Thursday, October 19, 2017

Poultry in White Sangria BRINE

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, January 12, 2013

Turkey in a brine of wine and citrus.

Soaking your poultry—chicken, turkey, goose or duck—in sweet-and-salty savory brine will ensure that no-one is going to dare suggest your bird won’t be juicy!

Brining is a process by which meat is tenderized. And meat that has been brined is made very tender, cooking-up flavorful and juicy.

There are many variations for brining meat, fish, and poultry—varying in the use of broths, beer and wine, and seasoning to your very personal taste, and usually with a combination of water, salt and sugar. This particular brine begins with a blend of fresh citrus (oranges, lemons, limes) and fresh pomegranate, equal ratios of brown sugar and sea salt, and sweet onion and fresh rosemary, together enhanced with Sauvignon Blanc.

Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!

This recipe brined a boned turkey, weighing almost 20 pounds

STEPS 1 (12-16 hours brining / overnight):

9 cups very hot (almost boiling) water

1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt or gray salt (non iodized)

1/2 cup golden-brown sugar, measured packed

2-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary

1 large and heavy orange, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

1 large and heavy pomegranate, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

2 large and heavy lemons, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

2 large and heavy limes, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

1 large sweet onion, peeled and roughly cut into approximately 1-inch pieces

1.5 liter bottle of dry white wine (i.e. Sauvignon Blanc)

9 cups ice cubes

2-4 cups of ice cubes, enough to ensure the bird(s) is completely immersed

Allow salt and sugar and rosemary to steep in the hot water (stirring to make sure the salt and sugar dissolve completely).

Add the next 7 ingredients and stir to blend well. Next you can add your poultry of choice, finishing with as much ice as it is needed to ensure poultry is submerged.

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Poultry in White Sangria BRINE

By Barbara MacDonald on January 12, 2013 at 05:16 pm

Interesting....this is something I have never done...something interesting my daughter learned while living in Austria...was to place bacon strips over the turkey...it gives it a smoked flavor as well as keeps it moist. I was afraid it would make for greasy drippings for gravy, but it seems to cook away. I normally cook it this way now, as it works very well and tastes great.

Your way is good I am sure, but this is a bit easier maybe...the wine I am sure adds to the flavor. :-)

By melanie jean juneau on January 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm

This sounds yummy. My third child is a Red Seal Chef who soaked chicken in orange juice with lemons and limes and spices for a family celebration-magnificent

By Uttam Gill on January 13, 2013 at 12:46 am

aiy aiy yea..karu mey kya suku suku...Dil mera kho gya suku suku...Juicy with sweet and sour taste...Licking my tongue to fire my belly...Virginia your marksman ship(Not in firing range) in kitchen is flawless...

Tel me, what you are cooking in your mind for the next article...lol...

By the way I just ventured into the forbidden zone (Kitchen) against the wishes of my Wife to make omelet for the breakfast and I messed up the kitchen more than the omelet...lol…

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 02:16 am

OH, yum, Barbara, adding bacon strips sounds wonderfully delicious, too. I've done that with chicken and cornish hens, but now I know to try it with turkey, too. Thank you for the tip, Amiga! :)

And yes, wine or even beer add wonderful flavor to a brine.

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 02:18 am

My dear Uttam, after reading your disaster in the kitche, please, may I suggest you stay out. lol!

I am actually writing a new recipe for a souffle, and the ingredients I will be working with have me very excited! I promise to share when I am ready. :)

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 02:19 am

Your daughter sounds like an amazing chef. I am jealous that she had the opportunity to attend culinary school. That was one of my greatest desires. Sigh! I can still dream, can't I? :)

By Uttam Gill on January 14, 2013 at 02:28 am

Hey you too ask me to stay away from kitchen ...come on have a heart my friend...I won't stop...This timid Chef in make (Me) certainly not to going to give up...lol...Don’t look at my messy skills...Look actually my die hard spirit to cook...I am hell of a messy creature but surely one day I will be a great cook...lol

Virginia one day I will be in your kitchen…are you sweating ...shivering in horror thinking that what mess I am going to do in your kitchen…lol…KITCHEN A FORBIDDEN ZONE FOR ME

Jokes apart waiting for your next recipe

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 12:21 pm

LOL! Oh, Uttam, I am used to people making messes in my kitchen (I have a nice collections of pots and pans and cooking ware, and always an excellent choice of ingredients to work with). So YOU, mi friend, are certainly welcome to come and cook here to your heart's desire. Actually, we can cook and make a mess together (your wife included, as long as I am the boss!). :)

By souschef on January 16, 2013 at 01:14 am

I am a confirmed advocate of brining. I think it lends a wonderful juciness to poultry along with giving you the chance to add some more flavors. Like citrus.

By HomeRearedChef on January 16, 2013 at 01:36 am

Ooh, Souschef, I totally agree! I do also use dry rubs, but I LOVE brining.