Sunday, December 17, 2017

Roasted Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

Pumpkin Ice Cream. Pumpkin season just doesn’t get any better than this!

‘Tis still the season to purchase fresh pumpkins and get your pumpkin’s fill. And have you ever had roasted pumpkin ice cream? You are in for a treat!

With this recipe you will enjoy the delicious ultimate essence of freshly roasted pumpkin and pumpkin pie flavor, in a bowl; of creamy ice cream, and enhanced by the addition of sweet coconut cream, pure vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste. You will also savor the distinct molasses flavor from golden-brown sugar.

Pumpkin season just doesn’t get any better than this!

Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!

Recipe makes 2-quarts plus 1 cup

STEPS 1 (roasting the pumpkin):

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

4 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled, cleaned, and cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes

1/2 teaspoon sea salt or gray salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon cayenne

• On a large baking sheet, parchment lined, spread the pumpkin seasoned with all the ingredients, and place sheet in the center of oven.
  • Immediately turn oven down to 400 degrees and bake 35-45 minutes, tossing once after 25 minutes of cooking. The pumpkin is done when it pierces easily with a fork. Do not overcook the pumpkin (you do not want mush) and do not let it brown; set aside to cool.
  • When roasted pumpkin is cooled, transfer to a food processor and process until smooth; set aside.

STEPS 2 (making the custard):

8 extra-large egg yolks

1/4 cup golden-brown sugar

Note: Use empty can of coconut cream to measure heavy cream and milk (after blending milks, reserve 1 cup’s worth in the freezer, do not allow freezing).

1 (15-oz) can coconut cream, shake well

15 ounces heavy whipping cream, 1-hour room temperature

15 ounces non-fat milk, 1-hour room temperature

1/4 cup golden-brown sugar

Pinch of sea salt or gray salt

1 cup reserved chilled milk mixture

1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract

1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)

• In a small bowl lightly beat the yolks with the sugar until sugar is well blended; set aside.
  • In a 3-quart pot, on medium heat and using the small burner, add milks (save the 1 cup in the freezer) and sugar and salt, and heat to almost a boil. Remove from the burner, and very slowly pour about 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks, all the while whisking constantly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
  • Return the milks and egg mixture to the saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, with a spoon, until thickened and a streak is visible on the back of the spoon when swiped, about 10 minutes.
  • Immediately take off the heat, add the very chilled milk from the freezer, the vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste, and mix well.
  • Strain the custard into a medium stainless steel bowl, and set bowl over a large bowl filled with ice, and stir the custard mixture until it has cooled and chilled.
  • Add the pureed pumpkin to the cooled custard and mix well.
  • Transfer the pumpkin/custard mixture to your favorite ice cream machine and churn, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Transfer the ice cream, covered, to the freezer to setup for a good 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

15 comments on Roasted Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

By Barbara MacDonald on December 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oh my Virginia, this sounds sinfully good...:-)...I have a very old ice-cream maker that was my Mom's. The kind you put rock salt in and crank and crank...I may have to give this a try . I had bought some last year wanting to try it, but I really had not liked it and was disappointed in it...THIS SOUND GOOD... I am sure the cayenne adds a bit of a kick to it...which would be interesting...Thank you my friend...come spring,I will try this. :-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hello amiga Barbara! Well, we don't have a crank-by-hand ice cream maker, and though ours is electric, it is still considered almost ancient. It is over 25 years old. However it works!

I've had bad tasting pumpkin ice cream, but I've also had great tasting pumpkin ice cream, too. And this one here is a good recipe, if I do say so myself. lol!

Merry Christmas Amiga!

By Barbara MacDonald on December 21, 2012 at 01:36 pm

LOL>>>put that pumpkin pie ice cream in a glass with a little rum...:_)...and we will toast this beautiful New year and to friendship mi amiga... many blessings and hugs

By HomeRearedChef on December 21, 2012 at 07:42 pm

Ooh, I LOVE your idea to add rum. I see you are a woman of great tastes. :) And yes, we will toast our friendship.

Merry Christmas, Amiga, and a VERY Happy New Year to you, too. ~XOXOX

By melanie jean juneau on December 21, 2012 at 08:06 pm

You two are very enterprizing can i come for a visit for dessert? Merry Christmas,may you both be filled with joy and peace

By Barbara MacDonald on December 21, 2012 at 08:13 pm

You know I so seldom have anything to drink now...I had a bottle of coconut rum I bought 3 years ago and finally just opened it last Saturday thinking it might help kill this cold...lol I did sleep well though...

Melanie, how far are you from Hamilton? I have no clue where you are...would it not be wonderful to actually be able to meet...

Blessed Holidays to both of you my friends...hugs...thank you both. :-)

By melanie jean juneau on December 21, 2012 at 08:46 pm

401 km east of hamilton or 4hrs and 19 minutes!The hamlet of Greenbush is THE HUB CANADA!

45 minutes east of Kingston, 50 min. south of Ottawa, 2 hrs west of Montreal, 15 min. north of Brockville. Depending on how fast you drive!! Oh and 3 hrs, east of Toronto. From hamilton

By Barbara MacDonald on December 21, 2012 at 08:50 pm

Well, thank you...that is not too bad eh? Maybe this might be do-able at some point in time...:-) ...

By melanie jean juneau on December 21, 2012 at 09:05 pm

Actually yes, I would love to walk you through my meandering gardens in the spring

By HomeRearedChef on December 22, 2012 at 03:25 am

A very Merry Christmas to both of you, Barbara and Melanie. And if we are ever fortunate to meet, dessert is on me. :)

By Uttam Gill on December 22, 2012 at 08:49 am

I am drooling over this Roasted Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream… How can I be left out...may I join in to supplement Barb with bit of correction and addition...Virginia this sound not sinfully good but sinfully intoxicating...And adding a Rum(Malibu Rum) IN PUMKIN PIE ICECREAM would surely be a great fun...And No glass please...actually a big tumbler will do and all we have to do is gulp it in one go and there after we ensure we don’t tumble...It is said that that TOO MANY COOK SPOILS THE BROTH but in this case...Just see that how we are turning the sweet recipe of Virginia's own Roasted Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream...into BLOW HOT BLOW COLD PUMKIN PIE ICE CREAM…Virginia please don’t frown…lol…have a scoop or wait for a while to sip…no… no…No sipping only Gulping….

Virginia jokes apart thank you very much for being always for being always treating us with great recipes of yours...Keep it up...

By Barbara MacDonald on December 22, 2012 at 08:59 am

Virginia, Melanie, we would have such a wonderful time I know...let's put this out into the universe and wait for it to come to fruition...:-) ....

LOL...@Uttam...you will never be left out my friend...hug...you make me smile...love your sense of humor...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 22, 2012 at 02:13 pm

Dear Uttam, Barbara is very correct, because there is no-way, no-how that we would leave you out, Amigo. And, fyi, it is always my pleasure to share my creations. :)

@Barbara, now we just wait for our moment in time to happen. :)

By souschef on December 23, 2012 at 02:01 am

I love the roasting idea and the bit of cayenne! Just enough to get your attention.

Yummy! Time to get out the ice cream machine.

By HomeRearedChef on December 23, 2012 at 02:16 am

LOL! Souschef, get your ice cream machine out. It can never be too cold to have ice cream, my friend. :)