Friday, November 24, 2017

New York: My First White Christmas and Coldest Winter

A setting of Dicken's Village.

My first white Christmas and coldest winter I experienced was in New York, standing outside the Rockefeller Center.

We stood outside the buildings of Rockefeller Center admiring a large water fountain—an Atlas of bronze—and an enormously huge Christmas tree (the biggest I’d ever seen), all lit up and dazzling! The night was windy and freezing cold, enough to quite chill you to the bone. The cold that night was also record-setting, and it made the whole experience of visiting New York, well, down-right frightening. I wanted to cry out to my husband and say, “Can we please go home now, back to sunny, warmer California?” I couldn’t feel my fingers or toes or nose. Heck, I didn’t even know if I was breathing!

But it was all so worth it when I saw the snow falling on Christmas morning, and I was instantly in-love with New York. My visit was swiftly turned; it changed to a feeling of almost surreal, it was that beautiful.

We also visited Vermont; Vermont was a colorful canvas, with picturesque roads, trees and homes. I had never experienced such beauty, or such deaf silence in the night. When evening came, and all the lights were out, and everyone had gone to bed, outside was pitch-black and you couldn’t even hear a cricket. What contrast it was to living in busy and noisy San Jose.

But I would forever be smitten with Vermont!

And though I will never forget my wonderful experience in New York and Vermont, I will continue to remain a California girl!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on New York: My First White Christmas and Coldest Winter

By melanie jean juneau on December 17, 2012 at 03:31 pm

I can see the scene you describe perfectly- also manage to capture a sense of magic and mystery

By HomeRearedChef on December 17, 2012 at 04:09 pm

Ooh, thank you, Melanie. Now I have a big smile on my face. :)

By souschef on December 18, 2012 at 03:40 pm

Been to both places so I know just what you are talking about.

The down side to New York is when that lovely snow begins to melt. Then it just becomes icky.

By HomeRearedChef on December 18, 2012 at 04:03 pm

Well, Souschef, I wouldn't want to be there when that happens. I've heard how a messy clean-up that can be. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on December 18, 2012 at 04:46 pm

I am sure Melanie will agree we get our share of snow here in Canada...and I actually love winter very much...I prefer it to the heat and humidity of summer....lol I am sure it was a shock to your system though...it gets mighty cold compared to California...very well described Virgina. You have a way of making me feel like I am right there with you...:-).

By HomeRearedChef on December 18, 2012 at 05:02 pm

As you, dear amiga Barbara, have a way of making smile and feel really good about myself. Thank you, thank you so very much for that! :)

Someday I want to visit Canada. Everyone says it is beautiful there.

By Barbara MacDonald on December 18, 2012 at 05:17 pm

I would love to have you visit Canada Virginia...we could "break bread" and share some Stone Ginger Wine my friend...:-) ...I am still a citizen of the USA...I would never give this up, but I now have dual citizenship....I do very much love living in Canada.

By HomeRearedChef on December 18, 2012 at 05:24 pm

Then it is a date, Amiga! Start chilling the glasses. :)