Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Great Canadian North

Credit: travel.nationalgeographic.com
I am surrounded by lakes and forests

Surrounded by forests and thousands of inland lakes, most Canadians live less than an hour or two from open country.

I was listening to an interview on the car radio as we drove into through farmland and uncultivated stretches into town. An excited British woman devotes an entire blog to her experiences in the wilderness that makes up much of Canada. To her friends in England, Canada is an exotic foreign land.

Suddenly I realized how wild and barren Canada still is. Canada is one of the First World Countries but it remains largely undeveloped. The theme of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver was the stark beauty of millions of square kilometres of vast, tundra, mountain ranges, and forests.

I was on a plane, coming into land at the great Ottawa International Airport with its arrival area's two baggage carousels, when an excited little American boy questioned his mum,

We are real close now to Ottawa, right mom?

This is the capital, right mom?

But where are all the buildings?

I just see trees.

huh mom, huh..

Where are the buildings?

I thought you said we were coming to the capital of Canada

I had to smile because as we coasted up to the terminal, it looked more like a small, airport for a small town. Of course. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are bigger but there are hundreds of kilometres separating our large centres.

In fact navigation across Canada is relatively simple. Take the directions I gave my parents who drove from the West Coast to Eastern Ontario, some 4,000 kilometres.

Take the Trans Canadian Highway through the Rocky Mountains, across the foothills of Alberta, through the Prairie Provinces, drive 18 hours from Northern Ontario to South-Eastern Ontario, turn left at the hamlet of Antrim and we are 3.1 kilometres on the left.

My dad drove up without needing further instructions!

My husband and I raised 9 children on a hobby farm and discovered fulfilment and joy.The very existence of a joyful mother of nine children seems to confound people. My writing is humourous and heart warming/ thoughtful and thought provoking with a strong current of spirituality running through it.

10 comments on The Great Canadian North

By Uttam Gill on February 07, 2013 at 06:42 am

Oh you almost took me there...lol

Far from the madding crowd into the wilderness one can find life blooming...Your narration takes me into the fold of enchanting beauty of Canada...I hear a lot from my sister, who is a Canadian Citizen and resides in Montreal...She always speaks so high about natures beauty of Canada...My late mother too relished the breathtaking scenic beauty of Canada...

If God permits before I close my eyes... One day I will drive on that road...snow, forest and mountains have always fascinated me...

By melanie jean juneau on February 07, 2013 at 08:10 am

It must be the exact oppossite of India which is hot and more heavily populated. Our whole country has less population than the stste of New York.

By Uttam Gill on February 07, 2013 at 10:28 am

Sharing with you a link to say this is MY INDIA

By melanie jean juneau on February 07, 2013 at 10:32 am

I will watch it right now

By melanie jean juneau on February 07, 2013 at 10:38 am

I did not realize that you also had huge, unpopulated area. I suppose your large population is condensed around the big cities?

By Barbara MacDonald on February 07, 2013 at 01:35 pm

Canada is such a welcoming country and I am proud to live here...although I still retain my U.S.A. citizenshio too....And yes Uttam, I understand of what you speak...you have given me the gift of learning about your beautiful India over the years we have known each other...someday I hope to stand on the ground where Mother Theresa blessed so many...Calcutta...is on my bucket list....and I also know how much your own Mother traveled to Canada to help your Didi over the years...I also have been able to know your sister through you and I will always feel honored that you gave me this gift...I pray someday you too may walk on Canadian soil...if it is God's will...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on February 07, 2013 at 03:40 pm

Melani, hubby and I would love to visit beautiful Canada someday. We would love to take a road trip, and maybe I, too, could write about our adventure there. :)

By melanie jean juneau on February 07, 2013 at 04:15 pm

By Credo on October 21, 2013 at 01:05 pm

Canada sounds really appetizing, the appeal is alluring, I will certainly make plans to visit one day...

Grand post...