is “Never trust someone with one book” I look at parts of scripture and there is a feel of “Love me or I will kill you” to it. I mean what divine being so loving would do the above and worse? I pray every day and believe in my God as many know. I do try to live toward the 10 commandments (My best, same as us all) and if I stand before God I am sure of one thing, he won’t ask “What religion were you” Religion is man made and it’s bad thing because of people. Some of the nastiest people I know are religious. If I do stand before God and he sends me to hell, we have one hard to please divine being here. I mean babies being killed by a divine being? I blog as little as I can on this subject but I do want to learn, sadly no religious people come and help me with my questions. It’s almost “Well shit, I have no answer, this dude is onto something, move along” Well now does anybody have any scripture showing lucifer running around committing such evils?

As usual I am asking questions, I mean to offend NOBODY. Answers from Gods people would be helpful. I know an Archbishop but he is offline for now. Just to add I live in a religious/political powderkeg here in Scotland. Check here, research I LOVE. Denying bad things happen I can’t. Don’t be ignorant, most of all don’t deny your ignorance. This is to anyone, everyone, even me.

I was a Football manager then I had to stop because of the pain so took up writing. I am average, but the sentiment is there. I want to make this a better world I want to laugh. I have a partner and 4 kids, 2 sons who are older teenagers, and 2 daughters under 4. Share the care x

9 comments on My confusion over Scripture/Religion/God

By riginal on April 30, 2014 at 06:52 am

Shaun hi. The Bible is a bit like the dictionary. verbatimilistic encroachment as to what is right and wrong is a see-saw of conjecturistic interpretation. Who or what God of English decrees what is acceptable? Like the written word, freedom of religious expression brings with it outer boundaries of individual perception people will be arguing about till hell frosts over. If you hit me with a synonym bun do I not bleed?

If you flail me with an exclamation mark in the wrong place do I not let out a right old exclamation? That's my excuse for stuffing the English language up anyway. Seriously, what you speak of is disconcerting dat I agree. I have bought up similar arguments but I think no one will answer for fear of starting an avalanche of claims and counter claims for fear of it escalating into a Doreen Virtue never ending religious debate that still rears its head. I hope I'm wrong...we'll see. Incidently was watching english comic of yore Tommy Cooper. Funny as. Cheers Shaun.People wear different suits of religion but as long as they take the doctors oath to do no harm specially to each other and own a predominate conscience that's all you can hope for. But your post is about past harm implied in what has been recorded thus any comment forthcoming?

By Shaun Gibson on April 30, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Cheers for your commenet, as good as any I have had in my blog and another place.

I know there are no answers, but I still ask. In the hope someone will wake up within religion to a truth they are afraid about.

Hope you are well mate.

Shaun

By melanie jean juneau on May 04, 2014 at 07:11 pm

there are many questions that man cannot answer, such as mysteries about the true nature of God, inconsistancies in scripture, the reality of sin, free choice and evil BUT the fact remains that many of us little people have stumbled upon a connection to God that is vibrant, joyful and inspires us to allow ourselves to be loved and to let that love flow through us.

I was present in a room, the very moment a young atheist experienced a suddenly, an encounter with God that shocked him. He expressed it in wonderful modern terminology. see

" It is Not a Fairytale" here and on my site at http://melaniejeanjuneau.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/it-is-not-a-fairytale/

By Shaun Gibson on May 05, 2014 at 02:11 am

Hey Melanie..x Hope you are well..

I had 3 things happen to me that made me believe in God. I do, anyone reading any of my blogs will see that. I just don't need a church seat or a bible to feel that love. It works me. I ask questions and sometimes I probably come off wrong, my intentions are true..

This movie coming out, looks really good.

Will read your link, thanks Mel.

Shaun x

By riginal on May 05, 2014 at 05:00 am

Melanie you may not get to read this but if what you are and it is obvious you ARE because of your intrinsic faith then don't ever regard yourself as 'little' because you have the heart of a lion and the tenacity of a terrier. We should all be so brave. I don't know how many times something,it, someone, has saved me from some dire stuff. I'm a bit like Shaun faith wise. I'm a firm believer in karma too. An athiest knows when she/he has done wrong and it puzzles me sometimes how a human being can trample in any respect on anyone else physically or just as importantly, emotionally. Which shows a lack of R. If faith or belief in SOMETHING be considered by some,a crutch...then maybe they should hobble on down and walk the walk of basic decency.Not sucking up because you are going to put me up in your chookhouse for 3-12 months mid-winter either. Unless hubby has fixed that damn lock?...I know he hasn't.He's a male! Cheers girl. Shaun cheers. I was wrong. Told you 'little' Braveheart would pop up. Umm...not in so many words but I was thinking that...a wonderful new experience I should add.Have a great weekend everyone...do you have great weekends where you live? Otherwise week days would grate I guess?

By melanie jean juneau on May 12, 2014 at 01:37 pm

riginal thank-you from the bottom of my heart for your support, empathy and most all your unfailing humour, even in the face of adversity

By melanie jean juneau on May 12, 2014 at 01:38 pm

Shaun Gibson loved your article on your blog..you have the heart of a true father

By Shaun Gibson on June 03, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Well said Riginal, Melanie you do have a heart of a lion! I couldn't agree more..

And as for me being a father, I just do what nature tells me to do if that makes sense. It is just genetics I think, as parents we are on auto pilot a lot, just reacting to actions. Usually one falling or scrapping a knee. Being there as a Father is a blessing, no man should miss it, sadly many do. I don't get the mindset..

By melanie jean juneau on June 04, 2014 at 01:16 am

I just might make a meme out of your words for father's day, which is the third sunday in june in Canada