Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Blushing-Cream Roast Chicken & Red Curry Pot Pie

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, February 19, 2013

As I prepared to make this newly created recipe, I had to bear the burden of hearing negative and worried comments:

“You’re not making your usual chicken pot pie?” If it isn’t broke why fix it! “You’re adding CURRY? I don’t like curry!” Oh, my, but that’s awfully yellow. Do you think you’ve used too much curry? “I don’t really care for pot pies....”

In the end, they all turned like a spatula! I made sure that all that complained and worried ate every single word of negativity towards a dish they had no choice but rave about.

Talk about taking flavors to the limit; within this recipe are layers upon layers of flavors—flavors infused and intermingled. Imagine: the climax, crescendo, of a loud symphony playing, fireworks exploding with almost blinding colors on a cloudless, starlit night, as your taste-buds sample amazing complexity and depth.

Just sayin’, here, is all. I thought you’d want to know what everyone that’s already sampled this experienced. Besides, there is just no other way to describe what eating this worth-the-trouble-and-time-to-make pie does. You will do a Happy Dance, too!

Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!

This recipe is for making four large, individual servings, [7-inch round] pot pies.

Steps 1 (preparing stock):

Bones from 1 roasted chicken, including the roasted skin (reserve meat for use in steps 5)

1 small onion, peeled and medium chopped

1/2 a large leek stalk, darker portion (reserve tender whites for use in steps 2)

1 cup diced carrots

1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms

2 ribs of celery, medium chopped

2 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

1 bay leaf

4 whole cloves

1 bunch of fresh basil (stems included)

Fresh chiles (optional) slit in the center

4 cups [sodium-free] chicken stock

1 cup red wine (such as: cream sherry, Marsala, tawny or ruby port)

• Into a large pot add all the ingredients, bring to a quick, hard boil, then lower heat to an obvious simmering boil, cover pot and cook for 1 hour.
  • Note: while stock is cooking, proceed with steps 2
  • Stock cooked: take off the heat, uncover and allow cooling about 30 minutes. Strain and reserve just the broth for use later in this recipe. (Discard the bones and veggies.)

Steps 2 (sauté mushrooms):

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

12 ounces mushrooms (such as white, browns, and/or Baby Bellas)

Sprinkle of salt (to taste)

• In a large sauté pan, on the large burner and set on medium, heat olive oil, add mushrooms (do not crowd) and salt, and sauté (stirring VERY infrequently) until just golden-brown. Into a bowl place the cooked mushrooms and set aside.
  • Note: Use this same sauté pan for browning onions in steps 3.

Steps 3 (pearl onions):

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 small bag frozen onions

• In the sauté pan from steps 2, on the large burner and set on medium-high, heat olive oil, add pearl onions and cook, stirring often, just until onions begin to golden. Immediately take off the heat and add browned onions to the bowl of mushrooms set aside.
  • Note: Use this same sauté pan for making roux in steps 4.

Steps 4 (roux & veggies):

1/2 cup (1-stick) butter

1 cup [thinly] sliced mushrooms

1 cup sliced carrots

1 bunch green onions/scallions, finely chopped

2 ribs celery, finely chopped

2 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced

1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon red curry

1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

• Using the sauté pan from steps 3, on the large burner set on medium-high heat the butter to sizzling; add all the veggies and sauté, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
  • Lower heat to medium; add the flour and curry and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes (taking care not to burn).
  • Pushing veggies to the outer part of the sauté pan create an open circle in the middle and add 1 small can of tomato paste. Stirring constantly, cook the tomato paste for about 1 minute before incorporating with the rest of the surrounding veggies. Cook this veggie/tomato paste roux until brown, toasty pieces begin to appear (do NOT burn veggies/flour), about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat immediately.

Steps 5 (putting filling together):

Stock from steps 1

1 can (13.5-ounces) of unsweetened coconut cream

Roux/veggies mixture from steps 4

Reserved roasted chicken from steps 1, shredded or chopped

Reserved sautéed mushrooms from steps 2 and pearl onions from steps 3

1 small bag frozen peas

• To the pot of [already strained] stock, set on the large burner and on medium-heat, add the coconut cream and bring to a light boil. Add the veggie/roux and stir until it is all dissolved and well combined.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until it is thick and bubbling. (Adjust salt and pepper now.) Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool to just warm.

Note: If the filling is too hot it will begin to melt the pie dough.

Steps 6 (assembling pies):

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Pie crust [store-bought (2-boxes) or homemade (for 2 pies)] enough for 4 7-inch round pies

Chicken pie filling from steps 5

1 box [already prepare] puff pastry dough

1 [raw] extra-large egg-yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy-cream (egg-wash)

• Fit enough pie dough over baking dishes to just hang over the edges.
  • Fill enough of the chicken/veggie filling to look almost mounded in the dishes.
  • Top each pie dish with the puff pastry dough, and roll edges inward, tightly.
  • Cut about 4 slits in the pies to allow for steam to escape.
  • Brush pies with the egg-wash. Wait 2-3 minutes, and brush again.
  • Place pies on a large baking sheet prepared with a layer of parchment (this makes for easy cleaning when filling escapes).
  • Bake pies for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling through.

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Blushing-Cream Roast Chicken & Red Curry Pot Pie

By melanie jean juneau on February 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

it looks complicated but i bet it is worth it- this is offical-you are a sous chef

By Barbara MacDonald on February 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Yes, it does seem complictated but worth the extra effort I am thinking...cooking surely is youre gift dear lady...why don't u try out for one of the cooking shows ? I would think you had an excellent chance...just don't make Gordon angry...lol he has quite the temper.

By HomeRearedChef on February 19, 2013 at 02:41 pm

Thank you, Melanie! It is complicated, as are many of my recipes. By the time I've finished cooking for our family and friends, well, often I no longer feel like eating, I am so tired. But it is a thrill for me to see everyone truly enjoying my labor of love. :)

By HomeRearedChef on February 19, 2013 at 02:50 pm

LOL! Oh, Barbara, I'll tell you that I could NOT ever go on a TV show where I am competing. I am a BAD loser and would probably break down and cry torrents if they said bad things about my food. lol! I know, we cannot please everyone's palate, but I surely try. :)

And yes, this recipe is very complicated. That is just what I do to me in the kitchen. lol!

By melanie jean juneau on February 19, 2013 at 03:12 pm

this is definitely a ministry of love which brings people around a table, facilitating joyful fellowship

By HomeRearedChef on February 19, 2013 at 03:58 pm

@motherofnine9 Thank you! :)

I hadn't realized until now, but I honestly cannot remember the last time my family had any quarrels at the table, or at our family gatherings. Food is always a time for celebration in my home. But hasn't food always been just that throughout the ages? I actually can't remember when, but our family has not had fights to disrupt our happy times together. I praise God for that. :)

I hear about so many families that hate holidays because of all the fighting that inevitably takes place. How sad it makes my heart to hear that.

By riginal on February 19, 2013 at 06:34 pm

HRC you would be surprised at what you could achieve tele cooking wise. For a start your 'simmering' all encompassing personality would suck the oxygen from your cooking competitors. You would be told/forced to cry anyway because that's the main ingredient in cooking shows with high ratings.It's like life itself...a game of emotion.You don't think those mandatory 'bitches' that screw their noses up at other competitor's offerings are chosen at random do you? I kid you not, someone or something will happen to change your life which will involve cooking, and YOU have the 'added' topping of being articulate. Serious! If I could just finish with a quick observation.(A mean- spirited 'sweet n'sour' cook with a slight hearing impediment presents her dish to the judge. The judge spits it out, yells "this is not fricassee chicken?" The fowl mouth cook clucks back,"hell!...I thought you said- "make a foul dish... come friggin' see!" ) I put the last flutter in brackets so as not to diminish my prediction on your future. GREAT things happen to 'God hearted' cooks and people. And don't you forget it! Because God won't.

By HomeRearedChef on February 20, 2013 at 01:38 am

Riginal, dear Amigo, this time you have not only managed to make me laugh but cry as well. I guess there is always a first. Your prediction I will NOT forget. If I am ever recognized and interviewed, I will tell the world of your words, and give them your name as well: Riginal, my blogging friend and awesome, funny writer. :)

BIG cheers and big hugs to you!

By Uttam Gill on February 20, 2013 at 09:30 am

I totally agree with Barb…when she mentioned that why not Virginia be on TV Show…

Ladies and Gentlemen…Let me introduce a great woman...many call her a ministry of love…Yes a woman, whom I never met but you all will be amazed to know that she has been so instrumental not only keeping her family so at peace on dining table but an overseas observer like me too… who is seven seas away…yes , so far away… got to know a great piece of wisdom...and let me quote her”Having a food is always a celebration”…The one who says this, certainly must be a woman, as I visualize a live wire to any family. In that house an aromatic fragrance of food, cooked by her must have filled the belly of hungry family members but more than that this woman kept the family together…Ladies and gentlemen amidst all chaotic conditions and the weaning family relations in the present scenario, she kept the beautiful family together…You Know why?..Because she holds a great passion in her… who wish to cook for her family…I feel so fortunate to be part of her extended family….Though miles apart…I always come and take bite of my share of her food…Ladies and Gentlemen, how many of us hold such passion…I don’t think we are so blessed…Let me have the privilege to introduce Virginia a great human being…the one who cooks to keep her family so contented and at peace…Yes, the one and only I repeat, who says…”Having a food is always a celebration”…What a great HOME MAKER SHE IS…besides being such a passionate cook

”Having a food is always a celebration”…Virginia it speaks volume

Whenever next time you see a smoke bellowing out of Chimney from the roof top of any house, you would remember Virginia cooking

Keep it up Virginia…Keep the fire on…

By HomeRearedChef on February 22, 2013 at 03:59 pm

Certainly, Uttam, though we are many miles apart, you are indeed now part of my extended family. :)

And what a lovely, heartwarming comment... Oh, my, goodness...thank you my dear friend. Glad you are not here next to me, or you would see me blubbering. Yes, you've made me tear. Thank you!!!