Saturday, October 21, 2017

A Secret about Recipes...If You Promise Not To Tell

Recipe writing and sharing recipes.

Did you know that many chefs withhold recipe secrets, such as ingredients and cooking tips that give their signature dish that unmatched flavor edge? They know better than to give it all away.

A smart chef knows to withhold 1 or 2 key ingredients or dynamic that gives their dish that ultimate taste difference. I can tell you that this home-reared chef has at times been tempted to do just that, and, in fact, in the past—a very long time ago—indeed I have. In my defense, I will tell you why.

When a friend or relative has sampled one of my personal creations, a particular dish they have found to be truly delicious—so much that they want to go home and duplicate it—it is natural that they would want to ask for the recipe. I, too, will often ask for a recipe I like; however I also remember seeing reluctance on some of those faces, a look that said, How dare you ask...or being told flat-out No!

A close friend of my mother absolutely refused to give her family’s Mexican enchilada recipe away. She said the recipe had been given to her by her Mexican mother-in-law; a recipe passed down many generations. And let me tell you that this lady never budged, and never allowed anyone to be around when she was putting together her casserole.

I, too, have encountered this with a very close and dear friend. She has a cheesecake recipe I want and she will not share it; she will not budge. Close friends eh! This recipe was given to her by a woman she met many years ago, and only after she’d begged and pleaded for the recipe was she able to extract it from her. But not before she swore she’d never share it with anyone else. This is her story and she is sticking to it!

I, on the other hand, continue to share my recipes with her. I will not be one to cause a “friend” to break a promise.

Not giving away your recipe, or omitting one or two ingredients or even important how-to’s, is not about not wanting to share or see “them” receive praise for your creation(s). You do not want to see “them” getting credit for what is rightfully yours. This did happen to me, a couple of times, and I cried a river after that.

A neighbor, thought to be a friend, requested a couple of my recipes to make for her family, and I gladly shared them. Only to find out later that she had published them in her church’s cookbook, with my exact ratios and instructions, claiming them as her own.

I should have learned then but didn’t. This happened to me yet again!

Now I publish/blog my recipes on-line, they are found on the Internet. But now they bare the date of when my recipe is first published; they belong to me. I am the author. The date my recipe is published is as close to having a Copyright. So I have no reason not to share and give all my secrets away. I want people to taste and enjoy my hearts creations, exactly as I have enjoyed them.

So take my secrets and make use of them, just remember to give credit where credit is due, to HomeRearedChef. And please, do enjoy!

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

9 comments on A Secret about Recipes...If You Promise Not To Tell

By souschef on January 07, 2013 at 04:01 pm

Good for you!

And Thank you for your honesty!

I would feel betrayed by a neighbor like that also.

By melanie jean juneau on January 07, 2013 at 06:15 pm

I cannot fathom how or why somsone could do that to you. Wow- you have a generous spirit and are a true hostess

By HomeRearedChef on January 07, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Yes, Souschef, I was hurt, but I forgave her. That is why I now publish my recipes. I put them out there first. :)

By HomeRearedChef on January 07, 2013 at 10:09 pm

:) Thank you, Melanie. At least I can say this: her kids did comment to me that her dish did not come out like mine. Every hand, every cook has their own style and timing. So there!

By melanie jean juneau on January 07, 2013 at 10:40 pm

By riginal on January 08, 2013 at 10:29 pm

HRC you sound and act just like my departed dad. He was tough as, looked and acted like Garry Cooper. He could engineer, make anything. Didn't go to church worked Sundays to keep family together. Designed a brilliant mechanical 'honey extraction' machine. Loaned it to bee-keeping church going well off 'friend' who took out a patent on the design.Dad never learned. YOU'LL never learn. It's called 'goodness from within'. It's your INNER 'goodness' that will illuminate and expose hypocrites automatically. AND aren't you glad that you have been blessed with that wonderful 'FLAW'. Your 'friend's' dish didn't come out as good as yours because the smallest deceit sours anything of worth, and VALUE girl...but you knew that!...cheers.

By HomeRearedChef on January 09, 2013 at 01:13 am

Awww, Riginal, you sure know how to make a girl (a cook!) feel better about herself. Thank you muchly, Amigo! :)

By the way, I LOVE, love Gary Cooper. If I'd met your Dad I would have have been drooling all over him. Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean to go on like that. I should stick to talking about food only. lol!

Hugs and cheer to you, my friend!

By Credo on April 02, 2013 at 04:48 pm

There are several great lessons to be learned in this article, besides being an interesing publication!

Perhaps your generosity may prove to be a blessing for all those young men and women that desire to become chefs. It is however intellligent to protect your intellectual property while sharing some of your most exciting cooking secrets.

Great Job!

Credo

By Anja88 on April 29, 2014 at 12:02 am

I truly like that and pozycjonowanie stron