Friday, December 15, 2017

Conquer the Heart with the Surrender of One Kiss

A wedding: the joining of two hearts and two souls.

A relationship of friendship, passion and love is a rarity.

An anonymous writer once said that “a kiss is something you cannot give without taking and cannot take without giving,” but I also believe that a first kiss can make or break a would-be relationship. And a picture does indeed say a thousand unspoken words; some of the best [now-famous] kisses in the last century have been captured on camera and on canvas:

Le Baiser de Hotel de Ville, Paris, by Robert Doesneau (1950)

V-J Day in Times Square, by Alfred Eisenstaedt (1945)

Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, in From Here to Eternity (1953)

The Kiss, by Gustav Klimt (1907)

NOTE: The poetry in this article is the written work of Virginia Kahler-Anderson

“Two souls, two hearts joined.

Linked; thus working as one mind.

For ever wedded.”

“Arm in arm and cheek to cheek,

We’ll walk; we’ll sit, and talk the great mysteries of life,

And of the years now gone,

And laugh or cry of silly, wayward things we’ve said and done,

And, in the end, we will sleep together.”

“Through the laughter and the tears . . .

Every Moment was worth the memory . . .

Every Memory worth the moment . . .

Though there be riches in abundance, or poverty and despair,

Together . . . holding steadfast in the joining of our hearts.”

I believe that Daniel Heinsius said it best: “You may conquer with the sword, but you are conquered by a kiss.” (1580-1655)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Conquer the Heart with the Surrender of One Kiss

By melanie jean juneau on December 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

So, you are a poet- excellent stuff, great title, picture and memorable quote. this is a 5 for sure

By Barbara MacDonald on December 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Every Moment was worth the memory . . .

Every Memory worth the moment . . .

Though there be riches in abundance, or poverty and despair,

Together . . . holding steadfast in the joining of our hearts. "

beautiful feelings put to words....I love this Virginia...thank you for sharing the romantic poet which lives in sweet harmony in you...

You touch my own heart with these faithful words...hugs and blessings to you and your forever love...xoxo

By HomeRearedChef on December 19, 2012 at 03:38 pm

That is so, so sweet, Melanie. Thank you! By the way, picture is of my youngest daughter's wedding day. She is sucha a happy soul. She'd actually given up finding her soul mate, but God is indeed GOOD! :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 19, 2012 at 03:40 pm

Thank you, Barbara, for the visit and for your words. I guess I am in-love AND happy to be able to write such words. I mean, YOU are a true poet, but I guess that once-in-a-while I have something to say as well. lol!

By Barbara MacDonald on December 19, 2012 at 04:06 pm

This is very well written Virginia, a beautiful expression from your heart...thank you for the compliment, I do love writing poetry very much...I look forward to reading many more...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 19, 2012 at 05:35 pm

And I look forward to reading your post, Barbara. And, as a matter of fact, I believe you've just posted again? I'm going to check it out now. :)

By Uttam Gill on December 19, 2012 at 08:26 pm

Virginia that’s how, I wondered that how come you are so good in cooking…that surely comes from a romantic heart and this poem share so about that…the oozing passion from your words is a treat to read and I feel so...In building the bond, kiss is a magic to last till eternity…Let me share with you an extract from my article… ‘To kiss with love’- “Kiss is the most intimate reflection of passion. It empowers you to say so sincerely and nonverbally that how you mean to be so much in love with her/him”...Keep it up Virginia

By HomeRearedChef on December 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Uttam, I know I've told you this before, but your comments are almost poetry. I think you are wonderful! Thank you for always having something inspiring to say, it lifts my spirits. :)

By souschef on December 22, 2012 at 03:09 pm

I suprise myself by being able to say I can picture everyone of those images in my mind, and each is a different kind of romantic! A great way to lead into your poem which I also liked.

Nice job!

By HomeRearedChef on December 22, 2012 at 03:14 pm

Thank you, Souschef, I appreciate your words. They are most encouraging. :)