Lips have delicate skin which is ineffective to produce natural oils. This makes our lips more prone to get dry. As the Halloween day approaches, this marks the start of winter. Dry lips, chapped lips, cracked pout are some common issues amongst most people in winter. You need to take proper care of your lips to protect it from getting dry. If you prevent dry lips then you need not have to worry about chapped, cracked lips.
Chapped & Cracked Lips:
The chapped and cracked lips describe dryness of your pout. Extreme cold weather, certain medications and excessive licking of lips are some factors that contribute to dry lips.
Some people are more prone to develop severe form of chapped lips. This condition is known as cheilitis which is caused by infection when the lips have cracks at corners.
Usually there are limitations to treat the dry lips but you need to take preventions. If you have severely cracked, dry lips it is advisable to visit your dermatologist.
Causes of Dry, Sore & Chapped Lips:
Some factors that trigger sore, dry chapped lips are described below:
1. Weather: Extremely cold or warm winds contribute to sore, cracked, dry lips. Low humidity levels can affect your lip skin. Even sitting in an AC room dries up the air thereby makes your lips prone to get dry easily. Lack of application of moisture on lips can make your lips cracked and dry. Exposure to intense sun rays too can burn your lips.
2. Low fluid intake: Lack of water rips off the natural hydration of your body. This also affects the texture of lips thereby make it chapped. Long term dehydration can affect the lips and create cracks. You can notice the skin peeling out of your lips.
3. Cosmetics: Some of the lip cosmetics contain mint, capsaicin, phenol and menthol. These ingredients can adversely affect the lips and contribute to excessive drying.
4. Foods: Consuming extremely spicy foods which can create acid which can make your lips dry and irritate them. You might feel a burning sensation due to food allergies which can equally contribute to chapped lips.
5. Certain medicines: Medications for acne, anti-aging products containing alpha-hydroxy acids, benzoyl peroxide and retinoids causes irritation to lips on contact. Some other medications like phenothiazine causes induced lips.
6. Smoking or chewing: Excessive smoking and betel chewing can create cracks on your lips
7. Vitamin deficiencies: Lack of essential vitamins like B, B2, A and C affect the lip texture and contour.
8. Toothbrush: Prolong use of older toothbrushes can create rashes on your lips. The toothbrushes and teeth can get distorted due to bacteria. With contact on your lips they can affect the lips and make them prone to cracking.
9. Habit of pulling lip skin: You should avoid rubbing your lips using fingers. Avoid licking your lips or pulling it as it might make them dry and chapped.
10. Ill Fitted dentures: The badly fitted dentures can cause lip cracking.
- Use Vaseline or petroleum jelly to prevent dry lips
- You can use lip balm which soothes and heals the chapped irritated lips
- Apply aloe vera which is rich in vitamin E
- Rub cucumber slice on your lips to retain its smoothness
- Avoid lip plumpers which has harmful ingredients instead use ones which contain natural ingredients
- Avoid staying long in the low humidity environment
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
- Change your toothbrush every three months
- Avoid licking your lips
All these home remedies are effective only to treat the minor symptoms of lip cracking. You should consult your GP and find out if it's safe to use these remedies. The lip plumpers with effective ingredients are safe to treat chapped and dry lips. Read the reviews on best lip plumpers to find the best one for treating the lip skin issues.