Saturday, December 16, 2017

Eggstend Your Egg Supply

by Inmyredhead (writer), A beautiful west coast place., June 01, 2013

Credit: inmyredhead
Too many eggs?

The incredible, edible, shelf life extendable egg.

We've all been brought up to carefully respect the 'sell by' date on everything we buy. And most of us have been conditioned to view eggs as too fragile and scarey of a food to even consider pushing the limit. But the important thing here to note is the difference between, 'Sell by' and 'Use by'. Most eggs are marked with a sell by date, not a 'use by' date. It is fairly widely accepted to say that a carton of eggs will last 3 to 4 weeks beyond the sell by date... if properly stored. What is properly stored? Simply stated, if you keep them at a consistent temperature- and best- on the colder side of the average refrigerator setting (33 to 40 degrees) you will get the best results. Many farmers though will tell you they last even longer. So just because it has a date on the end of the carton that says Aug 1st, DO NOT TOSS on Aug 2nd. In fact, the 3 to 4 week estimate is simply a 'safe guideline'. Eggs can last an average of 6 months under best case scenario refrigration and up to a week just sitting on the counter.

I'll pause while my readers collectively gasp.

Yes, six months on average. The important thing to know here is how to read a 'Julian Date'. A Julian date is the number of day of the year the item was packaged. January 1st would be stamped as '1' and Dec. 31st as 356. So the six month time line would be from the Julian Date. And here is an interesting tidbit purely from my own memory of past research. * Please note- a quick internet search to find a citable source to back up what I remember reading in years past, could not be found. But I know I read it and I suspect the lack of similar info today is the result of Health Department Standards, legalities and an effort to sell more eggs. (If it were widely known how long eggs actually last, they wouldn't sell very many eggs now would they?) So for the record I can not recommend that you eat that Easter egg that you purposely didn't boil as a joke and was lost and forgotten, that you just found in the Philodendron planter when you were watering it finally this morning. I'm just saying, to my knowledge and beleif...eggs don't actually 'go bad'. Their shells are porous and so not only do they loose water content, they also absorb refrigerator odors. The way we get a 'rotten egg' is when we find one that is old enough to have lost it's water content and has since become concentrated. I imagine it tastes kind of nasty, though. A.K.A 'rotten'. Also, properly cooking an egg with Salmonella does kill the bacteria and you will be left with a beneficial, protein rich meal, so long as hands were washed and eggs are well cooked.

Personally, I keep my eggs for about 3 months after the sell by date, and would only leave my eggs on the counter for up to a day or two as long as I planned on using them soon and certainly by the sell by date. I'm cheap, but I do have my own comfort levels. Because like most everyone else, caution with eggs is ingrained in my very core. But the point here is that overall, it's ok to relax if even just a little bit. Your eggs will not turn into poisonous green orbs on August 2nd and if you forget to put the groceries away for a few hours- or a day, there is no need to panic. And if your eggs are about to date beyond your comfort level, hardboil them and you will have them for another week.

Then quickly learn how to make Devilled Eggs! (They aren't just for Easter, you know.)

Inmyredhead is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

6 comments on Eggstend Your Egg Supply

By riginal on June 04, 2013 at 05:47 pm

hi girl...is it safe to eat eggs that have a streak of blood in the yolk? You have me paranoid woman! lol...do you ever get a carton of eggs and when you go to pull the egg out it just sticks there and implodes? Are 'free range eggs' better for you? Why do people say "that person is a bad egg?" Does that mean that person is past their use by date? And finally...why do roosters and birds in general crow and twitter so early in the morning? Is it because facebook doesn't come online early enough? What is the difference between large and small eggs as in quality. Nice informative post. Why do people say "don't put all your eggs in the one basket?" Egg segregation to me reeks of sepretism and a lack of communal egg spirit, ie: some eggs could be brought to the boiling point and crack up whilst others try to scramble to safety in a vain attempt to avoid fryday? cheers...i would never eat a poached egg as this implies stealing or poaching something that's not all it's cracked up to be? I now find it hard to look an egg in the face let alone as is the norm-to wear it on my face! I now regard eggs with a lot more respect through your post and i believe that no-one has the right to harbor a bad egg. This should culminate in the ridding of bad yolks so i shall desist and wish you and yours a wonderful day with minimum twitter and something to crow about.

By Inmyredhead on June 04, 2013 at 09:57 pm

So many questions Mr. Riginal! You are a curious sort, aren't you?

I can tell you though, that yes it is safe to eat that egg with a blood streak. Those are just blood vessel breaks due to that mother hen being rough with the egg.

And, no- I never have an egg that just sticks in the carton and implodes. BECAUSE I ALWAYS give each egg a little roll while in the carton before I buy them. ;-)

And there is no difference in quality when it comes to egg size. The only reason it matters at all is when it comes to cooking a recipie. Some recipies can be very particular to the amount of egg. If it says 'Large' eggs then you should make sure you don't put any other size in or you may not get the correct results.

If you put all your eggs in one basket you could become a victim of Murphy's Law and suddenly trip, breaking ALL your eggs. You should have kept a few held back in a safe place. Then you won't have broken them all at once. That's the only way you could experience the wonder of poached eggs. They're delicious!

By riginal on June 04, 2013 at 10:19 pm

much appreciated...

By riginal on June 14, 2013 at 07:04 am

Inmyredhead hi girl! Had a nightmare the other night. As you have already stated, you 'pre-screw' eggs in their cartons to see if a 'renegade' egg 'sticks.' I told my wife to 'screw' before leaving the supermarket. She screwed and broke an egg in the carton and tried to put the carton back on the shelf which meant that the next person to pick up the carton would reject the broken egg and thus the carton would end up in 'no egg land' sales. I took up the 'wounded' egg carton,took it to the register and paid for it. Because i'm HONEST. How many times have you seen women and men 'fondle fruit' until the fondled fruit becomes too bruised and unsaleable? My nighmare was such. A battery hen attacked me on google with a stick! Back to the original problem...sticky eggs! I await your reply.What do you do after your 'testing' and screwing? Do you fondle pre-fondled fruit leaving aforesaid fruit with a bruised ego and no place to go except pigs,animal fodder? Please end my nighmare. Should the battery hens be de-volted? Should the egg cartons be lined with 'shock absorbent' foam? Should the egg layer be forced into a 'crouch position' to lessen the height impact prior to dispensing the egg? Both the chooks and me would like to get to the bottom of this perplexing problem which presently sticks in my craw. My thoughts and best wishes slightly scrambled. Have a great day...

By Inmyredhead on June 14, 2013 at 05:05 pm

Be at ease, Mr. Reginal... breaking an egg as a result of egg screwing is not a bad thing! If it weren't secretly harboring a hairline fracture and thus leaked creating the sticky situation you speak of, then it wouldn't have cracked now would it? So you see, you are... she was... free of blame. Eggs as a market item are not a high margin loss. It is more important to the market that YOU remain a loyal customer and that you get a proper dozen. Most patrons just set the cartons with broken eggs off to the side, but if it really gets to your conscience, simply seek out a store employee and let them know.

And yes, I admit. I fondle fruit. Prefondled or otherwise, I'm an equal opportunity fondler. But I like to think I have a gentle touch.

As to the battery hens...and everything else.... a fifth grader might be able to answer those questions much more to your satisfaction than I.

By riginal on June 15, 2013 at 02:56 am

You're a lovely person to talk to and as to the 'fifth grader' mentality Congress and Aussie politicians have promised "to get back with a solution"...hopefully not a sticky one! Jest have to perch for a while and suck it up i guess! I do tend to kid so maybe i should ask myself! Cheers and have a wonderful day!