Wednesday, October 18, 2017

And The Gentle Deer Walk Among Us

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, January 14, 2013

Gentle deer freely roam our property!

Deer, those gentle creatures with big, soft doe’ee eyes, will forever remind me of the movie I saw as a child, “Bambi.”

So to see them now, as they peacefully roam my property and graze without a care in the world, knowing no harm will come to them. Why, it’s enough to melt my once icy heart, like butter left in the scorching sun. Yes, a family of deer, at least a baker’s dozen, does indeed walk among us. For them, this is a Deer Haven. How beautiful is that?

From any of the windows in my home these gentle creatures can be seen and admired. I wake in the mornings and open my bedroom windows to see them quietly nibbling the bushes. I see them throughout the day, scattered in the front or backyards, nibbling the young grass and [still] more bushes, all the while we are enjoying our own breakfast or lunch from the kitchen window, or enjoying dinner in the dining-room. They really are beautiful, gentle creatures to behold!

But, boy, they do have a ravenous appetite. It seems they never stop eating!

When we moved to this gorgeous property we brought all our many trees with us; we placed them strategically for eye appeal. We’ve been caring for our trees for many years now, and there was no way we were going to leave our collection of flourishing trees behind. Our trees make-up a nice variety too, including dwarf trees: Meyer lemon, Bearss lime, Pink Variegated lemon, Mandarin Kumquat, Sweet tangerine, 3 kinds of olive trees, 2 kinds of fig trees, 2 kinds of cherry trees, a Hass avocado tree, and a Chocolate Fuyu Persimmon tree.

These trees are our babies; mind you; our [together] hobby; our heart’s desire. And these beastly, eating machines are devouring all the leaves from our precious trees! They are near to killing them!! My precious Kumquat and olive trees look more like twigs now!!!

Is there anything they won’t eat?

They are so lucky I don’t own or know how-to use a shot gun!

..Venting here…calming down…must think of a plan! So hubby has determined to build freakin’ cages to protect them from these green-eating vampiros!

I promise I’ll feel better once the [ugly] cages are up and protecting what’s left of them; though they won’t look as attractive anymore, not sitting within a cage of chicken wire. Sigh!

Blogger’s Note: No deer were harmed in the writing of this post nor will they be harmed in the future.

But, seriously, who’s up for fresh venison?

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on And The Gentle Deer Walk Among Us

By riginal on January 14, 2013 at 06:04 am

it's simple HRC. In a sense they're deer people right? Dear people in America shy away from polticians they don't like.Show the little deers photos of your pollies and when they start walking away from one particular photo make a statue up of that person/s. Possums here are protected, they eat lemons even. Single electric tape fence on spikes?Please don't fire your husband as i'm pretty sure they're a protected species from the waist down?

By melanie jean juneau on January 14, 2013 at 09:26 am

Vension is delicious, free range, chemical free, organic, low fat and they livecarefree lives. Also their demise is quick, without the terror of the slaugter house

Of course the also hate human hair spread about.. suppose to keep them awat. Also dogs frighten them.. so I say forget ugly fences, eat well in the company of man's best friend

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm

:) Great idea Riginal! I understand that we do have people that eat possums here, thought it is definitely not a popular thing to do. And I have also read that possums LOVE honey, however it is NOT recommended to feed them. I certainly wouldn't. lol!

As always, Amigo, thank you for the visit!!!

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I still love the deer, Melanie, (they are beautiful, gentle creatures), and, of course, we would never think of harming them. So we have found a safe way to at least secure the trees and veggies we don't want them to destroy. We've enclosed the backyard, now they don't bother. And anything they can reach in the front, well, it is theirs to eat. After all, they were here first. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on January 15, 2013 at 03:45 pm

Seems you found a good solution...I know I would enjoy watching them, but also be upset it they were eatting my plants and trees...

:-) ...hugs

By HomeRearedChef on January 15, 2013 at 04:09 pm

So we have moved my fruit trees to the back, which we have now enclosed. The others, well, they don't seem to be their favorite for eating. Whew! But I always remind myself that they were here first. lol!

Hugs back Amiga!

By souschef on January 16, 2013 at 01:11 am

Those things are eating machines.

I think a strong, tall fence is the only answer if you don't want to bring in a pack of dogs.

By HomeRearedChef on January 16, 2013 at 01:37 am

LOL! Souschef, for a while there I was almost tempted to buy a pack of dogs. In the end it would cost too much to feed them. Sigh!