Friday, December 15, 2017

The summer I trained with Body Builder Cathy Palyo

The results of faithfully workingout!

The year was 1988—the peak of summer—I was a mom with 3 children, in my early 30s, and I’d begun weight training with hardcore determination. I was committed.

I trained at home and at our local gym. Desperately wanting to get back into some-kind of decent shape, I began following the female body-building world, I read magazines, watched ESPN’s broadcasts of competitions, and even attended local competitions where I got to see beautiful Marjo Selin and Charla Sedacca (known for her awesome biceps). Well, I caught the fever; I wanted to be a bodybuilder. I was hooked.

I bought and read anything and everything on bodybuilding, anything I could get my hands on. I even plastered posters of male and female bodybuilders in my garage—surrounding myself with motivation. I had posters of Rachel Mclish, Gladys Portugues, Carla Dunlap, Mary Roberts, Lenda Murray, Anja Langer, Cory Everson, and “no-last-name-necessary” Arnold and Lee Haney, just to mention a few. I was obsessed; I breathed, ate, slept, and dreamt bodybuilding. I wanted very badly to become one of them; to be up on stage, showing off my chiseled physique, my hard-earned bulging muscles.

If they could do it, then I most certainly could do it too, and why not?

And then I saw an advertisement that Cathy Palyo, a National Champ, for a fee, would train and educate a novice on the lifestyle of bodybuilding. The arrangements were made, and my hubby and I spent three days with Cathy and Bill Palyo.

During our stay I was on cloud nine. Cathy and Bill were perfect hosts, and the meals they prepared for us were so delicious that one would have never guessed they were low fat and low sodium. We trained and ate and trained… We spent the next week feeling more pain than we had a right to. It hurt to sit. It hurt to stand. It hurt to walk, to breathe…it hurt to be awake!

What was the saying? No pain no gain!!

I am not complaining here, we had a wonderful time. We learned a lot, enough to keep us motivated throughout these past many years.

Alas, a bodybuilder’s lifestyle was not for me. I was a stay-home mom, a full-time mommy. I made my children my priority; and the amount of training and time required to be a worthy and acceptable competitor would not have ever fit into my Mommy Agenda. Sure, I continued to work out every day, I got up early, worked out while the children were still sleeping, and went to the gym when I was able to get a relative to sit with them. But being a “bodybuilder” requires time and devotion, and I couldn’t afford to give all that it required of me then.

Today, hubby and I continue to faithfully workout with weights, lifting 3-4 times weekly. We’ve set good habits to follow, and I am sure we will continue to lift when we are wrinkled and possibly wearing dentures!

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on The summer I trained with Body Builder Cathy Palyo

By Barbara MacDonald on February 08, 2013 at 03:07 pm

There are so many things that we as parents puton the "back burner" because we make our children our priority...is important to take care of our health, especially as we get older. Exercise is important, I agree. :-)

By riginal on February 08, 2013 at 07:18 pm

HRC I too was once a bodybuilder. I trained under Jack the Ripper. My first build was a disaster! Jack was so annoyed.Three heads four arms five legs...just no co-ordination at all. Oh sure! It drank beer but the alcohol cost a fortune. It was like shaking hands with a bloody windmill...and it kept running to the loo in all directions! I gave it away as it got too bloody hard. It went into Congress and got thrown out at the swearing in ceremony for excessive swearing. None of the heads could agree about anything! That should have secured it a permanent place?

By HomeRearedChef on February 08, 2013 at 07:57 pm

Yes, Barbara, it IS important that we continue to workout and take care of our health as we get older...especially as we get older. LOL!

Boy, and we do so much for the people we love, don't we? :)

By HomeRearedChef on February 08, 2013 at 08:01 pm

LOL! Riginal, Riginal, dear Riginal, you slay me, Amigo!! Perhaps if I'd trained under Jack the Ripper I'd have a "ripped" physique and have something really to write home about. I gues it felt better when I could lift my husband (6-feet tall, weighing 240 pounds). But hey, we all get old. If I tried to lift him now (and I have tried), well, let's not talk about the possible messes. LOL!

By Uttam Gill on February 09, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Wow…Virginia tell me who are you? Come on don’t frown…I am just wondering at hard core chef into bodybuilding…pumping iron to build up/tone up each muscle…I am not saying one cannot, but what amazes me is your versatility…The way you took life with age…To me your life appears to be as delicious as your dishes…Cooking, body building…may be…next is singing…dancing…Virginia you are blessed with great attitude...You and your man certainly enjoying life…Carry on Virginia

Certainly I enjoyed reading your account…Keep it up

By HomeRearedChef on February 11, 2013 at 03:24 pm

Thank you, Uttam! :) Though I am no longer that slender girl from back-in-the-day, no longer youthful and very strong, I still love working out with weights. God only knows what I would really weigh today if I didn't workout at all, since I love to cook AND eat. lol!

By melanie jean juneau on February 11, 2013 at 04:39 pm

I never have worked out ever, just garden, haul rocks and bike- I admire you

By HomeRearedChef on February 13, 2013 at 12:54 am

I love workingout, now if only I could be as faithful with not eating too much. lol!