Sunday, October 22, 2017

Their Successes and Accomplishments Are My Happinesses.

A Circle of Love: Family

Nothing gives me a greater sense of personal accomplishment than when I see that my children have achieved what they’ve set out to do in their lives.

But while my children are successful and accomplished, if they were to fail or are just short of reaching their goal, well, don’t look at me! Hubby and I did our part; we’ve sacrificed till we acquired our obvious wrinkles and load of gray hairs. We gave nothing short of just darn-right giving up every drop of blood we have.

We have loved our children with every existing micro cell in our being, but when they’ve grown they will undoubtedly each chart a course to follow. Here’s hoping, however, that their father and I have taught them everything they should know to set them walking on their own two feet and prepared them, street-wise, we hope, on how to face the world.

We’ve taught them to:

• Love and respect that which they are; and if you don’t like what you see in the mirror, then do something about it.
  • Love or at least respect others.
  • Have Faith and believe that you have the power to make things happen, and when you can’t, because you’ve given it your all, it doesn’t make you a failure.

We made sure they received a proper education, without which they would have difficulties accomplishing their goals for [said] successes.

My youngest, my boy, came to me one day to tell me that he’d decided he was taking a year or two off from college. (Most don’t bother to come back to finish their education.) It took me only a moment to digest what he’d just told me, to which I replied: “I cannot force you to stay in school. But if you drop out of college now, you will need to promptly find a job and then plan on moving out. Your father and I are not going to sit idle and watch you throw any part of your life away. You can move out and do it on your own time.”

If memory serves me right, within a few short hours my son had decided to stay in school. He eventually received his degree, a BS in Actuarial Science, graduating Cum Laude. Success!

Yes. Their successes and accomplishments have given us our happinesses.

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

9 comments on Their Successes and Accomplishments Are My Happinesses.

By melanie jean juneau on December 26, 2012 at 07:03 pm

Good for you. The perfect way to motivate college kids to stay in school is to tell them to get a job and contribute to the household or to move out.

By riginal on December 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm

aint that the truth girl! VERY well put.Funny though.I was talking to a wealthy lady who runs a successful shop in a mall. She sent her son to uni...he dropped out and started up his own cleaning business and loves it! My brother sent his son to uni. He dropped out...used his excellent drawing talent to create a short 'Grommet' type character-won an award in that genre in Hollywood. I argued with my brother, "at least the lad's found something HE loves doing." Putting aside for a tick pros and cons of education or perish?...which indeed is so important. Do you know what makes my being wilt? My son will ring up and call me an idiot for mucking around...then his tone will sober and he'll say without fail..."I LOVE YOU DAD!" His sister is a work in progress? I think she's got the makings of a top magician...my missus taught her as a child how to put one arm around dad and extract money seamlessly with the other out of his wallet without even unzipping it! I've been told by money illusionists and 'overdraft' experts that females are born with this gift? I must admit they always chorus..."we love you but don't go way...we'll be buck...ummm...back?" You can live on love and Tim Tams can't you? Must go...have to dunk out for a sec...may the farce...ummm force be with you. May your lesser half grow triple wallets and multiple hiding places. For what gaineth a man if he hoards his wealth only to find at the end of his life that life itself is a sea of illusion...forget about the wealth and hold on to your ideals. You can't drown goodness...but you can dunk and suck on it. cheers.........

By Barbara MacDonald on December 27, 2012 at 09:44 am

I totally agree Virginia...I told my son the exact same thing...ever you are in school or you get a job...He went back to school too...You must be proud of your son...well done ...:-)

By Barbara MacDonald on December 27, 2012 at 09:55 am

*either

By HomeRearedChef on December 27, 2012 at 02:23 pm

Yay, Melanie, I am so glad you agree. Thank you! :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 27, 2012 at 02:32 pm

Dear Riginal, ("may the farce ...ummm force be with you"), I love reading your comments, they are quite intoxicating, Amigo. Thank you! :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 27, 2012 at 02:33 pm

It fills my heart so, Barbara, knowing that hubby and I are not alone in the department of sticking to our guns, in regards to our children. Thank you, sweet Amiga, for your input. :)

XOXOX

By Barbara MacDonald on December 27, 2012 at 02:40 pm

Parenting is the most important job we do in life in MHO...and there are times our children will test us to our limits...but it is our responsibly to teach them the way to walk in life...even when they are angry at us...someday they will understand it was for their own good...

By HomeRearedChef on December 27, 2012 at 03:42 pm

And I'll tell you something else, Barbara, even as grown ups, parents in their own nests, they are STILL testing us. Sigh! :)