Monday, November 20, 2017

My Mother the Cool Dresser; Accessorized to Kill

Grandma leading the way in

It is a well known fact that my mother has always dressed and accessorized in style; more like dressed to kill the competition, no matter what her age.

Even now that she is nearing her 80’s her grandkids and great-grandkids refer to her as “Gramita (or Grandma) the cool dresser.” She is bejeweled and appropriately colorful, with added rouge to her once-high cheekbones and lipstick to still plump lips.

When she was a young woman living in San Salvador, El Salvador, early-enough to wear sexy 3-inch spike heels, she knew how to catch a man’s eye. And boy did she ever!

She carried her head and chin high and smiled her practiced coy smile, without ever parting her full lips. She even sashayed with pretention as she batted her eyes to approaching masculinity, but never, ever, planned to direct a single word of friendliness. She saved her Siren’s breath only for the worthy, those most willing to make fools of themselves. She gave everything but offered nothing; she was a lady, after all. But she left them hungry with desire.

To her window they came to serenade, with poems and with songs, and even once or twice were drenched with water by her ever watchful mother. Those poor, poor lads!

She was like a tigress on the prowl, but her hunger was sated just from knowing she was admired and desired. Even now that she is a Senior Citizen other women will envy her striking good looks. And even now she hides her age well-enough that she makes a game at keeping them guessing. Oh, how I wish I could have been like her, or even carry myself like her now; to have that kind of poise and self-assured confidence. Oh, and how I wish….

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on My Mother the Cool Dresser; Accessorized to Kill

By Barbara MacDonald on January 11, 2013 at 06:28 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom Virginia...she is a beautiful woman...but you are too...so please remember that my friend...hugs xoxo

By HomeRearedChef on January 11, 2013 at 06:58 pm

*Blushing* thank you, Amiga, for your kind words. I will try to remember. And today is Friday! So here's wishing you a very happy and relaxed weekend. ~Big hugs back at you!

By Uttam Gill on January 12, 2013 at 09:21 am

She is the coolest grand ma...o la la la...I can sense her magnetic persona..."Tigress on Prowl"...wow what a compliment for your mom...Gramita is still full of life...Surely the other woman must be envying her a lot…after all don't you agree, If I say Neighbors envy and owners pride.

Virginia,I can see how proud you are of your mother…

I wish I can dance with this charming 80 year young woman...May I have the privilege to dance with her...

By HomeRearedChef on January 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Why, Uttam, you must certainly have a dance with her, afterwhich I would like a turn dancing with you, too. (My mom and I, both, LOVE dancing.) lol!

My mother, by the way, was a great dancer in her days. She and her cousin danced a ballet number for the then president of El Salvador. These are memories she shares with us with great pride!

Thank you, my friends, for your awesome visit. :)

By melanie jean juneau on January 12, 2013 at 02:11 pm

My 60 year old husbands grandmother, at the age of 98, still wears scarves, jewelry, make-up, hats...

By HomeRearedChef on January 14, 2013 at 02:14 am

Oh, Melanie, and aren't they just the best to set examples? They are beautiful at any age! :)

By souschef on January 16, 2013 at 01:19 am

When you've got it, you've always got it. I am pleased to know she is keeping up appearances.

By HomeRearedChef on January 16, 2013 at 01:35 am

Me, too, Souschef. In a way, you see, she makes me look good, too! :)